[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

I'm having an issue with the asteroid sounding experiment. Using KIS, I attached two on opposite sides of the asteroids and activated them. Both say Receiver in Range and there is a red line connecting them but I don't have the option to actually perform the experiment. 

@subyng Do you have a screenshot of the setup?

Due to some changes Squad made in how asteroids work, the targeting method used for tracking the other instrument can be blocked by other parts on your vessel. So if there isn't a clear line-of-sight, with only the asteroid between the two instruments they won't work. I'm not sure if the instrument itself is enough to block it though.

Sorry, don't have any screens. The next time I do it I'll take some. There was a clear line of sight, only the asteroid in between them since the scanners were placed directly on the asteroid itself. But then I tried to move one of the scanners onto the ship itself, while I left the other one attached directly to the asteroid and it worked. Will the scanner itself block itself from having line of sight? Does the "beam" get emitted from the dish or just the centre of the part?

@subyng It originates from the dish itself, which comes out above the part's collider. So if the beam has to go back through the part it will run into that collider and won't work. I can probably change this so that it originates from the center of the part, which I think will at least allow the beam to pass through the scanner.

So I've found a new way to use the Magnetometer boom to my advantage when collecting science in the KSC mini-biomes: I stick it on the sides or front of my proto-rover and extend it like a proboscis to touch the various buildings and sites.  Retract, rinse, repeat for bonus science! 

41 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@BeafSalad Sounds like a problem with the contract, the Seismic Impact Hammer doesn't work with those silly KSC biomes. What does the contract say exactly, and do you know where it comes from?

The Agent is Field Research Team so I assume it comes from the Field Research contract pack. The information in the breifing just says Experiment : Seismic Data so I wasn't sure which experiment I needed so I looked in the persistence file.

CONTRACT
			{
				guid = d6c68f78-1d4e-482b-85a3-5e2becbd59be
				type = ConfiguredContract
				prestige = 0
				seed = 522160876
				state = Active
				agent = Field Research Team
				deadlineType = None
				expiryType = Floating
				ignoresWeight = True
				values = 536580,0,0,30000,0,0,2,0,7020224.22391187,6920943.16789333,0,0
				subtype = FS_KSC
				title = Perform experiments around KSC
				description = There are lots of opportunities to do science around the Kerbal Space Center.  Wernher needs us to run a few tests at different locations as a control test of our experiments.
				synopsis = Run the required tests around the Kerbal Space Center and recover the data.
				completedMessage = Everything is looking good with these experiments, time to get them into space!
				hash = 1338354939
				targetBody = Kerbin
				PARAM
				{
					name = CollectScienceCustom
					id = CollectScience
					state = Incomplete
					disableOnStateChange = False
					values = 7302,0,0,0,0
					ContractIdentifier = FieldResearch.FS_KSC
					title = 
					notes = 
					completedMessage = 
					allowStateReset = False
					targetBody = Kerbin
					biome = LaunchPad
					situation = SrfLanded
					experiment = dmseismicHammer
					recoveryMethod = Ideal
					PARAM
					{
						name = ParameterDelegate`1
						id = Location: KSC's Launch Pad
						state = Incomplete
						values = 0,0,0,0,0
						title = Location: KSC's Launch Pad
						notes = 
						completedMessage = 
					}
					PARAM
					{
						id = Situation: Landed
						state = Incomplete
						values = 0,0,0,0,0
						title = Situation: Landed
						notes = 
						completedMessage = 
					}
					PARAM
					{
						id = Experiment: Seismic Data
						state = Incomplete
						values = 0,0,0,0,0
						title = Experiment: Seismic Data
						notes = 
						completedMessage = 
						PARAM
						{
							id = dmseismicHammerSubject
							state = Incomplete
							values = 0,0,0,0,0
							title = 
							notes = 
							completedMessage = 
						}
						PARAM
						{
							id = Recovery: Recover or transmit
							state = Incomplete
							values = 0,0,0,0,0
							title = Recovery: Recover or transmit
							notes = 
							completedMessage = 
						}
					}
				}
				PARAM
				{
					name = CollectScienceCustom
					id = CollectScience
					state = Incomplete
					values = 7829,0,0,0,0
					title = 
					notes = 
					completedMessage = 
					allowStateReset = False
					targetBody = Kerbin
					biome = VAB
					situation = SrfLanded
					experiment = dmseismicHammer
					recoveryMethod = Ideal
					PARAM
					{
						id = Location: KSC's VAB
						state = Incomplete
						values = 0,0,0,0,0
						title = Location: KSC's VAB
						notes = 
						completedMessage = 
					}
					PARAM
					{
						id = Situation: Landed
						state = Incomplete
						values = 0,0,0,0,0
						title = Situation: Landed
						notes = 
						completedMessage = 
					}
					PARAM
					{
						id = Experiment: Seismic Data
						state = Incomplete
						values = 0,0,0,0,0
						title = Experiment: Seismic Data
						notes = 
						completedMessage = 
						PARAM
						{
							id = dmseismicHammerSubject
							state = Incomplete
							values = 0,0,0,0,0
							title = 
							notes = 
							completedMessage = 
						}
						PARAM
						{
							id = Recovery: Recover or transmit
							state = Incomplete
							values = 0,0,0,0,0
							title = Recovery: Recover or transmit
							notes = 
							completedMessage = 
						}
					}
				}

