[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 10:09 PM, SciMan said:

I'm using it in 1.12.2 with no apparent bugs that I can attribute to this particular mod.

++

No major bugs for me either.

Suggest updating this in CKAN from Max version 1.8.8 to 1.12.2

• 2 weeks later...

@DMagic Would you mind cleaning up some of the cfg's to include a NEEDS UniversalStorage for applicable parts to help clean up log errors?

If need be, you could create an empty dummy part with just a name that you clone via patch. I vaguely recall that MM may have gotten an update some time ago to also work on non-patches, but I won't swear to it.

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2021 at 6:02 PM, Electrocutor said:

cleaning up some of the cfg's to include a NEEDS UniversalStorage

The parts inside GameData\DMagicOrbitalScience\UniversalStorageScience\ are all good, they got

PART:NEEDS[UniversalStorage2]

but the parts inside GameData\DMagicOrbitalScience\UniversalStorage\ don't.

@DMagic

And there are even a few duplicate folders and configs. Remnants of older versions?

So, which of the both folders is "the real one"?
That one that anyway got the correct PART:NEEDS[UniversalStorage2] and in all cases got the newer timestamp on the .cfg files - so "UniversalStorageScience"?

The fact that the other folder got more subfolders and more configs confuses me. Are they all obsolete or still need to be updated?

And last but not least: the fact that this is a case since August/September 2018 even confuses me more...
Edit: I just recognized, inside GameData\DMagicOrbitalScience\UniversalStorage\ they all got

TechRequired = Unresearcheable

so they're obsolete for real.

Edit:
Not to be forgotten the fixes from https://github.com/7ranceaddic7/Orbital-Science

Edited by Gordon Dry

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, modus said:

AFAIK everything works fine. Are you in the right place to use it (high or low orbit, can't remember which)?

Now it works... got to reinstall the mod again but now the things deploy in a propper way! Thanks for the reply!

Edited by amarillo114

I am playing around in the configs with a "ultimate" science part, that include many experiments.
For now I choose the SC-9001, and put inside 5 stock ModuleScienceExperiments  without any problem, using the 
        %hideFxModuleUI = False
        %FxModules = 0

I connected experiments and the "open door" animation.

Now I want to add there also some DMModuleScienceAnimate, but I can't connect it properly to the "open door" animation.
After some tweaking, the "Collect Hydrogen Data" action is working (open door, has a delay and EC consumption), but only after you manually "open door" and "close door".

Is there a way to bypass this limitation, and having DMModuleScienceAnimate working on "Collect Hydrogen Data" without this "warming-up" ?

Spoiler

qclco4e.gif

patches for this part is in an archive:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alncj27YxKc-iBRaWg2BqTgK81al?e=5ibp0n

Edited by flart

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Omeran said:

I noticed DMagic orbital science parts can't be moved in construction mode (i.e. by Kerbal engineer) and can't be put in stock storage containers.

Is this a bug, or something that needs to be implemented?

I am not the mod creator, but it is likely something that needs to be implemented, however, there is compatibility with Kerbal Atachment System (KAS) and Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) and they are basically better versions of stock inventory system.

On 1/5/2022 at 8:56 PM, Davi SDF said:

I am not the mod creator, but it is likely something that needs to be implemented, however, there is compatibility with Kerbal Atachment System (KAS) and Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) and they are basically better versions of stock inventory system.

Thanks, I know about KIS/KAS but I really prefer to avoid them on the current run.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, r3_141592654 said:

I have a contract for "Biological Experiments" but have no idea what I am supposed to use. Similarly, what do I use to take UV Light photographs or IR Light photographs?  It seems most cameras only work in orbit.

The method I use is to open the GameData/ModuleManager.ConfigCache file in a text editor and then do a search for the experiment name. You should find a section of the file that looks something like:

UrlConfig
{
	parentUrl = Bluedog_DB/Resources/Scidef_bd_bioexp.cfg
	EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION
	{
		id = bd_bioexp
		title = Biological experiments
	}
}

Now use the shown id (bd_bioexp in this example) to do a further search for "experiment_id = xxxx". This should take you to a part that implements that experiment:

UrlConfig
{
	parentUrl = Bluedog_DB/Parts/ProbeExpansion/Biosat/bluedog_Biosat_Adapter.cfg
	PART
	{
		name = bluedog_Biosat_Adapter
		module = Part
		author = CobaltWolf
		title = Biosat Adapter Section
		MODULE
		{
			name = ModuleScienceExperiment
			experimentID = bd_bioexp
			experimentActionName = Perform Biological Experiments
		}
	}
}

This gives you the title of the part to search for in the VAB ("Biosat Adapter Section" in this case)

I don't have an exact match for the other two experiments in my current game - check the exact text being displayed in the contract. My best guess is they are the Tantares experiments "Ultraviolet Light Camera" and "Infrared Light Camera". (If you have Tantares and TantaresSP installed then there are multiple experiments with the same name but different internal ids which come on separate parts)

• 3 weeks later...

