[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

Hey DMagic, just wanted to leave a small bug report; sometimes you can get a contract to get a 'bio drill' sample from an ocean on Eve (probably Laythe too) but when trying to collect while splashed down, you'll get a message about the XKCD only being for use on the surface. Kind of makes it impossible to complete, but it's easy enough to either reject the contract, or debug and force complete when you've met all the other requirements.

Thanks for working on this great mod! :)

Is this compatible with interstellar?

Not really.

Interstellar replaces stock seismic sensor experiment with its own impactor experiment. And universal storage version of seismic sensor provided by dmagic is not replaced.

Also, interstellar has its own magnetometer, with its own reading system.

Can someone help me with my magnetometer? I can deploy it and the animations will play but it cant seem to work, clicking Log data doesn't do anything, I'm using sciencealert and It's blinking, but when i click on it, it says: can't be done right now.

Anyone else who have this problem?

EDIT: backread a few pages..., damn you curse

Edited by lyndonguitar

I was missing the parts like the Magnetometer boom, Radio and Plasma wave, telescope and the drills in my Linux install. I have installed the universal storage pack but these are not in there either. Does anyone have any information on this?

Update:

I redownloaded the mod via my windows installation and now the parts are showing in the mod. For some weird reason my Ubuntu installation is only showing part of the items. I think this might be causing a few other problems as well.

Edited by reschke
Found some information I was looking for.

I was missing the parts like the Magnetometer boom, Radio and Plasma wave, telescope and the drills in my Linux install. I have installed the universal storage pack but these are not in there either. Does anyone have any information on this?

Update:

I redownloaded the mod via my windows installation and now the parts are showing in the mod. For some weird reason my Ubuntu installation is only showing part of the items. I think this might be causing a few other problems as well.

Knowing linux it could be the dreaded upper/lower casing of parts that does it. Windows sees past this, linux does not. (Antenna and antenna on windows are the same but not on linux)

Version 0.8.6 is out:

The primary changes included are:

- Tweakscale integration for all parts

Is functionality of all parts the same regardless of their scale?

Is it correct, that large scale magnetometer gives the same amount of science but costs more and weighs more?

Is this compatible with interstellar?

It is now :)

I made a module manager patch file that adds the Interstellar impactor experiment to the DMagic Universal Storage accelerometer.

Download this file from dropbox, extract to GameData, say yes when asked to merge. Requires Interstellar mod obviously.

Enjoy!

EDIT: Any contracts that ask for magnetic scans still require the one from DMagic, the Interstellar one will NOT work.

Edited by Hektos
Some clarification

hmm am i the only one that feels that this need more orbital experiments and experiments involving planets/moons without atmospheres?

I'd also be happy if the drill could be used in vacuum :) there's geology there, even without an atmos! An asteroid sampler might be nice too, bring back a few kg on a probe... Maybe a ground sonar to be used at anomalies?

As a general idea, how about something that needs multiple readings, several km apart? Would be nice to have some good reasons for rovers :)

I would like to see a few more long-term science missions (like the Mag+RPWS) using the other DMagic and stock instruments.

Payouts for the long-term missions could probably stand to be increased. Maybe 90k minimum for something like Minimus plus 2k/day for the duration. That would make a 100-day contract worth about 290k. A longer 180-day contract would be 450k reward. A mission to Eve is at least 120 days of transit, plus 120 days in orbit which is 570k minimum (90k launch + 2k/day for expected mission duration).

With the limited contract slots, missions have to compete with each other on a "revenue per mission day" basis (or on a science/day basis).

For example, in stock, a Mun satellite mission (no duration) pays out 100-120k and takes only 2-3 Kerbin days to complete (from acceptance to completion). Minimus has the same pay rate, but takes 10-11 days to complete. For farming funds, putting up Mun satellites is the fastest earner.

hi im having problems with this mod. When i try to collect data from any of the science parts the science log doesnt appear on screen. So i cant collect any science. Any one know what could be the problem? someone is having the same issue?

Am I just using the anomaly sensor wrong, or is this a bug?

http://i.imgur.com/WzJ5BAM.png

For those too lazy to look at the picture: I've parked my probe literally 7m from the monolith on Minmus (which apparently is now on the surface (wish I knew that before spending half my fuel looking for it at 12,000m)), to try and fulfill an "investigate the anomalous signal" mission. The Anomaly Sensor... detects no nearby anomalies.

>lolwut<

I've got v0.9.1 of Orbital Science; I'm using 32-bit 0.90 KSP, and I've got a bunch of other mods installed (I can list them if it helps, I guess).

PS: Sorry if this was posted previously, I did a thread search and read the last 5 pages, but didn't see anything.

PPS: Oh, and it would be neat if magnetometer survey missions displayed desired orbits like the stock "launch a satellite into a specific orbit missions" do. Just saying.

Hello DMagic,

I like KSP and your Mod so much but I have a problem with a goal in my contracts.

