[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

Having an issue with Dmagic: All science becomes unavailable when installed with mods (currently trying to narrow which mod it is down). I can't click any experiments in the science mode

Out of date versions of Lionhead probes and landers can cause this. Any other mod that adds science experiments that are duplicates of others will too. Thu crown sourced science logs can cause problems if you don't install it properly.

Wow, that's really weird. I tried out a number of your examples and couldn't get anything to break it. Really nailing this down will probably be very difficult with so many other mods installed. I'm on a relatively clean installation so maybe I'm missing something that's breaking it in very strange ways.

Edited by DMagic

Out of date versions of Lionhead probes and landers can cause this. Any other mod that adds science experiments that are duplicates of others will too. Thu crown sourced science logs can cause problems if you don't install it properly.

Hello,

I have same problem.... Using BTSM, Custom Biome, scansat....

I think it's Lionhead. I'll double check.

Any chance of tweaking asteroid science

An excellent chance :kiss:

to work with Custom Asteroids, so it can give different science for different families (grep it from the name, with the default being to treat it as an NKO)?

The plan here is to have some method for assigning not just asteroid family types, but composition types based on the standard asteroid spectral compositions. I sort-of have a method for this, but something similar to the name thing that Custom Asteroids is using would be best because it's easily accessible to other mods.

That way I could more specifically tailor my results based on spectral type instead of just kind-of fudging it based on the existing size classes.

I have same problem.... Using BTSM, Custom Biome, scansat....
I think it's Lionhead. I'll double check.

I can't say anything about BTSM specifically, but anything that adds new experiment definitions has the potential to cause this. I should actually submit a bug to Squad for this, even if it is mod related. If it hits a duplicate experiment definition while loading it seems to stop loading any further experiments, breaking all of the remaining experiments.

I've had some success making basic contracts.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

My thinking is to create a generic procedural contract type along with a number of more specific contracts, but maybe with some degree of proceduralness (a word?) associated with them.

I'm thinking that I can create a pool of available science experiments to create contracts for based on tech node progression, maybe with some emphasis on newly unlocked (or maybe just higher up the tech tree) science parts. These could just as easily work for stock parts too, since the stock science contracts don't ask for any specific experiments as far as I can tell. I could randomly pull an experiment from that pool, then assign a planet based on your progress (which stock contracts seem to have the methods for) and maybe add a minimum science return.

For more specific contracts I could maybe require that a number of experiments be carried out at some specific location. I'll have to think of something interesting to do for these.

I've also added myself as an agent, I can make contracts specify which agent they use, or let them use anything (I think).

http://imgur.com/a/onNaa

My thinking is to create a generic procedural contract type along with a number of more specific contracts, but maybe with some degree of proceduralness (a word?) associated with them.

I'm thinking that I can create a pool of available science experiments to create contracts for based on tech node progression, maybe with some emphasis on newly unlocked (or maybe just higher up the tech tree) science parts. These could just as easily work for stock parts too, since the stock science contracts don't ask for any specific experiments as far as I can tell. I could randomly pull an experiment from that pool, then assign a planet based on your progress (which stock contracts seem to have the methods for) and maybe add a minimum science return.

For more specific contracts I could maybe require that a number of experiments be carried out at some specific location. I'll have to think of something interesting to do for these.

I've also added myself as an agent, I can make contracts specify which agent they use, or let them use anything (I think).

Awesome work! Nice to see it's possible to write actual mission briefings, and do away with that clumsy procedurally generated text :D

Awesome work! Nice to see it's possible to write actual mission briefings, and do away with that clumsy procedurally generated text :D

I foresee much more writing in my future :D, though I am partial to the "Do Something" contract, it really gets to the point.

This looks like it will be an amazing addition to the already aweseomeness of orbital science :)

Yeah, it should provide for some much more interesting ways to interact with science.

http://imgur.com/a/onNaa

About interesting locations. Sun has only two "biomes", low and high over sun. And high is already a moho orbit. So maybe add some contract that requires to make readings beyond eelo orbit? Now there is no reason to go anywhere beynd solar system.

