[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

On 2.10.2017 at 2:24 AM, Brigadier said:
On 2.10.2017 at 12:18 AM, zeant93 said:

Witch part will I use if I want to do a irradiance scan?

GORESat

The question in important for sure, by default there is nothing that tells this fact.

The tags of the parts that can do that also don't have the word "irradiance" in it.

When using this as search word in the filter extension part list, everything else comes as a result but no GORESat part...

@DMagic Suggestion: add "irradiance" as tag to parts that can do irradiance scan.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Universal Storage and Dmagic Obital Science all the time. It is a great must have mod for me.

I didn't know in which forum to ask. Is there any plans to include the M4435 Narrow-Band Scanner, M700 Survey Scanner, or Surface Scanning Module into the Universal Storage style? I do use Vens stock overhaul, OctoSat and some custom MM patches to get a few compact scanners. But they do not fit the same form factor style. 

Contracts often make no sense:

Ggy8QlI.png
2x the same type of Materials study? But one recover probe is enough?

Obl6RL3.png
I only can do 1x recon, or should I send a Kerbal scientist with it? Or do a EVA mission at the vessel to reset the scanner one time for the 2nd one?
Or perhaps add a 2nd recon scanner? Well...

4 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

I only can do 1x recon, or should I send a Kerbal scientist with it? Or do a EVA mission at the vessel to reset the scanner one time for the 2nd one?
Or perhaps add a 2nd recon scanner? Well...

This one makes sense doesn't it? Or am I missing what you are seeing that is confusing?
I read it as asking for a 1x recon in northern hemisphere and 1x recon in southern hemisphere. How you achieve that is up to the player - I'd just have a satellite with 1 surveillance camera and do the report at appropriate period of obit. The requested orbit is not a perfectly equatorial orbit so you'll be over the appropriate area eventually. I'd then just transmit the report after running the experiment each time.

Edit: Looked at the Little Brother part and saw the value experimentLimit = 2  as well as "rerunnable = False". I'd need to fire the mod up again to double check if you can run the experiment twice with a transmit after each run. If you can - no probs. If the rerunnable value of 'false' prevents more than one experiment attempt, then yeah - the contract probably might need to take into account that rerunnable value before adding the same experiment twice.

For the first one,  that is weird to have two - Although I can think of a plausible reason it occurs... Is there any chance of having two parts that have the same experimentID of "mobileMaterialsLab" in your GameData?
Dmagic Orbital Science itself already has one experiment that would give the same experiment name - "SC-901 Science Micro".
The universal storage part with the same experimentID would of given this text in the contract "perform Universal Storage Materials Study".
There is also this mod that puts the materials study into a mystery goo container model called the MSP-3000. 

the contract might of randomly selected the stock Science Jr and the Dmagic SC-901 for the list of experiments to be perform for the contract. As both have experimentID = mobileMaterialsLab, it would give this result as the contract settings don't restrict the materials study to the DMagic 'dmRoverMat' part. I'm not familiar with Contract Configurator - is there a way for the contract to 'OR' science experiments with same experimentIDs to avoid repeat requests like this? Alternative would be to add another entry for a DM_CONTRACT_EXPERIMENT that asks for the Science Micro part with a different experiment name of "Micro Materials Study"

Not trying to dismiss the issue - there may be one - but I thought I'd volunteer possible reasons for these examples.

Edited by wile1411

@Gordon Dry

8 hours ago, wile1411 said:

For the first one,  that is weird to have two - Although I can think of a plausible reason it occurs... Is there any chance of having two parts that have the same experimentID of "mobileMaterialsLab" in your GameData?
Dmagic Orbital Science itself already has one experiment that would give the same experiment name - "SC-901 Science Micro".
The universal storage part with the same experimentID would of given this text in the contract "perform Universal Storage Materials Study".

I think this is the reason for the first problem. The system is supposed to remove an experiment from the list of possible parameters as soon as it adds it, but in some cases there are duplicate entries for the Universal Storage, or other parts. I can fix the code so it checks for duplicate experiment types, but this could also be fixed by removing any duplicate entries from the DMContracts.cfg file in the Resources folder. Those entries don't support adding multiple parts to the same entry, so you can't combine them, that is something else I can fix later.

