[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

33 minutes ago, bice said:

Hi @DMagic

CKAN reports incompatibility with ForScience Mod. 

Could you explain the reason for that?

Thank you. Your mod is great!

Please, issues regarding CKAN should go in CKAN thread. Don't pest moders about it. That being said, give CKAN boot some time to catch up with all updates, there is high traffic recently with various mods being updated. Some of those updates require human verification. Just be a little bit more patient in first days after KSP 1.2. release.

Sorry @DMagic if I have disturbed you. Not my intention at all.

This question was asked on Sept25th by @Furious1964 with no answer. This was before 1.2 so I thought the incompatibility reported is previous. I like both mods and want to use them together. That is the reason I asked.

And sorry for my ignorance about how Ckan works. I assumed that the CKAN mod descriptor was made using mod author directives.

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-meta/blob/master/DMagicOrbitalScience/DMagicOrbitalScience-1.3.3.ckan

I will ask in the ckan thread hoping the answer be different to "...incompatibilities between mods must be asked to mod authors....."

Thanks for your time.

@bice @Furious1964 ForScience possibly created some problems with Orbital Science at one point, though I'm not completely sure that it was the culprit. In any event it doesn't do anything with Orbital Science parts, since they work differently than stock, so it isn't ideal for that type of automated science collection. 

This mod explicitly supports Orbital Science and more-or-less does the same thing. I'm not sure if it's working correctly with 1.2 and the latest Orbital Science update (I didn't change anything that should affect it though), but it might be a better option.

And, yes, I added the conflict tag to the CKAN file.

@hieywiey I actually designed the Core Drill to partially based off of the Viking experiments (I really need to start back with those explainers...) and the ExoMars rover. More experiments are always nice though. :wink:

Edited by DMagic

19 hours ago, Rantanplan1986 said:

Finally i can science again (i love that parts) :D

While Universal Storage been updated recently i load up a new game for testing, i came across an oddity:

In the Stock Research Tree the US-"Science Jr." is found in the "Stability"-node (for 18 science), while the regular "Science Jr." is found in the "Basic Science"-node (45 Science) (along with the US-"Science Bay").

Might be intentional, but i'll guess there was a mix up between that two. 

In the Universal Storage post I have been told that this is a DMagic Orbital Science part.

This is probably because the stock Science Jr. was much earlier in the tech tree in 1.1.3, but was moved in 1.2. It's easy enough to edit the .cfg file for the DMagic part - open it up & look for TechRequired; if you change the value to basicScience then it will appear in the tech tree in the same node as the stock Science Jr.

Edited by Bombaatu

Strange little behavior change on the Magnetic Field Scan experiment, if we start the experiment on a ship already in the right orbit, the game will acknowledge the placement of said satellite only on the next ship switch. Nothing i'm worrying too much about. 

Love the mod

Hello DMagic and thank you for this nice mod.

I would like to suggest a simple tweak related to science wedge for Universal Storage: The "Goo wedge" and the "Material study wedge" are available in the tech tree sooner than their standard, stock counterpart which is strange considering their are much bigger and clunky. I would suggest that, for both of these science wedge,  their tech tree position be changed to "Miniaturization" which is a little bit farther in the tree,

12 hours ago, DMagic said:

@Torham234 Let me know if you continue to see any issues with those magnetic field contracts. They are a bit tricky and I think I saw some issues during testing but they were hard to replicate.

Well, its weird, during normal play, the counters on the magnetic field contracts kept resetting. What I did in the end is load a save >tracking station > select each satellite once. this would green out all requirements and than I just waited in the tracking station and fast forwarded on maximum time warp until they checked out as complete. If I tried to play the game normally, ie wait for the contracts to finish in background, the timers would reset each time I would switch to a new vessel...  They didn't even stop, they just lost all progress towards the goal. On a longer mission to Minmus I attended only one probe the whole time. I noticed them go down by 20 days, so I thought its sorted, but as soon as I landed back on Kerbin and recovered vessel, the timers were back at the start.

sigh, plea~se, i tried this but it's not adding any remote tech module to sigint, it removes the data transmitter but not adding the ModuleRTAntenna at all

Spoiler

@PART[dmSIGINT.End]:AFTER[RemoteTech]:FINAL
{
    !MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter] {}
    %TechRequired = advScienceTech
    @MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric]
    {
        %allowManualControl = false
    }

MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna] {
        Mode0DishRange = 0
        Mode1DishRange = 1100000000000
        EnergyCost = 15
        MaxQ = 6000
        DishAngle = 0.001

DeployFxModules = 0

TRANSMITTER {
            PacketInterval = 0.3
            PacketSize = 2
            PacketResourceCost = 15.0
        }
    }

%MODULE[ModuleSPUPassive] {}
}

@PART[dmSIGINT.Small]:AFTER[RemoteTech]:FINAL
{
    !MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter] {}
    %TechRequired = advScienceTech
    @MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric]
    {
        %allowManualControl = false
    }

MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna] {
        Mode0DishRange = 0
        Mode1DishRange = 1100000000000
        EnergyCost = 15
        MaxQ = 6000
        DishAngle = 0.001

DeployFxModules = 0

TRANSMITTER {
            PacketInterval = 0.3
            PacketSize = 2
            PacketResourceCost = 15.0
        }
    }

%MODULE[ModuleSPUPassive] {}
}

@Torham234 I see the problem. It seems that, for some reason, KSP thinks all unloaded vessels are in the "Flying" situation, you have to check the proto vessel situation to get the accurate result for unloaded vessels.

