[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

Ok, so I set raised my AP:350km & PE:103km (that should be a Ecc of >0.5)

You need a higher Ap then just 350km. Kerbin has a radius of 600km, so your orbit is actually:

Ap 350+600 = 950km

Pe 103+600 = 703km

That's an eccentricity of only 0.35 (I think...), you need to raise that Ap to at least 806km orbital altitude. I always double-check my numbers using KER (Kerbal Engineer Redux) Orbital window which has a setting for displaying Eccentricity (and Orbital Period which is also very useful).

I couldn't find this particular issue brought up, although there were people with similar problems: I have a contract completion issue. The contract is to survey an asteroid (Magnetometer Scan from space nearby, Soil Moisture Scan from space nearby, and Laser Surface Scan while grappled). I bring this up because the cause of the other people's problems was not using DMagic parts--but I am using DMagic parts for all three of those. Here's what happened: I flew out to the asteroid, performed the nearby scans (successfully!), then proceeded to grapple so I could use the Surface Ablation Laser Light Imager to perform the final scan. But when I click the "Collect Laser Data" button, nothing happens. I don't even get a science window showing a data value. Am I not actually "grappled" correctly? I only know of two parts that will grab something and attach: the Cat's Paw part from RoverDude's Asteroid Recycling Technologies (which is currently not working) and the Advanced Grabbing Unit (which I thought was a DMagic part). I am using the AGU. Am I missing some key part in the VAB list?

You need a higher Ap then just 350km. Kerbin has a radius of 600km, so your orbit is actually:

Ap 350+600 = 950km

Pe 103+600 = 703km

That's an eccentricity of only 0.35 (I think...), you need to raise that Ap to at least 806km orbital altitude. I always double-check my numbers using KER (Kerbal Engineer Redux) Orbital window which has a setting for displaying Eccentricity (and Orbital Period which is also very useful).

Unfortunately, this is an unmanned probe, KER is not available for this satellite. :mad:.

And your right, I did forgot to include the Kerbin Radius, so it would be 950 & 703 like you indicated. :rolleyes:

AND when I do the ecc calculation for those numbers, it comes out to be 0.149..... :D

Just under the 0.15 I needed. So I guess I just need to raise the AP a few more kilometers.

Thanks,

EDIT: Yes, raising the AP about 2-3 Km did complete the ecc requirement. Now I just need to wait 6 Kerbal Months to complete the contract. :P

Edited by BlackHat

I couldn't find this particular issue brought up, although there were people with similar problems: I have a contract completion issue. The contract is to survey an asteroid (Magnetometer Scan from space nearby, Soil Moisture Scan from space nearby, and Laser Surface Scan while grappled). I bring this up because the cause of the other people's problems was not using DMagic parts--but I am using DMagic parts for all three of those. Here's what happened: I flew out to the asteroid, performed the nearby scans (successfully!), then proceeded to grapple so I could use the Surface Ablation Laser Light Imager to perform the final scan. But when I click the "Collect Laser Data" button, nothing happens. I don't even get a science window showing a data value. Am I not actually "grappled" correctly? I only know of two parts that will grab something and attach: the Cat's Paw part from RoverDude's Asteroid Recycling Technologies (which is currently not working) and the Advanced Grabbing Unit (which I thought was a DMagic part). I am using the AGU. Am I missing some key part in the VAB list?

Do you have screenshots of the issue? Is the laser going through the motions, but not giving results, or just not doing anything; are you running out of power? Is there anything in the log files?

There shouldn't really be anything special needed for this to work. Anything that grapples an asteroid (which basically docks the two vessels together, making them one) should allow for my parts to collect data from the surface if they allow it. Have you tried running the magnetometer while grappled to the asteroid? It should also give results (the soil moisture scanner won't work when grappled) even if they don't count toward the contract.

Here are a pair of screenshots. The first shows my electric charge and the part selected; the second is an "action shot" during the laser firing. Sorry about the ambiguity: the laser fires and goes through all the motions, but no data window ever appears afterward. I also tried the magnetometer again now that I'm attached (you can see it extended in the screenshots), but it does not produce a data window either. I can extend/retract it, but it doesn't appear to log any data. I have also attached the output log file.

