[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

@dlrk Do you mean the seismic hammer is just lying on, or attached to, the ground? I don't think it will work.

The seismic pods can be placed on the ground by a Kerbal, though you will have to make sure to activate them. But the seismic hammer probably won't be in the right position for it to work.

I updated Space Dock and CKAN to mark this as 1.1.2 compatible. Let me know if anyone finds any new problems.

actually, speaking of the seismic hammer, something I've been having a devil of a time figuring out- how is the Science for that calced? it doesn't seem to be purely distance, and it's not number of sensors (some of my test rigs at the KSC have been... extreme) and frankly I'm getting 40% at best most of the time no matter if I fly a ridiculous hovercrane dropping a pod every three feet or if I just stick four of 'em onto a lander and decouple 'em when I land. so, really, what's the optimal arrangement of sensor pods? in terms of numbers, distribution/distance, and so on.

@Mechtech If you look in the VAB info box there is a section on the ideal ranges and angles between seismic pods. These values can be changed in the DMSeismicSettings.cfg file in the Resources folder.

Basically how it works is this:

The hammer by itself will get only 40% of the total science available.

A pod by itself will get only 20%.

When you have the hammer and seismic pods you have to separate them from the same vessel (except for asteroids, where you will get 100% as long as you have the hammer and one pod on the same vessel).

A minimum distance of 10m from the seismic hammer's vessel is required for a pod to be counted (make sure that the pod is turned on, this will happen automatically when decoupling).

For each pod more than 10m away from the vessel you will get an additional 10% science, up to 20%.

To get the max science you will need two seismic pods; one somewhere in the ideal "near" distance (500-2500m), which can usually be accomplished with the decoupler. And another in the ideal "far" distance (4 - 15km), which in most cases will require some other means of deployment. Anything below the ideal distances (10-500m and 2.5-4km) will give you less than full amount on a sliding scale.

The two pods will also need to be placed at different angles in relation to where the seismic hammer is. Anything less than 20o won't count, anything above 90o will give the full amount, with a sliding scale between.

Also, if you put down more that 5 pods you should get 100% science regardless of the distance and positioning (though I think they all have to be at least 10m away).

This is something that I really want to put into a KSPedia entry, along with information about all of the other non-standard experiments.

I seem unable to do a number of tweakscale things with the Big Brother recon camera. The way I understand it, it's just a module you add in the code to your part...so I believe this belongs in this thread, not TweakScale's.

For this part, I can't alter the scale at all before it's connected to something (if you select it from the part list and put it down in the VAB before adding it, you can't scale it). This is unlike all other parts.

Also, I can't shrink it past its normal 2.5m size with the buttons. I have to manually use the slider to shrink it, and I cant quite slide it down all the way.

Anyone else have this problem?

I'm running 64bit Win7, 64bit 1.1.2 KSP, and the most up to date versions of TweakScale and DMagic's (awesome) mod.

Hi there! Like many others in here, I would like to thank you for this mod for the wide variety of reasons.  For me, I like the varied types of science missions/contracts that are available.  thank you for the continued support, the details and complexity of the mods. [lots of fun and hours of entertainment]

I have a question, if I remove the parts for the OversizeScience, will I get contracts asking for those experiments?  I ask, as I have created a series of rockets that carry all the science for both orbital and surface, but forgot to include these.  I was mainly focusing on the small/universal storage compatible.

Thanks again. 

@KocLobster I think TweakScale may have made a few changes. The next update will include the new science module feature, which makes smaller experiments more expensive. I'll also check on the fixed size scale modules used for the telescopes.

@gamerscircle If you remove the OversizeScience folder you won't get any of the recon contracts. It checks for the existence of the required parts (which you can edit in the DMContracts.cfg file) before offering anything.

2 hours ago, DMagic said:

@KocLobster I think TweakScale may have made a few changes. The next update will include the new science module feature, which makes smaller experiments more expensive. I'll also check on the fixed size scale modules used for the telescopes.

@gamerscircle If you remove the OversizeScience folder you won't get any of the recon contracts. It checks for the existence of the required parts (which you can edit in the DMContracts.cfg file) before offering anything.

This is great, I have never completely liked the fact that scaling experiments down to 80/60% drastically reduces their price to being negligible. Thanks for the telescope fix too, I'll keep looking for when you update.

This is an awesome mod, always on my must install list. I have created a chart for myself and want to share it for others. Maybe you could add this as a part of a Wiki on the first post, or on the Github page?

I have it in a different format, let me know what would work best for you.

Science Part Magnetometer RPWS
Antenna
Orbital
Telescope
Multi-Spectral
Imaging Platform
Brother
Surveillance
Camera
Oversize
SIGINT
Satellite
Big Brother Stereo Surveillance Camera Dynamic Albedo of Neutrons XRD Surface Analyzer Surface Ablation Laser Solar Particle
Collector
Soil Moisture
Scanner
ASERT GORESat Seismic Sensor Pod Submersible Oceanography & Bathymetry ExoKerbol Core Drill Anomalous Signal Sensor
EXPERIMENT MAGNETOMETER RADIO
PLASMA
ORBITAL
TELESCOPE
MULTI
SPECTRAL
SIMPLE
RECON
SIGINT STEREOGRAPHIC SURFACE
HYDROGEN
X-RAY
DIFFRACTION
LASER
SURFACE
SOLAR
PARTICLE
SOIL
MOISTURE
ASTEROID
INTERIOR
IRRADIANCE SEISMIC BATHYMETRY BIO DRILL ANOMALY
Surface: Landed Biome Biome Biome Biome Biome Biome
Surface: Splashed Global Biome Biome
Flying Low
Flying High
Space Low Global Global Biome Biome Biome Biome Biome Global Global
Space High Global Global Global Global Global Global

37 minutes ago, pap1723 said:

This is an awesome mod, always on my must install list. I have created a chart for myself and want to share it for others. Maybe you could add this as a part of a Wiki on the first post, or on the Github page?

