[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

@DMagic: Any particular reason the temperature display on the dmUSPresTemp part uses so much EC? the pressure display doesn't use any... Gave me a bit of a runaround that one did (running with kerbalism makes it a bigger power-hog than life support).

@steve_v The way that the modules are setup only one triggers activation of both, so the secondary module doesn't have any EC usage because it isn't really on. I should probably lower the value though, I might have intended it to be 0.02 EC / second, instead of 0.2.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, I am very impressed with the experiment pack, if simply for the Universal Storage integration of the experiments. However, the US materials bay is a lot lighter than the standard versions. While I can edit the experiment back in the .cfg, I wonder why if this is by design or accident.

Looking into the USMat.cfg, this line:

tags = bay experiment lab material research dmagic dmos universal wedge (non

seems unfinished?

Edited by Freshmeat
further details

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I am not sure if this is best asked here or in the Universal Storage thread, I am having problems with the US Science parts (the wedge based science dmagic science parts).... they seem to load correctly in existing sub assemblies and ships (although are possibly flagged as locked - not sure what this means) - but they do not appear in the part list in the Vehicle Assembly building.

Are these not supported anymore? a bug?

Thanks!

Edited by rambokai

4 minutes ago, rambokai said:

Hi guys,

I am not sure if this is best asked here or in the Universal Storage thread, I am having problems with the US Science parts (the wedge based science dmagic science parts).... they seem to load correctly in existing sub assemblies and ships (although are possibly flagged as locked - not sure what this means) - but they do not appear in the part list in the Vehicle Assembly building.

Are these not supported anymore? a bug?

Thanks!

Hey, a couple of quick questions to start off:

Are you playing in career mode? If so, have you unlocked the US variants yet? Often when craft or subassemblies are listed as locked it is because one or more parts are not yet unlocked via the tech tree. This would also explain why they do not show up in the VAB. Have you made any changes to your tech tree (such as installing or removing Community Tech Tree)?

Also, are you having trouble getting other Universal Storage parts to display in the VAB?

Hi Merkov,

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes I am playing in career mode. But I have all technology nodes unlocked.  Would you like me to go and check and make sure that one of them is unlocking the modules? Hmmm.... Let me go do this.  I did not know what the locked tag meant - however it does let me load craft that have the modules on them - which seems a bit odd if I am not allowed to use them?

I have not, that I know of, I have returned to the game after about a year and I am trying to iron out some errors I am getting before playing too much.

The other US parts appear to work fine.. from memory... the empty science bay is there, as are the water tanks and such. As well as all the non-wedge based dmagic parts (some of which appear to be new since last I played).

When you say "load craft" do you mean open saved craft in the VAB or load vessels that are already built, launched, and existing in the game?

Also, an easy way to see if we are on the right track would be to start a Sandbox game, and see if the parts show up in the VAB there. If they don't, then we have a different problem.

Both to the first question, but I think I initially meant in the VAB.

Let me check on your 2nd question... 1 moment.

EDIT: They do not show up in a sandbox game either.

Interestingly enough - when I check the technology and research center, I can see the modules listed under the appropriate technologies that are unlocked.

Edited by rambokai

You can check the part configs for the US science parts, they are all in - GameData/DMagicOrbitalScience/UniversalStorage/...

They should have the TechRequired field set to Unresearchable - which will prevent them from appearing in the tech tree (though if you have already researched them I think the parts will still show up in that node's list).

And the category field set to none - which prevents them from appearing in the VAB/SPH.

At the bottom there should be a small Module Manager patch that resets those two fields so they show up. If everything is there it's possible that something went wrong with MM's cache and it needs to be reset (just delete the MM config cache file in your GameData folder).

@PART[dmUSMagBoom]:FOR[DMagic]:NEEDS[UniversalStorage]
{
	@TechRequired = miniaturization
	@category = Science
}

And if all else fails you could just manually switch all of their category fields to Science.

36 minutes ago, DMagic said:

You can check the part configs for the US science parts, they are all in - GameData/DMagicOrbitalScience/UniversalStorage/...

They should have the TechRequired field set to Unresearchable - which will prevent them from appearing in the tech tree (though if you have already researched them I think the parts will still show up in that node's list).

And the category field set to none - which prevents them from appearing in the VAB/SPH.

At the bottom there should be a small Module Manager patch that resets those two fields so they show up. If everything is there it's possible that something went wrong with MM's cache and it needs to be reset (just delete the MM config cache file in your GameData folder).

@PART[dmUSMagBoom]:FOR[DMagic]:NEEDS[UniversalStorage]
{
	@TechRequired = miniaturization
	@category = Science
}

And if all else fails you could just manually switch all of their category fields to Science.

Thanks very much! I will investigate this later today.

A bit more testing - trying to load and launch one of these Ships indicates that they have components that I have not researched... this sounds very much like it might be the issue!

This indeed appears to be the case, but deleting the MM cache file did not fix it.

Any other ideas?  Should I just manually edit the configs?

EDIT: Manually changing the configs fixes the problem I am having.

is it safe to leave the MM script behind?

Edited by rambokai