The goal: Broad Spectrum Analysis from ... (in my case: ...from high Orbit around Minmus) I don`t know the right scanner oder device for this Broad Spectrum Analysis. I read your Mod Site and ask google and youtube and the german KSP Forum but nobody can explain what this Broad Spectrum Analysis scanner/device is. Please give me a answer for my question I want to run my contracts complete. (My Kerbals feel very boring with this Situation and Jeb and Gene get grey hair now. I think this is an result of contracts-penalty nightmares)

My KSP is version 0.25 and your Mod is version 0.8.5

I've been using this mod for a while and I love it, but I just noticed a small issue with 0.90. I accepted two contracts to send satellites with Goo Containement Units in Minmus orbit and I wanted to use your miniature containers, but apparently they aren't detected as such by the contracts. It's pretty sad since I wasted 50000$ and have tow useless satellites in orbit ;_;

Is functionality of all parts the same regardless of their scale?

Is it correct, that large scale magnetometer gives the same amount of science but costs more and weighs more?

That's correct.

Am I just using the anomaly sensor wrong, or is this a bug?

There are probably still some bugs with the anomaly system.

Are there plans to update the ORSX scanning capabilities on the Soil Moisture Sensor and the like to Regolith? I rather enjoyed using those parts instead of the big honkin' USI planetary camera.

Yep. These will be fixed.

Hello DMagic,

I like KSP and your Mod so much but I have a problem with a goal in my contracts.

The goal: Broad Spectrum Analysis from ... (in my case: ...from high Orbit around Minmus) I don`t know the right scanner oder device for this Broad Spectrum Analysis. I read your Mod Site and ask google and youtube and the german KSP Forum but nobody can explain what this Broad Spectrum Analysis scanner/device is. Please give me a answer for my question I want to run my contracts complete. (My Kerbals feel very boring with this Situation and Jeb and Gene get grey hair now. I think this is an result of contracts-penalty nightmares)

My KSP is version 0.25 and your Mod is version 0.8.5

That's the imaging platform (the egg shaped thing). That version is very out-of-date and this issue should be clarified with more recent versions. 0.9.0.2 is the latest version supported by 0.25.

I've been using this mod for a while and I love it, but I just noticed a small issue with 0.90. I accepted two contracts to send satellites with Goo Containement Units in Minmus orbit and I wanted to use your miniature containers, but apparently they aren't detected as such by the contracts. It's pretty sad since I wasted 50000$ and have tow useless satellites in orbit ;_;

What contract? Did you try stock goo pods, or my Universal Storage goo pod? What happened when you tried to collect data with my parts, were there any screen messages?

What contract? Did you try stock goo pods, or my Universal Storage goo pod? What happened when you tried to collect data with my parts, were there any screen messages?

It was a vanilla satellite contract that asked to put a satellite in synchronous orbit of Minmus with a Goo container. If I build a satellite with your miniature goo pod the parameter "Have a goo container on the satellite" doesn't detect it as expected, but it works with a stock one so I guess that these contracts require specifically the stock goo pod, not any goo pod like you'd expect from the wording. I haven't tried the Universal Storage version because I don't use that mod. I suppose that the miniature materials bay may have the same issue but I haven't tested it, I haven't unlocked the required technology yet.

It was a vanilla satellite contract that asked to put a satellite in synchronous orbit of Minmus with a Goo container. If I build a satellite with your miniature goo pod the parameter "Have a goo container on the satellite" doesn't detect it as expected, but it works with a stock one so I guess that these contracts require specifically the stock goo pod, not any goo pod like you'd expect from the wording. I haven't tried the Universal Storage version because I don't use that mod. I suppose that the miniature materials bay may have the same issue but I haven't tested it, I haven't unlocked the required technology yet.

Yep, I'm pretty sure those contracts work based on the part name, not based on what the part does or the experiment name. There's nothing to be done about that.

Hi I have a mission to find and study an anomaly on the mun at roughly 0 north 30 east. I think I found it just in the north crater. Well Scan Sat says its the right area and an anomaly shows up there but no matter what altitude I am at even hovering 30ms over it nothing is detected by the anomaly sensor. Was I in roughly the right place? If so bug? If not where should I be?

Great mods and thanks for all the work

Hi I have a mission to find and study an anomaly on the mun at roughly 0 north 30 east. I think I found it just in the north crater. Well Scan Sat says its the right area and an anomaly shows up there but no matter what altitude I am at even hovering 30ms over it nothing is detected by the anomaly sensor. Was I in roughly the right place? If so bug? If not where should I be?

Great mods and thanks for all the work

anomaly detector can be buggy on some anomalies. most of the the time it helps going to the space center and load the vessel again via the tracking station. had this issue too lately on the mun arch02, while landed on top of it :D

hmm tried that and reloaded the game still not working. Am I in the right place?

If so Ill just ignore this mission for now and come back to it when a new version is out. Thanks

Edit :ok that's odd just reloaded again and it says the mission is done. Well I'm not complaining but I'm not sure what I did. :)

Is there a larger space telescope in the works? I was thinking something about the size of a Science Lab that can have different modules added to the back of it for different cameras. The extra camera modules would be about the size of a large flywheel and can be attached by a docking port to the back if needed.

Some of the camera types (besides the normal stock one) are:

Far IR

Near IR

Wide Field

Deep Field

Near UV

Far UV

One feature you can use with it that I'm sure would be very hard to program would be having you take pictures of a target. An example would be to have the telescope active in orbit of Kerbin and you set Jool as the target. You can then run of the installed cameras on that target without having to go there.