I have it in a different format, let me know what would work best for you.

Science Part Magnetometer RPWS
Antenna
Orbital
Telescope
Multi-Spectral
Imaging Platform
Brother
Surveillance
Camera
Oversize
SIGINT
Satellite
Big Brother Stereo Surveillance Camera Dynamic Albedo of Neutrons XRD Surface Analyzer Surface Ablation Laser Solar Particle
Collector
Soil Moisture
Scanner
ASERT GORESat Seismic Sensor Pod Submersible Oceanography & Bathymetry ExoKerbol Core Drill Anomalous Signal Sensor
EXPERIMENT MAGNETOMETER RADIO
PLASMA
ORBITAL
TELESCOPE
MULTI
SPECTRAL
SIMPLE
RECON
SIGINT STEREOGRAPHIC SURFACE
HYDROGEN
X-RAY
DIFFRACTION
LASER
SURFACE
SOLAR
PARTICLE
SOIL
MOISTURE
ASTEROID
INTERIOR
IRRADIANCE SEISMIC BATHYMETRY BIO DRILL ANOMALY
Surface: Landed Biome Biome Biome Biome Biome Biome
Surface: Splashed Global Biome Biome
Flying Low
Flying High
Space Low Global Global Biome Biome Biome Biome Biome Global Global
Space High Global Global Global Global Global Global

One quick thing I noticed (and there could be more); the Orbital telescope and multispectral imaging experiments are now biome specific when in Space High. This was recently changed from it only being biome specific when in Space low, to both low and high.

2Hot and GRAVMAX sensor in universal storage size transfers only 50% the data, while the stock one with lesser weight transfers all the data. Is this some kind of penalty?

Edited by naidis

17 hours ago, naidis said:

2Hot and GRAVMAX sensor in universal storage size transfers only 50% the data, while the stock one with lesser weight transfers all the data. Is this some kind of penalty?

Are you using a science rebalance mod like Science Revisited Revisited or SETI / Unmanned Before Manned? It may be that the rebalance is configured to change the stock instruments but doesn't change the DMagic / US version.

Hi DMagic,
I had my first Asteroid encounter and landing yesterday.

My two probes (ground and space) had nearly all DMagic Science Parts aboard and I could finally use successful the Asteroid Sounding Experiment.

Unfortunately the ground experiments didn’t work, as you can see on the screenshots. Did I do something wrong or was the asteroid to small?!?

The space probe could perform some science as "near an asteroid" as well but other DMagic science was still "orbiting Kerbal".

Any suggestions?

13 minutes ago, Doghead13 said:

Er, I don't think a spacecraft counts as landed on an asteroid unless it's latched on with something such as The Claw. I do believe what you're showing is, to the game engine, just orbiting along beside the asteroid.

Oh I see. I had three winches with hooks aboard which was ejected into the asteroid. I also thought that asteroids would have some very low gravity which would help me stay on it.... Next asteroid arrives in 5 days, I will try it again...

56 minutes ago, Toomuch77 said:

Oh I see. I had three winches with hooks aboard which was ejected into the asteroid. I also thought that asteroids would have some very low gravity which would help me stay on it.... Next asteroid arrives in 5 days, I will try it again...

real asteroid do technically have some very low gravity (although not really enough to help). KSP asteroids do not and are basically just really big ship parts. If they did, you wouldnt be able to move them around and change their orbits.

6 hours ago, spacebrick3 said:

I like the acronym for the ExoKerbol Core Drill. Is that intentional or just lucky?

Go look at the acronyms for all his other experiments. You decide if it's intentional. :wink:

This is a problem I'm having that I'm almost certain is not directly caused by this mod, but I want to ask here first to see if anyone knows exactly which mod is causing the issue.

I use [x] Science, AutomatedScienceSampler, and Science Revisited Revisited, with DMagic orbital science. In [x] Science, the newer large satellite experiments are being listed as biome dependent experiments, i.e. SIGINT data when in space near Mun's farside crater, etc. Does anyone know which mod author I should contact to make sure the experiments are categorized correctly?

edit: I'm thinking it's probably [x] Science, so I'm going to start looking into it.

Edited by drhay53

3 hours ago, drhay53 said:

This is a problem I'm having that I'm almost certain is not directly caused by this mod, but I want to ask here first to see if anyone knows exactly which mod is causing the issue.

I use [x] Science, AutomatedScienceSampler, and Science Revisited Revisited, with DMagic orbital science. In [x] Science, the newer large satellite experiments are being listed as biome dependent experiments, i.e. SIGINT data when in space near Mun's farside crater, etc. Does anyone know which mod author I should contact to make sure the experiments are categorized correctly?

edit: I'm thinking it's probably [x] Science, so I'm going to start looking into it.

I think the mishap might be because some of the DMagic experiments modify the biome mask value in the PART config. If [x] Science is reading the value from the ScienceDef, it may not necessarily match where the part can actually be used to collect biome-dependent data.