For the second problem, all of the recon science parts support at least two samples. The Big and Little Brother Recon parts have film canisters to show how many samples they can store (and this is stated in the part descriptions and KSPedia entry); 2 for Little Brother, 4 for Big Brother. And the SIGINT dishes are reusable. So there is no single recon contract that would required multiple parts or Kerbal intervention.

8 hours ago, wile1411 said:

I'm not familiar with Contract Configurator

The contracts here don't use or require CC. They pre-date CC by quite a bit, so there was never any reason to use it or convert them.

@wile1411 @DMagic perhaps I missed something, @N70 could it be that Kerbalism is the reason that the recon scan data is not transmittable, so has to be worked out in a science lab or recovered AND that only one instance of science is allowed per recon scanner?

Edit:

@N70 perhaps the issue with GameData\Kerbalism\Support\ContractConfigurator.cfg is the reson?
See https://github.com/MoreRobustThanYou/Kerbalism/issues/9

Edited by Gordon Dry

• 2 weeks later...

@DMagic No Kerbalism here, but still issues with contracts, like correct parameters are not recognized for specific orbits.

Parameters that never get fulfilled in contracts with the DMagic agency flag are:

• Orbit with at least x eccentricity
  • Orbit with at least x inclination
  • Have the following parts onboard (and this is weird, they're original DMagic parts)

JQYkMdS.png

Log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lniueb7xznw8wr2/2018-05-17_2 KSP.log.7z?dl=1

The highlighted part is not an Orbital Science magnetometer.

I believe the contract parameter note for the part request will specify which parts can be used, that might only be in the Space Center and VAB scenes, though.

It can also be added to the list of acceptable parts using the DMContracts.cfg file.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2016 at 6:05 AM, DMagic said:

@mikerl I thought I fixed that, but apparently not, they are still checking for a scientist.

Hi Dmagic,

Just a heads up that while working on a mod, I noticed that this bug of only checking for Kerbal Level and not checking specifically for a scientist is still in the ResetExperiment() section of the DMModuleScienceAnimate module.  You do check for a scientist in the CleanUpExperimentExternal() section that is available after a science report has been removed, so that might be why it was difficult to find the cause.

Issue #84

Edited by wile1411

how do I determine the optimal altitudes for various scans? For example. I've tried the Multi-spectral scan from 250-1500km and it's all listed as sub-optimal. Is the math somewhere such as X number of meters above the planet's surface?

Thx

Edited by Tyko

54 minutes ago, Tyko said:

how do I determine the optimal altitudes for various scans? For example. I've tried the Multi-spectral scan from 250-1500km and it's all listed as sub-optimal. Is the math somewhere such as X number of meters above the planet's surface?

Thx

I think it says in the pop-out info in the tech browser and part browser. I don't think it does in-flight

@wile1411 That's not a bug. Reset Experiment means to dump any results currently stored in the part and allow for new collection again (basically the same thing as click the trash can or recycle button in the experiment results window, except this function will clear out all data for parts that allow for more than one set of data to be collected at a time). Clean Up Experiment External is the method for allowing an EVA scientist to reset an expended experiment, like a goo pod, or the recon telescopes. Those are two very different things.

10 hours ago, Tyko said:

Thx

9 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

I think it says in the pop-out info in the tech browser and part browser. I don't think it does in-flight

Correct, you can only see that info in the VAB. I ended up writing the minimum/optimal/max altitudes for the scanners on a post it. Attached it to my monitor, life is better now.

29 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Also worth noting is that the KSPedia entry for Scansat has images of all the VAB information screens for all the parts.  So you can pull them up there if you need to.