I deployed a bunch of relay sats for my Comms Network using the giant ass SIGINT dish, but it does not seem to have anywhere near as much range as it should given the supposed power of the antenna. They barely reach outside Kerbin SOI.

What am I doing wrong?

• 4 weeks later...

Is there some trick to getting these contracts to generate? I've used this mod in the past and they popped up basically immediately after unlocking the appropriate part. I've got multiple DMagic parts unlocked now and no contracts are generating. I'm using Contract Configurator, but I don't think this interacts with that.

7 minutes ago, jfjohnny5 said:

Is there some trick to getting these contracts to generate? I've used this mod in the past and they popped up basically immediately after unlocking the appropriate part. I've got multiple DMagic parts unlocked now and no contracts are generating. I'm using Contract Configurator, but I don't think this interacts with that.

Check Contract Configurator settings (accessed via the KSP settings menu) to confirm that the DMagic contract category is showing up and turned on.

Yeah it's not listed. Which I thought was odd as I could have sworn it used to be its own category. I do see what I believe are its contract "types" under the stock contract listing (Magnetic Survey, Orbital Survey, Recon Survey, etc).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/07mtck496qb18ya/Screenshot 2022-04-04 144913.png?dl=0

EDIT: Any thoughts on troubleshooting why I don't see a "DMagic" contract group?

Edited by jfjohnny5

The contracts in this mod don't use contract configurator, so you can't do much with that.

Most of these contracts have some basic requirements that have to met before they generate, but those are generally pretty simple, like reach orbit once, or a few other basic signals of progress. And to have the relevant parts unlocked. 

There are extensive config files to modify most aspects of the DMOS contracts in the mod folder.

Otherwise they should generate over time.

Hey @DMagic first off, great mod! This has been one of my "required" installs on every playthrough for years.

Can you give me a little more advice/guidance on how I could troubleshoot why these aren't generating? I've looked through the configs, but while I saw a lot of elements about setting contract rewards and parameters, I didn't see anything for contract generation requirements. For testing, I used Contract Configurator to disable ALL contracts except "Magnetic Survey" types. I ran time forward, and the result was no contracts available at all. From a game-state perspective, I've achieved Kerbin orbit as well as Mun and Minmus orbit and landing. I have the Magnetometer Boom unlocked and have even used it to capture some science already.

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to do a mission and it is asking for a SCAN RADAR Altimetry Sensor. My KSP is version 1.12.3.3173 and DMagic is 1.4.3.
Looking at all of the science in the tech tree I am not seeing any that meets that science criteria. I have added almost al science modules onto a ship and it still is nto showing that I have the part.

So help this idiot out please and what am I missing

3 hours ago, IanCanberra said:

I am trying to do a mission and it is asking for a SCAN RADAR Altimetry Sensor. My KSP is version 1.12.3.3173 and DMagic is 1.4.3.
Looking at all of the science in the tech tree I am not seeing any that meets that science criteria. I have added almost al science modules onto a ship and it still is nto showing that I have the part.

So help this idiot out please and what am I missing

That part was deprecated and is marked as Tech "unresearchable" in the current version of SCANsat. However, the contract might not require that exact part (depending on how it was written) and may work with other parts that implement the SCANsat low resolution altitude mapping function - e.g. "R-3B Radar Altimeter" or "R-EO-1 Radar Antenna"

unfortunately it does need that part. I have scanned the Mun and Minmus, both needing that exact part, with every one of the scanners to the point I have both bodies 100% in all areas but still no joy. So I just F12 the completion as I thought that was the case (part no longer there but contract ask for it). 

1 hour ago, IanCanberra said:

unfortunately it does need that part. I have scanned the Mun and Minmus, both needing that exact part, with every one of the scanners to the point I have both bodies 100% in all areas but still no joy. So I just F12 the completion as I thought that was the case (part no longer there but contract ask for it). 

Which contract is that? Is it from this mod or another contract pack?