I'll update with that fix and move the tech nodes around to account for stock science positions.

@Jiraiyah I haven't played with RT in ages, so I'm probably not equipped to make good configs for it.

Your patch seems to be missing the % from the ModuleRTAntenna section, I'm not sure if it's needed. The patches from RT for the stock antenna have that before each line: https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/blob/develop/GameData/RemoteTech/RemoteTech_Squad_Antennas.cfg

The other problem, which may be breaking the patch, is that the SIGINT parts don't have a ModuleAnimateGeneric. Remove that section entirely.

Hey there, quick question about the ExoKerbol Core Drill. Or better its Animation.

I read somewhere (i can't recall where exactly) that it can reorient itself (or its head) to reach the soil and has some limitations in terms of up to which angle it is possible for it to do so and is to be considered to be necessary for it to reach the soil to collect a sample

Iirc it does so in 1.1.3. not necessarily while just performing a systems check in the SPH/VAB but when actually collecting a sample on a surface.

Well, it doesn't do it anymore (just going straight forward) but gives you science anyway. I took a few a few pictures.

Am I wrong about this or have it mounted wrong, or is there really a hiccup in its animation?

@Rantanplan1986 That part is a little clunky. Its animation is based on the orientation of the part it's attached to, and doesn't really check anything related to the surface. If you want to change its behavior you can play around with attaching it to different parts, or attaching a small strut cube at different orientations and attaching the drill to that.

22 minutes ago, Rantanplan1986 said:

Hey there, quick question about the ExoKerbol Core Drill. Or better its Animation.

I read somewhere (i can't recall where exactly) that it can reorient itself (or its head) to reach the soil and has some limitations in terms of up to which angle it is possible for it to do so and is to be considered to be necessary for it to reach the soil to collect a sample

Iirc it does so in 1.1.3. not necessarily while just performing a systems check in the SPH/VAB but when actually collecting a sample on a surface.

Well, it doesn't do it anymore (just going straight forward) but gives you science anyway. I took a few a few pictures.

Am I wrong about this or have it mounted wrong, or is there really a hiccup in its animation?

That done the trick sir, thanks, now sig int has antena with 1.1 TM, angle or 0.001 and electric usage of 15/sec, although i am not sure if that electric usage would be balanced or not but considering the size of the dish (I love that monster) and the range i think it's good enough? (900 / min)

Hi,

I have also seen, as some posts above, that the location of Universal Storage DMagic parts on the science tree with CommunityTechTree installed, is somehow 'wrong', at least for my perspective. As indicated above the US material study comes before the actuall material study box :-(.

I checked a little bit further and observed that even though the US parts configurations (under folder DMagicOrbitalScience\UniversalStorage) allocate tech at the end of each file with CommunityTechTree is on, there is also a second file (under DMagicOrbitalScience\Resources) called DMagicCommunityTechTree.cfg that redistributes the parts again in the tech tree, and is that file that is considered as it uses the ":AFTER[DMagic]" config.

Any idea why this double science allocation was done?

In any case, I removed this 2nd file and things look better (to me) but please keep note that this file seemed a more concreate way to allocate the parts in the science tree as it considers a lot of mods and not only CTT. For me that i don't use those mods, things work fine ok.

Tsuvekio

Edited by tsuvekio

The sigint antennas are currently Direct antennas, not Relays. At least with Outer Planets, these being relays would be extremely useful. They effectively obsolete the DSN level3 though, and must then be no earlier than the RA-100 in the tech tree. Maybe use the new upgrade tech node system to upgrade them to relays later in the tree?

9 hours ago, Waz said:

The sigint antennas are currently Direct antennas, not Relays. At least with Outer Planets, these being relays would be extremely useful. They effectively obsolete the DSN level3 though, and must then be no earlier than the RA-100 in the tech tree. Maybe use the new upgrade tech node system to upgrade them to relays later in the tree?

I'd like this yeah, esp for OPM. For now though I made a tiny MM config for it to try:

@PART[dmSIGINT.End]:FOR[DMagicOrbitalScience]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
    @MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]
    {
        antennaType = RELAY
    }
    @TechRequired = specializedScienceTech
}

@Waz @Rodger Relay antennas aren't just big dishes, they are supposed to have data storage, forwarding, rerouting capabilities, etc... The SIGINT is a big radio spy satellite, there is no reason why it should have the same capabilities as something meant for an entirely different purpose. It isn't really supposed to replace any other antenna (it is far heavier and more expensive for starters), it is just something that can be used for communication if need be. 

@tsuvekio The tech node position for US parts is specified in two locations the same as any other part. One file is used for all parts if CTT is installed, the other location is in each part's config file and is used if CTT isn't installed. The only difference is that US parts have to default to being unavailable in case US isn't installed, so their tech tree position is stored at the end of the part config file. I forgot to update the CTT positions for these parts, so that will have to wait until the next version.