Thanks, the problem is that I'm using a scaled system and I'm trying to figure out how to actually calculate the altitudes. In the example config below it says 650000, but my scaled Kerbin is 1500km equatorial radius instead of the normal 600km. So I'm trying to figure out what the ideal height is above my larger Kerbin

@PART[dmImagingPlatform]:HAS[!MODULE[SCANsat]]:FOR[DMagic]:NEEDS[SCANsat]
{
    @description ^= :$: Can also interface with SCANsat equipment to function as a biome scanner:
    MODULE
    {
        name = SCANsat
        sensorType = 24
        fov = 10
        min_alt = 5000
        max_alt = 1000000
        best_alt = 650000

scanName = Multi-Spectral scan
        RESOURCE
        {
            name = ElectricCharge
            rate = 1.5
        }
    }
}

Thanks!

Edited by Tyko

7 hours ago, DMagic said:

@wile1411 That's not a bug. Reset Experiment means to dump any results currently stored in the part and allow for new collection again (basically the same thing as click the trash can or recycle button in the experiment results window, except this function will clear out all data for parts that allow for more than one set of data to be collected at a time). Clean Up Experiment External is the method for allowing an EVA scientist to reset an expended experiment, like a goo pod, or the recon telescopes. Those are two very different things.

I raise this as the ResetExperimentExternal() method used by a Kerbal on EVA calls the Reset Experiment method. As you mentioend, Reset experiment is when there is still data in the expieriment. CleanUpExperimentExternal() is for when the experiment needs resetting after the data has been removed.

I figure both External methods would want the Kerbal to be a Scientist, but the ResetExperimentExternal() method that calls ResetExperiment does not do this check if a scientist is doing the resetting.

I may be wrong in that you actually want non-scientists reseting you experiments as they are not stock experiments. So I admit that might of been intentional.

@wile1411 Like I said, the ResetExperiment method is basically the same thing as reviewing the data and clicking the trash/recycle icon. And it is the same method used by any reset right-click menu functions and action groups. So it wouldn't make sense to require a scientist to do what you can accomplish just by reviewing the data or pushing an action group button.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 6:50 AM, DMagic said:

@wile1411 Like I said, the ResetExperiment method is basically the same thing as reviewing the data and clicking the trash/recycle icon. And it is the same method used by any reset right-click menu functions and action groups. So it wouldn't make sense to require a scientist to do what you can accomplish just by reviewing the data or pushing an action group button.

Ah, gotcha! Apologies for the bug report then - I'll retract / close it later today.

I had reported that purely from a "comparison to stock experiments" point of view. It initially felt very 'odd' to do some experiment testing and notice that it was my 'Engineer' that was able to reset an experiment that had been run.

What you said makes sense. If an experiment can be run again while the Kerbal is inside a capsule (I think of it as overwriting the existing report so long as it hasn't been removed), then why not when the Kerbal (of any role) is outside for the same conditions.

Edited by wile1411

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there. I just found your mod and it looks absolutely amazing! I'm on my first career playthrough since purchasing the game and am trying to keep as close to the stock science system as possible. However, I really like the mini goo and the mini materials bay. Is there any way to use those parts without changing my entire science progression system? Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a hard time to get the asteroid sounding experiment to work. (using KSP 1.4.4 and DMagic Orbital Science 1.3.12).

When attaching both modules to the asteroid I get the beam to show between them, and the status says "receiver in range", but shortly after, the "Scan asteroid interior" action disappear.

Am I doing it wrong?

Could it be that I need a certain level of scientist to conduct the test, or something similar? (I only sent an engineer with a remote guiding unit).

@Omeran You don't need any kind of Kerbal to use those parts.

Is the asteroid between the two receivers? Are they both attached to the asteroid, if not then you'll need to make sure that the other receiver is the target of your current vessel.

It can be tricky to get everything lined up because of some recent changes to KSP that make it so that any other parts will block the signal between the two receivers. So you need a clear line of sight between both receivers with nothing but the asteroid between them.

14 hours ago, DMagic said:

@Omeran You don't need any kind of Kerbal to use those parts.

Is the asteroid between the two receivers? Are they both attached to the asteroid, if not then you'll need to make sure that the other receiver is the target of your current vessel.

It can be tricky to get everything lined up because of some recent changes to KSP that make it so that any other parts will block the signal between the two receivers. So you need a clear line of sight between both receivers with nothing but the asteroid between them.

Oh. That makes sense. I was just about to ask.