[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

4 hours ago, DMagic said:

Also, I just realized that this mod is 4 years old this month.

And pretty much one of "must have" mods from the day one of release. Makes inserting various sattelite probes in orbits much more meaningful and add quite a lot to stock game.

8 hours ago, DMagic said:

Do you mean SCANsat maps? Those go into the GameData/SCANsat/PluginData folder. The exact location is printed on screen when you save a map (though the message can sometimes be hidden behind the SCANsat windows - see here to fix that :cool:) and printed in the log files.

Yep, that's it. Thanks. My problem is the messages are displaying green over a green back round. I can't make them out readily. :/ 

9 hours ago, DMagic said:

Also, I just realized that this mod is 4 years old this month.

Its been four years. :0.0: Time flies. 

6 hours ago, tallon43 said:

Do the oversized antennas open up? Because the description suggests it but I can't find the option to do it

Do you mean the Signal Intelligence antennae?  Yes, they do.  Could you post a pic (or, better yet, a link to a uploaded picture) of what you're trying to do?

Happy belated mod-birthday, to one of my favorite/required mods - and a long and heartfelt thanks to DMagic for writing and maintaining it this long.  It seriously boggles my mind that people play without this.

Raise a glass of your favorite libation, and let's hope that DMagic continues to mod and update with enthusiasm for at least another four years!  *applause*

Awesome mod! At first I thought it was confusing as hell to have all that experiments. Than I spend some hours learning and testing, and everything made much more sense. I changed the 4 stock experiments that give only numbers to give 100% science when transmitting, so I can make probes and rovers that will give full science. Now the manned (kerbed?) missions will include only the science bay, goo, and the new drill and seismic pods/hammer.

I was truly amazed when testing TweakScale, simply loved that the cost changes when I reduce or increase the size of the experiments. Now I can fit everything, or adjust CoM, without cheating.

I only have some minor bugs/questions:

I get duplicates in some sensors, like scanners. It's a common problem/mod incompatibility? I can track everyone and post screenshots if needed.

The "Multispectral Imaging Platform" can scan for biomes, like the part in SCANSat, but it also gives the option to analyze the data and receive some science? I sent a probe to the Mun, scanned everything and do not have that option.

Is possible to disable, in SCANSat, resources that I don't use? I only want to know about the stock ore and water. The others are just clutter.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Version 1.3.12 is out; get it on Space Dock.

It has been updated for KSP 1.4.x.

It also contains several minor fixes:

The drag cubes for the recon and SIGINT parts have all been tweaked, hopefully they won't make a vessel unstable, which could sometimes happen. The SIGINT parts now update their drag cube when deployed, this makes their drag so high that they are essentially unusable in an atmosphere and will break very easily.

Some minor bugs in the startup process for some parts in the VAB/SPH have been fixed, along with a bug with the orbit handling in the space center for contracts that call for a specific orbit (the long term recon contracts). The crash tolerance for the seismic pods has been increased again (there might be some other element that determines when parts explode, so you still might have to pack some extras :blush:). And the SCANsat configs have been updated so that the imaging platform can collect the SCANsat multispectral science data (@MaximumThrust, this fixes your issue; the only way to disable unwanted resources is to delete their configs, most would be in the Community Resource Pack folder).

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2018 at 12:48 AM, DMagic said:

Version 1.3.12 is out; get it on Space Dock.

It has been updated for KSP 1.4.x.

It also contains several minor fixes:

The drag cubes for the recon and SIGINT parts have all been tweaked, hopefully they won't make a vessel unstable, which could sometimes happen. The SIGINT parts now update their drag cube when deployed, this makes their drag so high that they are essentially unusable in an atmosphere and will break very easily.

Some minor bugs in the startup process for some parts in the VAB/SPH have been fixed, along with a bug with the orbit handling in the space center for contracts that call for a specific orbit (the long term recon contracts). The crash tolerance for the seismic pods has been increased again (there might be some other element that determines when parts explode, so you still might have to pack some extras :blush:). And the SCANsat configs have been updated so that the imaging platform can collect the SCANsat multispectral science data (@MaximumThrust, this fixes your issue; the only way to disable unwanted resources is to delete their configs, most would be in the Community Resource Pack folder).