@BeafSalad I would ask in the Field Research thread if there is a way to specifically exclude experiments from the KSC biome contracts. I know that experiments can be fully excluded, but I'm not sure about doing so for only one of the contract types.

Had a lot of trouble completing a Long Term Orbital Recon mission. For some reason, I couldn't get the tick besides the collect recon data from low orbit above Northern Hemisphere. Finally got it, but yeah... Took several launches. Any clue as to how I can hunt down the cause of this finickiness?

Yep, just took another mission to see if the problem persisted and it did.

Check the below screenshots. Running the recon experiment at this point doesn't complete the task. I thought maybe it's because this isn't a "low" orbit, so tried transferring down to a low orbit. Didn't affect anything, task still won't complete.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

quo7dJR.pngIL25Hrt.png

Edited by SmarterThanMe

@Zantza Technically any planet pack should work fine, you just might not have custom science results text for it. The only included results are for stock, OPM, and RSS.

@SmarterThanMe What happens when you run the experiment, what are the results it gives you? Sometimes the orbit might make it tricky to get "low space" results, but transferring to a lower orbit (after finishing the long-term part of the contract) should always work, you just have to make sure you are above the right hemisphere. 

On 14/08/2016 at 1:57 AM, DMagic said:

@SmarterThanMe What happens when you run the experiment, what are the results it gives you? Sometimes the orbit might make it tricky to get "low space" results, but transferring to a lower orbit (after finishing the long-term part of the contract) should always work, you just have to make sure you are above the right hemisphere. 

OK, I'll try it that way. I'll report how it goes in x game days. :) Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I accepted certain contracts that I believe are Orbital Science ones (Maxwell and GeoEye, come to mind).  In my haste to launch the missions, I did not name the craft Maxwell x or GeoEye x but something of my own creation.  Now, after completing those missions, new contracts call for the deorbiting of those craft.  For the life of me, I can't recall which of the 6 or so probes orbiting a particular moon might be the right one.  Any way of determining which craft was Maxwell I or Maxwell II?

Perhaps, in the future, I'll read the contract more carefully.

@ctbram You can probably use them together and be fine. It's just that ForScience won't work with my parts (the problem is on the other end, not mine) and in some cases may causes problems with results not being processed correctly.

@Brigadier Contracts that use those "example name" type things are all from Contract Configurator. The best way to handle the issue would be for CC to offer some method (if it doesn't already) for marking the target vessels, just like how stock contracts do when asking to use an existing vessel.

2 hours ago, DMagic said:

@Brigadier Contracts that use those "example name" type things are all from Contract Configurator. The best way to handle the issue would be for CC to offer some method (if it doesn't already) for marking the target vessels, just like how stock contracts do when asking to use an existing vessel.

Thank you for the clarification.

So this may be a stupid question, but I accepted a contract to gather science from a Class A asteroid, but I can't find it. Is the contract more of heres a contract, find an asteroid or wait for one to appear, or is there a specifc one or one created when I accept the contract? I have the tracking station upgraded but there is 0 space objects found. Thanks for the mod.

@TonyMacaroni No specific asteroids are generated for the contract, it just refers to any Class A asteroid.

If your tracking station is fully upgraded (and this shouldn't be offering asteroid contracts if it isn't) and no asteroids are showing up then there might be something else wrong, maybe another mod is changing or interfering with asteroid generation. I'm only aware of Custom Asteroids and Kopernicus being able to do that.