[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

7 minutes ago, komodo said:

Why do you keep trying to make more work for you, CW? :P (Which is the 'new' one of those? Or are they two 'new' alternatives?) 

I just want too much cool stuff haha...

Right one is the new one. They're not crazy different - mostly just toning down the bright white and oversaturated blue, so that the parts don't stick out as much. The white should probably be brought back a bit. Plus a bit more wear and scratches. There isn't a crazy amount I can do - a lot of my texture techniques rely on UV unwrapping tricks that aren't used here. Let me tweak that again and I'll throw another pic up.

@DMagic I'll play around a bit more tonight and see what I come up with. Do you know what shader they're exported as? It would be helpful for knowing what I can/can't do - no point in making spec maps if they don't use any, for example.

My first priority would be getting the surveillance stuff reskinned, and perhaps include a rescale cfg in BDB to make them fit our 0.9375m Agena and 1.875m Gemini/Titan.

I believe all of them use the bump specular shader, all of the texture files should use the alpha channel for spec. There are a couple that use either cutoff, or some other transparent shader, but there is probably less need to change those anyway.

The surveillance stuff is a little tricky since all of those parts share a single texture. The dish texture itself is separate, uses a transparent shader, and is very tricky to deal with, I had to manually create the mip maps for it.

59 minutes ago, DMagic said:

I believe all of them use the bump specular shader, all of the texture files should use the alpha channel for spec. There are a couple that use either cutoff, or some other transparent shader, but there is probably less need to change those anyway.

The surveillance stuff is a little tricky since all of those parts share a single texture. The dish texture itself is separate, uses a transparent shader, and is very tricky to deal with, I had to manually create the mip maps for it.

Luckily, I don't think I'd have to edit the dish. And using a large texture atlas like that, it's no problem. :) It's more that I tend to UV unwrap and texture in a specific way, which makes it difficult to adapt to working with your textures, or anyone else's for that matter. I will see what I can do with them, as I said the surveillance stuff is particularly of interest to me since they can be considered integral to making some things in BDB possible (Keyhole satellites). Once I get those and the magnetometer polished I'll probably throw them up in an Addon Dev thread; after that I'll just make new skins based on demand.

45 minutes ago, DMagic said:

Yep, Gambit and Hexagon for the telescopes, and Magnum-Orion for the SIGINT (those dishes might actually use the big umbrella/drum-type dish though, not a giant parabolic reflector).

Oh really, the big one is Hexagon? I had assumed Dorian for some reason. In any case it's still 1.875m if it's meant to fit on a Titan 34D.

@DMagic, Do your science experiments require a scientist to reset them or does it check for "reset experiment" skill?  I installed Colonists recently and while they could restore stock mat bay and goo, they could not restore yours, checked the rover science ones, but not US(not installed).

I have a problem with a long term magnetic field mission.

I have a probe in mun orbit. I have transmitted RPWS and magnetometer experiments from both high and low orbit and got the green tilde as completed in the mission requirements, but the orbit contract params says at least 0,2 in eccentricity and at least 26 degrees in inclination. There is no way I can acomplish this.

My probe is currently in a polar orbit (incl 90°) with 0.3 eccentricity and nothing happens. I tried several orbits and it seems the contract is not detecting the probe.

Here´s KSP.log if you want to have a look.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8610CSq9pkmbXZ5S0lEeG5jdnc/view?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance

Zeke

@ezequielandrush Are you using the standard (or US) magnetometer and RPWS parts? Nonstandard parts (ie from other mods) might not be recognized. In map view does the vessel have a double box icon around it? That would indicate that the required parts are recognized.

What happens if you break orbit, go sub-orbital for a moment, then go back into orbit? Something may have prevented the orbit from being registered in the first place.

He made the diameter slightly smaller so they match other parts better. that leaves yours hanging out a bit. Still works, just looks like they are not fully plugged in. It's only about the thickness of the doors.

On 25/11/2016 at 0:03 PM, DMagic said:

@ezequielandrush Are you using the standard (or US) magnetometer and RPWS parts? Nonstandard parts (ie from other mods) might not be recognized. In map view does the vessel have a double box icon around it? That would indicate that the required parts are recognized.

What happens if you break orbit, go sub-orbital for a moment, then go back into orbit? Something may have prevented the orbit from being registered in the first place.

Don't know how to tell if I'm using US or standard parts. The vessel does not have the double box, so I guess that's the problem.

I tried going sub orbital and did not work.

Thanks for the tip