First of all, I don't think I've said thank you for one of the best science mods out there, keep it up :)

I'm currently on 1.4.2, and I've run into an issue with the magnetic field survey contracts. I have three satellites, two around the Mun and one around Kerbin, performing a magnetic survey. Every time I load a vessel to the launch pad, or switch in flight mode, the orbit parameters are put as messages in KSP as a recently completed. For those three satellites. Here's a video showing the problem (ignore me opening debug in the end, i forgot my hotkey for recording): http://i.tivec.org/2018-03-30_07-09-11.mp4

Here's the log segment just after switching vessels: 

0ZM29NO.png

I suspect that this has to do with Contract Configurator (maybe? I'm not sure if DMOS uses CC), but I haven't had this happen on other contracts as far as I can tell and this is the first time I can properly reproduce the issue.

Edited by Tivec

52 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@Tivec Credit KSP's latest "update", it includes such lovely things as printing a log message every time a contract parameter changes state, which happens all the time with certain contracts...

Well, I didn’t see it with other orbit contracts such as CleverSat, Scansat or RemoteTech I have tried, just with the ones to be completed over time from DMOS. Getting pretty annoying with 50+ messages every time I switch vessels lol. 

And it isn’t the debug log but the in game log (check the vid) :)

@Tivec Contract parameters work in many different ways depending on what they are trying to do. Regardless, printing messages anywhere whenever one completes is a terrible idea and we can only hope that a 1.4.3 is around the corner.

20 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@Tivec Contract parameters work in many different ways depending on what they are trying to do. Regardless, printing messages anywhere whenever one completes is a terrible idea and we can only hope that a 1.4.3 is around the corner.

Oh, I was just wondering what was going on with that spam.. 

45 minutes ago, DMagic said:

Ah, so it is confirmed it is a bug and will be addressed by Squad?

• 2 weeks later...

Feature request : i usually setup my experiments to run at once from action groups. As per usual, window for collected ALL data pops up offering the usual options + DMOS xmit so i can list and act on all of them. So far so good. However, once this window is closed, i can only either transmit all science (which available battery storage may not allow for) or select each science part and select "review" option to send data specifically for that experiment.

So in short : @DMagic , can you add option to open AGAIN this data review window that lists ALL experiments ? It could be available as part menu option on any of science parts. Aaand i just realized it could be a separate plugin. :)

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:28 AM, DMagic said:

Nightingale has implemented a semi-fix in contract configurator that cuts down on the spam tremendously.

Was a fix ever found for the soil moisture sensor not retracting? Most of the time, I can't retract the sensors after they've been extended. I tried multiple ways, extending by data transmission, extending through soil moisture scan, the "toggle" button, but I haven't found any way to reliably be able to retract after extending. Sometimes if I try transmitting after failing to get the sensor to retract, it will jump from the extended loop to the extending animation before transmitting.

I'm doing a one-ship science tour of the solar system, with a mothership that has 2 probes, each including a soil moisture sensor. They start out docked and I redock them from time to time. The only pattern I think I see is that when the probes are out (undocked), retracting is more likely to work, but when both are docked in the mothership, retracting almost never works. Maybe 2 sensors on the same vessel can interfere? Of the few times they do retract, it's often after a significant delay.

Using 1.3.11 with KSP 1.3.0

DMagic I love your mod but please add biomes to low orbit!!! We should be able to read more than one magnetic field in low orbit. Same for plasma wave and several other tests. I personally edit many of your science experiments so they recognize biomes in low orbit. We all know that things like magnetic fields vary drastically at different positions in low earth orbit. 

I'm not sure if it is good idea to add per biome science for each science part. It make sense to do it when you look from only one point of view, how such part work in real life (or should work), would be cool to have such thing etc. But you also need to look things from perspective of gamebalance. Some parts already can yield too much science points compared to stock game parts, so it is possible for game to become too easy. That then leads that you need to reduce science points reward per part or in general trough difficulty reduction. Depending on technology node where some science part is available, changing science yield trough game difficulty settings might be too much early in game when you are still not able to unlock part X from DMagics mod.

That lead to conclusion that changes have to be made per part basis. It would not require to change science rewards and behaviour that should be pe rbiome or not on one part only, it would require changes for whole set of parts to re-establish proper gamebalance.