Bugreport: The magnetometer thingy doesn't seem to attach radially very well. I would expect some clipping to occur to make it look like its connected but it hovers just a few inches above whatever you're attaching to. Can you redesign the attachment point to sink it into the object it's attaching to a bit deeper?

EDIT: SPEELING

Edited by UAL002

The Universal Storage version of the barometer appears to provide science reports on Minmus (and I assume other planets with no atmosphere).

Shhh - it's free Science! Besides, I'm fairly sure Mun has an atmosphere (and I can prove that by showing you the readings from the onboard barometer). :-)

Bugreport: The magnetometer thingy doesn't seem to attach radially very well. I would expect some clipping to occur to make it look like its connected but it hovers just a few inches above whatever you're attaching to. Can you redesign the attachment point to sink it into the object it's attaching to a bit deeper?

Blame Squad for this. They have terribly inconsistent colliders for their parts, which causes things to either float above the surface or sink in. The magnetometer does seem to float a bit, and it doesn't much matter if it's sunk in a little, so I'll see about fixing that, but most of the others will continue to have this problem.

The Universal Storage version of the barometer appears to provide science reports on Minmus (and I assume other planets with no atmosphere).

Well, I said there would be interesting new bugs right... I'll get to this soon, it's an easy fix, thanks.

Great mod, and blocks for universal storage are even better! I'm just thinking....what about US storage block for science experiments?

For storing science data? That's not a bad idea. I could probably use the US KAS box and just use a config file to create another versions that can store science.

Good mod, thanks

Thanks.

Love this mod!

But a comment on the US parts - they provide access to some stock experiments before the stock tech tree does, which makes the game even easier. It'd make more sense to have the US parts in the same node as the stock parts, and for combined modules such as the thermometer and barometer, in the node of the later part.

Bug report (sorta):

After updating to the most recent version of Universal Storage (while also using a bunch of other .24 confirmed mods) -- I found that my Kerbals could no long conduct any science using stock parts or themselves whatsoever. No EVA, surface samples, crew reports -- stock goo containers, science labs, and etc would not collect any data or function. The thermometer, PresBat, and other devices that had "toggle display" would still show and allow that option, but would not collect any science at all. In fact, the only modules that 'would' still collect any science data were the ones included in DMagic.

I also found that my SCANsat modules would not allow the "review data" function (no science gathered or able to send/retrieve science). They worked from a planet-mapping point of view, but without the science.

After a long process of reinstalling KSP and reinstalling mods one-by-one, I found that it was the DMagic Orbital Science mod that was the culprit. After re-installing all the other mods I was using except for DMagic, the issue was resolved. This is sad, because I love the extra science options this mod brings to the game. =(

I don't know if it helps, but here are the other mods I am running (all are confirmed up-to-date versions for .24 (as of this post)):

-KSP Toolbar

-AvationLights

-CrewManifest

-CustomBiomes

-Firespitter

-Kethane

-KWRocketry

-MechJeb2

-Procedural Fairings

-Quantum Struts

-RealChute

-Texture Replacer

-SCANsat

-ShipManifest

-StationScience

-StageRecovery

-SpacePlane Plus

-Kerbal Alarm Clock

-Chatterer

-Umbra Industries MKS/OKS habitat system

-TAC life support .24 prerelease #3

-FinalFrontier Kerbal Awards Mod

-Universal Storage CORE

I hope this helps some, and saves someone else some time if they have the same issue going on.

--Holy

Edited by Holyvision

Bug report (sorta):

This happens when there is some conflicting or duplicate science experiment definitions. It has happened before with older versions of the Lionhead landers and probes; the latest version won't have that problem. I don't see anything in your list that would cause this conflict, but maybe there is some stray ScienceDefs.cfg file hiding somewhere in your GameData folder.

-------

I don't expect anything to be broken here by 0.24.1, but if anyone notices any problems let me know.

External science monitoring/activating mods now require explicit support from me to function properly

- Only mods the have a 'deploy experiment' type of button affected

i think this was a mistake myself. not even science alert works right with this mod since then. if i have say 2 goo containers then science alert will only open the first one and ignore that i have 2. mod worked great before you changed to this new science monitoring system.

BTW. love the mod. makes making nice looking ships much easier. thanks for your hard work.