[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

5 hours ago, DMagic said:

Does this happen with other parts, or with the stock goo pod?

Yes. Almost all my science parts have no experiments. Is there a plugin that the mod relies on that I might have forgotten to update?

I made a simpler craft.  See below for .craft file.  Same behavior (nothing happens on right click, no actions for action groups).  

I found "KSP.log" and will upload that (see below) hoping that is "the log file".  I am running KSP 1.1 on a Mac Powerbook (OSX 10.11.6).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kh64t6jp905lij9/KSP.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t2q2gpbq6new8y2/Test.craft?dl=0

The other surface experiment I tried (Seismic Impact Hammer, Micro Goo) give the same result.

The magnetometer boom gives a value for ore, but no actions (don't know if that is what is expected.  It is an orbital experiment?)

I put the micro goo, solar particle collector, and orbital telescope in orbit and the same thing.  The magnotometer Boom gave "too high" but no actions.

@DMagic I was doing some research on enabling stock experiments (temp, grav, etc) to work in proximity to an asteroid. Looking through your code for your asteroid experiment it looks like you've found a way to conduct science "in space near" and landed on an asteroid. Any idea if these experiment definitions could be added to the stock science parts?

Thanks!

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:55 AM, DMagic said:

Does this happen with other parts, or with the stock goo pod? Does the mini goo pod work in other situations?

1) Yes, all of them, except parts from the BlueDog Design Bereau mod.

2) No. It does the exact same thing everywhere, as does every other instrument (even stock) except for BDB parts.

LOGS: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B442KKEvDnJ9d1VOU0M0czJodE0

Edited by NotAgain

@NotAgain You have duplicate science definitions somewhere in your GameData folder, possibly from a bad or old installation of Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus.

@tjt It is possible only if you replace the stock ModuleScienceExperiment with DMModuleScienceAnimate from DMOS and configure it properly; it would, obviously, require DMOS to function correctly. The Universal Storage versions of the some of the stock science parts have asteroid science results.

Edited by DMagic

@DMagic I'm having problems with the Universal Storage Science Junior. I updated to your newest version today, and suddenly the part does not exist in my part lists in career anymore (thus some of my ships don't work), yet when i look at the tech tree it says it is unlocked from the Survivability node like always. I also checked in the sandbox and it IS in the parts list there.

14 hours ago, DMagic said:

You have duplicate science definitions somewhere in your GameData folder, possibly from a bad or old installation of Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus.

I'll try deleting and re-installing everything to do with coatl, and see if that works. I'll keep ya posted.

EDIT: IT WORKED! Thanks so much @DMagic, you're a lifesaver!

Edited by NotAgain

@DMagic

im trying to make a chip for MCP of sci-9001JR
wat i want to do is limit the max science it can give to be equal to the transmittable part and make evry chip have 6 runs (experimentLimit = 6)
bay using your DMRoverGooMat.
so far im failing
can you point my the right way (assuming its posebal).

another option i hope you'll be willing to do is
  adding support (make parts for)

like you do for universal storage?

@danielboro You mean you want to have a part with, say 25% transmission level, that is limited to 25% science even if you return it home (or to put it another way, 100% transmission, but the base value is only 25% of the total)? And presumably have another part that would allow for 100% science when returning the data?

That isn't really possible without something heavily customized. The only simple way to limit data is to adjust the amount of science from the stock ScienceDefs.cfg file.

The DMRoverGooMat module probably won't work unless the part has a properly setup animation along with it. You can use the standard DMModuleScienceAnimate to make a part that can collect multiple experiments (set experimentLimit to greater than 1).

Dmagic, this mod is awesome and totally makes complex exploration missions feel much more worthwhile.

Outer Planets now has an additional 40 biomes upcoming in his next update.  Who's task is it typically to update the science defs for your mod?  I assume OPM's author will be doing the defs for all the stock instruments.

If these defs would be updated by the community, what's the best way for us to put them together and get them to you?

6 hours ago, tsaven said:

Haha, I guess that's probably the most fun part of making these mods

I guessing that it is least fun part in making mods. Often, there is quite a lot of tedious tasks that need to be done to make something to work. Most fun part part is actualy, using it in game and that feel of satisfaction that you are actualy able to finish it and make it working in game.

Knowing that quite a lot of users like this mod and appreciate all effort is just whipped cream on top of cake.

On 11/7/2016 at 3:24 PM, kunok said:

The moisture sensor is basically an array of L-band antennas, why not give it antenna capabilities?

This is easy enough to do yourself with ModuleManager.  Just copy the ModuleDataTransmitter stuff from a stock antenna, tweak the values as desired to give the part the stats you want, and done.  Takes maybe 5 minutes.

For example, I play with Outer Planets Mod so need relays with ranges MUCH greater than stock.  So I tweaked the Oversize SigInt Dish to be a ginormous relay.  Because it already has ModuleDataTransmitter as a direct antenna, I just changed 2 lines to make it a relay:

@PART[dmSIGINT.End]:NEEDS[DMagic]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]
	{
		@antennaType = RELAY
		@antennaCombinable = True
	}
}

You can do the same thing for the Undersize SigInt dish, too.  The above tweak just turns them into relays, leaving all their other stats (range, power requirements, etc.) the same.

As for the soil moisture thing, it didn't have ModuleDataTransmitter so I had to add that whole block of code and tweaked it with just a SWAG to put it somewhere between the Oversize dish and the stock relays.  You can use whatever numerical values you want instead, this is just an example:

@PART[dmSoilMoisture]:NEEDS[DMagic]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleDataTransmitter
		antennaType = RELAY
		packetInterval = 0.20
		packetSize = 4
		packetResourceCost = 40.0
		requiredResource = ElectricCharge
		antennaPower = 500000000000
		antennaCombinable = True
	}
}

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, kcs123 said:

I guessing that it is least fun part in making mods. Often, there is quite a lot of tedious tasks that need to be done to make something to work. Most fun part part is actualy, using it in game and that feel of satisfaction that you are actualy able to finish it and make it working in game.

Knowing that quite a lot of users like this mod and appreciate all effort is just whipped cream on top of cake.

Well I was referring specifically to coming up with funny or sciencey-sounding blurbs to write for all of the experiments.  

6 minutes ago, tsaven said:

Well I was referring specifically to coming up with funny or sciencey-sounding blurbs to write for all of the experiments.  

Sorry, if my comment sounded grumpy or offending, it just poke me to write and remind everybody that there is two sides of coin. Fun and less fun part of it. Therefore is probably happy and sad emoticons in DMagic post.

54 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Snip

Thanks, I will try that. But I don't really need it, it was just a coherence thing (and that I would like to have an array based antenna). If the others antenna experiments are able to be used as an antenna, this should also be used as an antenna, more even when the description talks about that is an L band antenna.