Could the asteroid type be causing the problem? I wouldn't think so, considering the two parts of the contract that worked.

KSP_1:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8oho93xvvl0f6y2/KSP_1.jpg?dl=0

KSP_1.jpg?dl=0

KSP_2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3pzmqnemnp3zugc/KSP_2.jpg?dl=0

KSP_2.jpg?dl=0

Output file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yc8c6paaj76nga8/output_log.txt?dl=0

Here are a pair of screenshots. The first shows my electric charge and the part selected; the second is an "action shot" during the laser firing. Sorry about the ambiguity: the laser fires and goes through all the motions, but no data window ever appears afterward. I also tried the magnetometer again now that I'm attached (you can see it extended in the screenshots), but it does not produce a data window either. I can extend/retract it, but it doesn't appear to log any data. I have also attached the output log file.

There are quite a few out-of-date plugins in there, including mine. Update to version 0.9.2 and it should fix the problem.

Is this happening in orbit of the sun? There was a bug in 0.9.1 where planets without biome maps (only the Sun and Jool) caused errors whenever a biome-sensitive instrument, like the laser or magnetometer on the surface, tried to access that non-existent biome map. That has been fixed in latest version.

You also have an old version of SCANsat (it would be nice if everyone made it so easy to see which version is loaded from the log files...), which should work fine, but won't show resources for Karbonite, MKS, etc... And you have an old, very badly broken version of Tarsier Space Tech. Download [THREAD=111157]JPLRepo's fixed version[/THREAD]. The old version not only breaks Tarsier, but it breaks other addons as well.

Hm, should the exobiology core drill require contact with the ground? Because I accidentially did it with the drill upside down and it worked anyway.

I always place it where it would contact the ground anyway.

Maybe the other parts are in the way? Then again, I don't think the laser actually needs to contact the surface for it to work.

Someday these will get fixed so that they actually have to hit the ground like the X-Ray experiment does. I'll need to fix them so that they reliably point where you expect them to first though.

Edited by DMagic

You mean "breaks DMagic Orbital Science", right? I don't think Tarsier has been known to break itself. :wink:

Oh not at all. If it does break this it's only in a relatively minor way (it's all dependent on scenario module load order and I'm not really sure how that is decided, maybe based on the order they were installed?). But old version of Tarsier break in one of the worst ways possible. It interrupts the scenario module loading process, preventing any further scenario modules from loading. Many mods are completely dependent upon that happening (SCANsat won't work at all, for instance).

This line, which shows up every time a new scene is loaded, is one of the first things I look for when I see Tarsier in the list of installed addons.

[TST]: Getting Telescope Galaxy Status
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at TarsierSpaceTech.TSTProgressTracker.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScenarioModule.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScenarioRunner.AddModule (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ProtoScenarioModule.Load (.ScenarioRunner host) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScenarioRunner+ .MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I have previously made small parts that were counterweights, just small objects that had different masses so that I could counterweight things. This solves the problem, If you need I can go looking for them just let me know. Otherwise, just choose a part that you like the looks of copy its cfg file, pull out most of its data and just give it a weight, poof counterweight.

So if an orbital survey mission requires a Multispectral scan in low orbit over, say, minmus. If overzealous me went around and fetched the 100% on all biomes on Minmus, i'm SOL for that mission ?

So if an orbital survey mission requires a Multispectral scan in low orbit over, say, minmus. If overzealous me went around and fetched the 100% on all biomes on Minmus, i'm SOL for that mission ?

If you've already collected all of the science from Minmus it shouldn't ask for that experiment anymore. The only way it can be a problem is if you collect all of that science after the contract has been offered but before you accept it.

But regardless of that, you can always return the science to Kerbin and recover the vessel. If you recover the experiment it won't check for the science value.

But regardless of that, you can always return the science to Kerbin and recover the vessel. If you recover the experiment it won't check for the science value.

Yeah i gave the text a second reading, did find a biome with some points left so i radioed them in. But the mission text says exactly what you just said

Hi

I'm not sure if this is known behaviour, but I recently started a game where I installed Community tech Tree and techmanager from CKAN. I noticed all the Universal Storage goo wedge was missing and when I opened the next node, none of the other ones (like USI magnometer) were present.

