[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

Love the mod but I've run into a problem and couldn't find an answer. I have a Survey Kerbin contract and can complete everything but Multi Spectral Analysis Data from low orbit above Kerbin. Let the Multispectral run for a few days at 80km with an incidence of 79.73 (in preparation to going up to 498km to be at the correct scanning altitude for the multi). Recorded 27 sci points worth of data. Tried sending from orbit. Didn't trigger the completion of that portion of the contract. So I saved the analysed data and recovered the probe. Still no completion. So what (if anything) am I doing wrong? Thanks!

EDIT: Ok I tried again using the DMagic Multi not the SCANSat Multi (der!) @ 125km equatorial orbit. I had to do the Log Imaging Data choice for it to complete. Testing with the SCANSat Multi module next.

Ok I'm the idiot here obviously. Does NOT work with the SCANSat Multi does with the DMagic Multi but is somewhat ambiguous in that it asks for Analysis Data when what is wants is Log Imaging Data.

Edited by ranathane

I can't seem to be able to take data with a scientist on EVA from several US experiments (tried Mystery Goo and the Science Jr so far); the menu option doesn't show up even if I'm very close. I can take data from the Orbital Telescope US wedge, however.

Is this intended behavior? Couldn't find any reports about that on the past few pages nor in the FAQ.

EDIT: Seems like the SETI Tech Tree actually changes the dataIsCollectable property for some of the experiments for balancing reasons. I wasn't even aware that property existed, as I have never encountered a non-collectable experiment before; and I've only very recently installed SETI. So this is not a bug of DMagic after all!

Edited by Sput42

Balance issues-- both literally and figuratively

This is a great mod for adding additional science and contracts, the only complaint I have is the science modules have various odd mass values on the parts make it difficult to achieve proper balance on the spacecraft, unless you use the US wedges.

Which brings me to my other issue: The US wedges, while balanced against each other, are much more massive than the original parts (e.g. 2Hot + Presmat = .010, goo = .05, Orbital Tele .035, equivalent wedge = .080) the only exception I have found thus far is the science jr. wedge which is less than half the mass of the equivalent stock module. I could understand the wedges might add some extra shielding and thus weight/mass, but they actually have the same temperature limit as the originals. In summary, the science wedges should probably have a mass value about half of what they do currently (.04 each) in order to provide a significant alternative to the stock science parts. If you increase that slightly to account for the reduction in the Science Jr. you arrive at something around (.05)-- this would make a US quadcore with 4 of your science wedges have a mass of .25 which seems like a reasonable mass as a group since they are sharing the structural support, housing materials, shielding etc as wedges vs. self-contained/stand alone components.

I realize the temperature rating you are using is in line with the rest of the US wedges, so it is not necessarily your problem, but as a note while I am on the topic, I think the wedges should have a temperature rating of at least double the current value of 1200 degrees to reflect that the wedge structure provides additional protection that the stock naked parts do not have.

TL:DR

The non-wedge science parts are all different weights which makes them hard to balance and the science wedges are balanced, but too heavy to be worthwhile compared to stock.

Edited by Smurfalot

Balance issues-- both literally and figuratively...

(again i'm at work so cant validate) - how much is the "ScienceBay" empty wedge by US - that can be used as a basis for what the support structure should be for wedges as its just an empty wedge

also the minor diffierences in balance from these parts should theoretically be able to be offset by the torque of reaction wheels

Speaking of Universal Storage, the latest US version has all wedges assigned to a new "wedge" bulkhead profile. I've made an icon for them, so FilterExtensions should sort them into their own category soon; you might want to update your US parts' bulkheadProfiles entries to join them.

Hey just a very minor comment.

For the magnetic survey contract there is a counter for the days remaining in orbit to complete the contract. If it reaches zero and other terms of the contract are still incomplete (magnetometer scan in high/low orbit etc) then it starts going negative. Not sure if its a bug or a feature just mentioning it looked a bit out of place (-78 days remaining).

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for this amazing mod!

Are the contracts to conduct surveys on asteroids always given a time limit to completion of ~3 years? I have never been able to get enough dV out of the Kerbin SOI to complete within time frame.

I'm not sure why this is a problem. You don't have to go anywhere to conduct the asteroid surveys, they only require an asteroid of a specific class, not a specific location, just wait until they come to you if time is a problem.

Hey just a very minor comment.

For the magnetic survey contract there is a counter for the days remaining in orbit to complete the contract. If it reaches zero and other terms of the contract are still incomplete (magnetometer scan in high/low orbit etc) then it starts going negative. Not sure if its a bug or a feature just mentioning it looked a bit out of place (-78 days remaining).

Yep, I noticed this the other day, I fixed it so it only counts down until you actually complete that part of the contract, after that it will show the original amount of time required. Usually this is the last parameter to be completed for these contracts, so that value will only show up in the archives, but if you don't have the other parameters completed it is still obvious that you have completed the orbit section of the contract.

