[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

47 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@mafkaas300 You seem to have a lot of out-of-date mods installed. The latest version of Orbital Science is 1.2.3, you have 1.2.1. There are several others that look old, too.

Allready!? It feels like yesterday when I last checked for the newest versions of mods.

I am very sorry for filling up useless space. My bad.

7 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@mafkaas300 I'll need to test it out to see if something has changed that would cause this problem. 

Can you see if the asteroid scanner dishes actually point at each other?

Yes, they point at each other and with the yellow lights blinking. When I fly with one of the probes and target the asteroid the dish points to the other one.

@mafkaas300 It looks like they changed how asteroid colliders work. They now seem to share the same collider layer as regular parts, meaning I'll have to update and that the two sensors will need a clear line-of-sight between each other, with only the asteroid between. Before they could ignore any other parts that got in the way, which made things a lot simpler.

I was hoping to get a little help. I have done a fresh 1.1 install, and reinstalled all of my mods. When I moved my 1.1 save file over, I keep getting this error. I apologize in advance if this isn't quite the right place for this. I wasn't entirely sure which forum this belongs.

I'm a little confused why it's happening; I have the orbital science mod installed, I just put a fresh updated copy in. It acts like it doesn't in fact have the part installed, and so it can't load the vessel. It was giving me an error that the part doesn't exist.. This results in a bugged game if I try and load the save, with me unable to do anything but stare at space and an invisible ship.

Is there an easy way to remove the part from the persistent file so that it no longer needs to load it? Or, ideally, is there a way to fix this problem without removing the part? I tried simply removing the DTMagnetometer parts from the vessel in the persistent file, but it didn't quite work. It didn't give me the error and loaded my ship, but as soon as the physics initialized, the command pod shot out a million km/hr, the rest of my ship turned invisible and I ended up with a bugged game. I may be new to KSP, but I am not new to coding, and I know I correctly edited out the part from the persistent file, so I assume it's not as simple as simply deleting the lines of code that say the magnetometer is a part on my vessel.

http://imgur.com/ilEoAo4

https://www.dropbox.com/s/55spejpnta0t6k9/persistent.sfs?dl=0

@KocLobster The DTMagnetometer comes from somethings else, KSPI I think.

@jhultgre That's strange, it looks like something is wrong with the magnetometer experiment. Can you check to see if the magnetometer actually works? And can you provide log files?

You might still be able to complete the contract as is, just do the tow RPWS experiments and see if the parent parameter completes. If it doesn't you can finish everything else then use the Contracts Tab in the Alt+F12 menu to force the contract to be completed.

Version 1.2.4 is out; get it on Space Dock.

It fixes some issues with EVA scientist resets, lab data, asteroid experiments, contract waypoints, and reduces the total amount of science available from asteroids for each experiment.

It also adds a transmitter module to the SIGINT dish; it has fast transmission rates, but uses lots of power; Antenna Range and Remote Tech configs are not included. Search tags have been added for all parts, they are mostly the same as the stock science tags. And a public API has been added for better compatibility with other mods.

4 hours ago, DMagic said:

It also adds a transmitter module to the SIGINT dish; it has fast transmission rates, but uses lots of power;

@DMagic Quick question for you and I'll slap the Antenna Range cfg together in seconds.  Reading the description leads me to believe this is a short range but extremely fast/costly transmitter.  Am I correct on that or were you intending the transmission capabilities to have longer reach? 

Edited by rasta013

@rasta013 Longer range makes sense, and you can alter the data transmission levels for Antenna Range too if you want, I was just thinking intuitively a big dish seems like it should require more power but send data faster/in bigger packets.

Also, I'll include any configs that people can agree on in the next version.

Edited by DMagic

@DMagic Ok, here's a start anyway.  It's tested and works but until I actually do some play testing with it I'm not entirely sure of the balance.  This config will cover both stock and OPM configurations (can't express my love for the new MM flexibility!).  I've kept the power usage and transmission rates and it's that balance that I'm not sure.  Since AR allows for increased power usage once you get beyond nominal ranges I wanted to offset that.  So, I've given it ranges that can cover the entire solar system no matter what so it will always be inside nominal range.  This will allow the continued use of ridiculous needs for power with that massive transfer speed being the perk of placing this thing out that far.

