getting to eve?

how do i get to eve without using a million engines?

Build simple. Find the intercept window and do the burn from Kerban orbit.

This Career Mode ship made the trip as well as the simple ten part challange one way mission.

eKQOxWV.jpg

3ShcRQU.jpg

This one can do it as well.

Rz1Nym6.jpg

The ten part challenge one way mission

NCZOsRY.jpg

pSOI4AS.jpg

Getting to Eve orbit from Kerbin orbit = easy.

Getting back to Kerbin from Eve orbit = easy.

It's just like going to Duna - in fact I maintain it's easier than going to Duna, as you need less delta-V to get to Eve and there are in general more launch windows per Kerbin year.

Landing on Eve = easy.

Just pack chutes. Drogues are useful on Eve, I've learned...

Taking off from Eve = insanely difficult. But that's the only bit and if I were to guess, that's the real question you want to have answered.

Having yet to do it my own self, I can't really help you there.

Keep it as small as you can, get yourself the Kerbal Engineer Redux so you can build accurately.

4,400 m/s to get orbit.

900 m/s to escape sun's SOI.

1,200 m/s to get to Eve.

1,000 m/s to slow down and circulize. (Aerobraking can reduce this A LOT, even down to zero if you take some time getting the perfect encounter. To do this keep hold of the left mouse button whilst hovering over the periapsis of your encounter node, it will stay on the screen as you fiddle with your node, just try to get it as low as possible).

'Chutes to land.

These numbers are approximate, but close enough to work. Build a ship with a total delta v budget of around 8,000 m/s and you're good to go...but not to get back, that's very hard.

Here's a shot of the engineer in action in the VAB. You can see thrust to weights and delta v for each stage and lots of other nice information. You can even switch the frame of reference to another body to be even more accurate, lower gravity of Duna or the Mun means less thrust is required to take off and go home.

Don't think i would still be playing KSP if it wasn't for the Engineer Redux, so damn useful, makes you feel like a proper rocket scientist rather than a rocket experimenter...or something.

6AC1A34F335454F4C2E1604C2C24000E8C49E0E4

And yes, that thing did get me to the Mun and back.

Here he is riding the winds of his home planet after going to the Mun baby, WAHOOOOOOOO!!!!

DF133D4AE6867E6A2E224D92FB696A6B29302D5F

Edited by Monkeh

In rocket science,the less is more. you can use four FL-T200 with 48-7s to them,to get into kerbins orbit :)

You can do it with one of each on a bare bone Stayputnik probe with spare battery, thermometer, and solar panel;

Ur2ROA2.jpg

syqnIql.jpg

note the altitude achieved;

LM6zOLN.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.