Starting a sandbox game everything was present!

So reasoning that it was a tech tree problem I removed techmanger and CTT and the USI orbital science stuff came back

No idea why, but I thought I'd mention it in thread in case anyone else has that problem and is searching

Hi

I'm not sure if this is known behaviour, but I recently started a game where I installed Community tech Tree and techmanager from CKAN. I noticed all the Universal Storage goo wedge was missing and when I opened the next node, none of the other ones (like USI magnometer) were present.

Starting a sandbox game everything was present!

So reasoning that it was a tech tree problem I removed techmanger and CTT and the USI orbital science stuff came back

No idea why, but I thought I'd mention it in thread in case anyone else has that problem and is searching

they have likely been placed in other nodes of the CTT tech tree different from what you were expecting in the stock tech tree - check the MM file to see what the CTT set up and distribution is for tech unlocks

Love the mod so far but am having an issue with it, once i deploy one of the Science mods, it won't let me actually collect data. anyway to fix that? I am running KSP version .25, please get back to me as soon as you can, and thank you

Which part are you useing? Many of them need to be used in vee specific ways.

Do you have to complete the time requirement for magnetometer scans before you can complete the data gathering parts? I.e. will I need to wait, say 90 days, after getting into the correct orbit profile before running the eperiments?

Love the mod so far but am having an issue with it, once i deploy one of the Science mods, it won't let me actually collect data. anyway to fix that? I am running KSP version .25, please get back to me as soon as you can, and thank you

I'm having this same problem on .25, worked fine on .90 for me but the experiments wont work now (I downgraded because my .90 game was so glitch, some mods are so much more compatable, but not this one .. :( ) its a shame because i love this mod

Do you have to complete the time requirement for magnetometer scans before you can complete the data gathering parts? I.e. will I need to wait, say 90 days, after getting into the correct orbit profile before running the eperiments?

Other way around on the magnetic field scan contracts.

1. Get into the proper orbit (eccentricity >= X, inclination >= Y)

2. Make sure Pe is < the high/low orbit border, make sure Ap is > the high/low orbit border

3. Log and transmit Mag and RPWS readings at Ap, repeat at Pe - that starts the timer.

4. Leave craft in that orbit for N days

For a list of the orbital altitudes which correspond to high/low orbit, see:

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Science

I generally just dedicate one probe with a Mag + RPWS sensor pair to each planetary body. Once in a good eccentric polar orbit, it stays there for the rest of the game.

I'm having this same problem on .25, worked fine on .90 for me but the experiments wont work now (I downgraded because my .90 game was so glitch, some mods are so much more compatable, but not this one .. :( ) its a shame because i love this mod

Don't use the latest version if you are still on KSP 0.25, download the last version before 0.90 was released.

Other way around on the magnetic field scan contracts.

1. Get into the proper orbit (eccentricity >= X, inclination >= Y)

2. Make sure Pe is < the high/low orbit border, make sure Ap is > the high/low orbit border

3. Log and transmit Mag and RPWS readings at Ap, repeat at Pe - that starts the timer.

4. Leave craft in that orbit for N days

Not quite, that isn't how contracts work.

If a contract parameter has sub-parameters then you need to complete or satisfy the conditions specified in those before completing the parent parameter. And you need to complete all top level parameters before completing the contract.

Sub-parameters are shown in a darker font and offset slightly to the right. The two orbital parameters, eccentricity and inclination, are sub-parameters of the orbit time parameter. You need to meet both of those conditions before the long orbit time parameter can start running.

Different top level parameters are completely independent of each other (generally, it is possible in some round-about way to make top level parameters dependent on each other, but that's what sub-parameters are for), so the Mag and RPWS science results are completely independent of the orbit parameters. They don't even need to be collected by the same vessel (you can actually have two different vessels to complete each of the orbital parameters if you want), there is no order involved.

Don't use the latest version if you are still on KSP 0.25, download the last version before 0.90 was released.

yeah I just found it, thanks! only reason I mentioned it was I didn't see where to get it from, all working now :) love this mod!