Spoiler

//Stock Config
@PART[dmSIGINT]:NEEDS[DMagicOrbitalScience&AntennaRange,!RemoteTech,!OPM]
{
    @MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]
    {
        @name = ModuleLimitedDataTransmitter
        nominalRange = 23500000000
        simpleRange = 128906979477
        maxPowerFactor = 1
        maxDataFactor = 1
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleScienceContainer

dataIsCollectable = true
        dataIsStorable = false

storageRange = 2
    }
}

//OPM Config
@PART[dmSIGINT]:NEEDS[DMagicOrbitalScience&AntennaRange&OPM,!RemoteTech]
{
    @MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]
    {
        @name = ModuleLimitedDataTransmitter
        nominalRange = 223500000000
        simpleRange = 688560162067
        maxPowerFactor = 1
        maxDataFactor = 1
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleScienceContainer

dataIsCollectable = true
        dataIsStorable = false

storageRange = 2
    }
}

In case you're not familiar with AR configurations, that ModuleScienceContainer is there so when someone transmits and inevitably runs out of juice the antenna won't just fail the transmission and lose any unsent data.  If I see any real problems after doing some hyperedited testing I'll report back with any changes that might be needed.  Hope this helps!

Edited by rasta013
Because I can be an idiot at times...

Just a question Dmagic- I fell in love with this pack from day one (my rovers were forever not having much to do) but I was wondering something- several of the science expenements added to this mod, such as the Magnetometer or laser scanner give zero data to Labs as far as I can tell (tested at: Mun, Minmus, KSC) and I was wondering if that's a deliberate decision or just a glitch.

mainly because I probably can't fix glitchness with MM, but deliberate design choices I disagree with can be :P

or if you just haven't caught your experimet defs up to how labs work now. that could also be a thing.

2 hours ago, DMagic said:

@rasta013 The long range makes sense. I might lower the transmission power a bit, I think it's at 55 now, so maybe 45 or 40.

Well I've been doing some hyperedited testing with it and could understand why you might want to do that.  Near the extreme ends of the range (Eeloo/Plock) the transmission costs can be pretty steep.  Worst case scenario is dropping 1760 EC from a 128 MiT result which, while high, is not really a killer on most large probes and definitely shouldn't really be a problem on any kerbal filled ship.  Underneath that max range that EC usage drops.  In Antenna Range, the MaxPowerFactor and MaxDataFactor cause the costs and rates of transmission to fluctuate.  EC usage will drop off the closer you get to Kerbin and the transmission rate will increase.  As a result it can cause the EC usage to drop off significantly for closer bodies.  For a stock configuration without AR installed I could definitely see the argument for dropping the EC usage because it is hefty and never fluctuates no matter where you are.  But under AR if you drop the rate you'll end up making it pretty easy to use this on any kind of nearby target.  If you decide to drop it then raising MaxPowerFactor and reducing the nominal range so the more distant planets will actually require a high expenditure of EC use might be a better choice than a system wide power hog.  This is just some insight into the internal mechanics of AR and how all these numbers work together.  Balancing a monster like this is always tough but getting there is half the fun. :D

23 minutes ago, DMagic said:

I haven't really tested it, but I think it should work fine in 1.1.2. If it does I'll update Space Dock and CKAN.

I've been doing some early-game experiments around kerbin without issue.  The universal storage versions also seem fine.

Looks like the Multi Spectral Imaging Platform is no longer integrating with ScanSat - I can't see a toggle to start the scanning from it

Love your mods by the way, thankyou very much for spending time building and maintaining them

9 hours ago, Gorgonzola said:

Looks like the Multi Spectral Imaging Platform is no longer integrating with ScanSat - I can't see a toggle to start the scanning from it

Love your mods by the way, thankyou very much for spending time building and maintaining them

My mistake - needed the latest ModuleManager, and it all came to life again - version 2.6.24

Does the Seismic Impact Hammer and pods have to be attached to a vessel to work? Nothing happens when I try clicking select seismic data, after I dropped it on Minmus with KAS