And many changes will be included in the next update for contract reward balancing (significant drops in science and rep rewards, smaller drops in funds rewards), and a minor redesign of how survey contracts are presented and explained that should both clarify exactly what is needed for each contract, and make completing them a bit simpler when you have trouble getting results for one of the parameters. US parts have been adjusted, and the mass lowered, some of the other parts have been adjusted as well. KIS support will also be included, and lots of resource scanning and other related modules will be added back to my parts where they make sense. Lots of other minor fixes will be included.

Hmmm the placement of your parts in the tech tree for Community Tech Tree definitely needs another pass. GORESat and Solar Particle Collector in aerodynamics nodes? Nothing really makes sense...

Any suggestions for mounting the magnetometer inside the instrument bay? I can't find an orientation that would let it extend without it clipping into stuff.

The larger payload bay part from the sounding rocket mod works very well for this.

Version 1.0.4 is out; get it on Kerbal Stuff.

This update has numerous contract updates and balancing tweaks; science and rep is reduced significantly.

Various part mass, cost and tech tree positions are included, along with KIS support and resource scanner modules.

More Outer Planets Mod science results have been added.

Various minor bugs have been fixed.

Check the first post for the full change log.

Version 1.0.4 is out; get it on Kerbal Stuff.

This update has numerous contract updates and balancing tweaks; science and rep is reduced significantly.

Various part mass, cost and tech tree positions are included, along with KIS support and resource scanner modules.

More Outer Planets Mod science results have been added.

Various minor bugs have been fixed.

Check the first post for the full change log.

When you say "70-90%", does this mean that they give 70-90% as much science as they used to, or 70-90% less science?

When you say "70-90%", does this mean that they give 70-90% as much science as they used to, or 70-90% less science?

Yeah I'm not sure I want to download this update if that's the case, cause those science contracts are the only thing keeping me afloat due to all the extra nodes I have

Reduced by 70-90%, which probably isn't actually accurate, more like 50-80%. Magnetic field survey contracts have been reduced by about 80% or so, but they give an additional science reward upon completion. The other surveys are reduced by more like 50-70%. But the standard orbital surveys already require that the experiments requested have science remaining. Asteroid surveys don't technically require remaining science, but unless you are an asteroid hunting fiend they probably will have plenty.

Why would anyone be using this mod if they wanted a 90% science reward cut??

Because it gives you thirteen other ways to get science, along with four science focused contracts.

If you are having problems getting enough science while using previous versions then you are doing something wrong. Even in hard mode, with science reduced by 60% (and further reduced for contracts), and using the CTT you should be swimming in excess science.

If you want more then you can increase the science contract modifier in the config file.

I should also note that existing contracts are not affected. The reward and parameter changes will have no effect on them, only newly offered contracts.

Edited by DMagic

Honestly I am in the same boat here.

-80% science reward !?! Please no :(

I am playing with KCT and kinda realistic way (RemoteTech/lifesupport/...), this mean I won't be able to go to duna/eve/jool and back using 10000x time accelaration and win thousand of science in minutes.

I am only at tier 3 on the stock science tech tree and I already feel the need to grind for science point.

This mod use to be my savior because of its generous rewards, I always felt sad wen I saw stock experiments rewards for 2-8 science points when some techtree ask for +500 each.

I think I will stick with previous version then as well :/

Please maybe make an optional hard setting or something.

Or bind the reward amount to the game's science reward slider maybe ?

Anyway thanks for this awesome mod ;)

I should also note that existing contracts are not affected. The reward and parameter changes will have no effect on them, only newly offered contracts.

Okay, now I feel much better. I've just accepted a contract to study the Sun's magnetic field (i.e. 6 km/s retrograde burn after escaping Kerbin, in order to get to low solar orbit) and was not looking forward to potentially losing three-quarters of the reward for that one. Thanks for the clarification!

I've got a contract for anomalous readings on Kerbin, which requires the Multi-Spectral Analysis experiment.

Which can't be used on the surface or in the atmosphere.

Do I really need to hover above 70km, exactly over the spot to actually complete this?

I actually agree that the science rewards needed to be reduced a fair bit, as they really didn't fit in with the rest of the stock contracts.

For those of you bemoaning this loss (as I probably will when I start my next fresh game) I would strongly recommend looking into using the Mobile Processing Lab. Combined with all of DMagic's extra experiments, just throw one of these up on Minmus with some wheels/rockets and biome-hop your way to the scientific high life.

Or, just edit the config files. Ain't no shame in playing the game the way you wanna play it.

So, -80% science reward seems to be the way to go then...

Regarding .cfg file editing :

Will editing the line "Global_Science_Return = 1" in Contract_Experiments_DM.cfg suffice and act as a global multiplier where 2 means +100%, or do we need to edit every single line (ScienceMultiplier = #) in all PARAM section of all .cfg files ?

Thanks.