Chaka Monkey - Closed Development Thread

YANFRET

Going to say you would want to use the upper stage as a crasher, like the Blok D for the LK lander. As for the rover being undriveable, try disabling motors on some of the wheels, or disabling steering. While these are designed for Duna, you would probably have a beter time if you mess around with those for a bit.

I will try your suggestions tonight. Thanks :wink:

Made quite a lot of tests yesterday evening.

1) impossible to put 4 legs to the 3rd stage: the engine is too long !

2) the rover is undrivable on the Mun, it will be even worse on Minmus. I think the problem comes from the wheels (too powerful ?), but not really sure.

3) there is IMHO a problem with the orientation of the lower lander.

Either this lander should be orientated in the other direction, either adding a small probe core to the 3rd stage is necessary if we consider the use of MechJeb. Impossible to land on the Mun in another way than in manual mode (MechJeb has a problem with the orientation of the lander in opposite direction to the engine, so technically MechJeb does exactly the opposite of what is requested).

The lander has not enough delta-v to land on the Mun by himself from low orbit (~25km, it was missing 100 m/s at each trial). It took me nearly 20 trials to find out how to not crash and land where i wanted :D

4) how do we use the docking ports of the rover and lander ?

As a conclusion, the landing of the pod in my small village (the base is built with KSO) next to one of the anomalies on the Mun

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/23/1401789074-screenshot121.png

Nice Mun Village!

For most simple operation of rover support lander, try the de orbit manually with the 3rd stage and then select "control from here" on the remote guidance unit right above it's landing ring. It is oriented properly for landing.

For dock ports, right click and select extend

For rover operation, disable steering on center wheels and be ginger with the throttle. You might decide to make it front wheel drive as well for Munar operation by disabling drive on the rear and center wheels. Make sure you disable torque on rover pieces and disable SAS before driving.

:D

For most simple operation of rover support lander, try the de orbit manually with the 3rd stage and then select "control from here" on the remote guidance unit right above it's landing ring. It is oriented properly for landing.

Already tried, doesn't change anything, the RGU is orientated in the same direction as the lander. I even suspected a bug so i restarted KSP, no change ...

For dock ports, right click and select extend

Did, but nothing happens (no transfer possibility between the rover and the lander at least, and no magnetic attraction)

For rover operation, disable steering on center wheels and be ginger with the throttle. You might decide to make it front wheel drive as well for Munar operation by disabling drive on the rear and center wheels. Make sure you disable torque on rover pieces and disable SAS before driving.

I will try that too :)

Already tried, doesn't change anything, the RGU is orientated in the same direction as the lander. I even suspected a bug so i restarted KSP, no change ...

Did, but nothing happens (no transfer possibility between the rover and the lander at least, and no magnetic attraction)

I will try that too :)

Sounds like I need to flip the RGU around on that one : (

On the dock ports, keep trying, it's tricky! Once you get them to dock the first time it will make sense. Think of it as a little mini game within the game. Make sure the rover is really stopped as well.

Crew transfer is accomplished with the "Crew Manifest" plugin only.

For the rover, i confirm that the problem came from the reaction wheels in both cabin and base.

With both on ON, the rover is an expert in breakdance ! :D

Having so much torque on the rover base is a consequence of the landing method. In the real world a computer would vary the thrust from each of the four engines to keep it stable as the mass shifts from propellant burn etc, however since we cant do that the torque substitutes with the side effect of the requirement to turn it off separately from the motors :P

Atmospheric Monkey Lander System Concept:

Testing with optional Duna Supply Habitat.

(3rd stage config subject to change)

pnf1c.jpg

579n.jpg

8232.jpg

pn0uo.jpg

rwhw.jpg

The inflatable heat shield is not ready yet.

Special thanks to Lack for licensing to us his really nice radial engine system!!

Edited by YANFRET

Sorry for the delays on the heatshields, everybody.

My laptop literally fell apart this past month, and I haven't been able to get a new one. I promise that I'll have something to show for my efforts soon!

No worries mate, your efforts are greatly appriciated :)

Talisar Large Upper Stage (TALUS) Concept:

zw8ne.jpg

EDIT: J2-X engines shown here are not the correct scale â–²

Edited by YANFRET

Has anyone got this weird issue? I tried redownloading and no dice. Its like the normal maps are strange or something. Perhaps it has something to do with ActiveTextureCompressor.

Wow! That looks like crap.

Yes, for some parts in this pack you may have unexpected texture compression results. However, good news! This particular texture is pretty small so if you create an exception to your compression it should not impact memory very much.

EDIT: Perhaps once we're beyond the alpha stage we will have had time to choose a uniform texture format for the entire pack as well.

Edited by YANFRET

Wow! That looks like crap.

Yes, for some parts in this pack you may have unexpected texture compression results. However, good news! This particular texture is pretty small so if you create an exception to your compression it should not impact memory very much.

EDIT: Perhaps once we're beyond the alpha stage we will have had time to choose a uniform texture format for the entire pack as well.

Ah ok. I'll either remove that config or see if I can find a way to not apply it to those specific textures. It only seems to be the bobcat-derived models, though as you say the format is not frozen yet.

â–² Coming soon

â–¼Alpha 5

- Really fixed craft loading issue!

- Alcor Monkey Rover!

- Monkey Launch System

- Munar 2x system

- Balanced some parts

- Removed parts clutter

- Trimmed 30mb from pack size

- Fixed Orion texture and parachute issues

- For KSP 23.5

Please test craft files and give feedback.

â–º https://www.dropbox.com/s/h79bwa6tpz5rogx/Chaka%20Monkey%20Alpha%205.zip â—„

The purpose of this download is to test the Alcor Monkey Rover. The craft file you will be looking for is called "Monkey Launch System - Rover".

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement is REQUIRED for ALL Chaka Monkey operations http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/kerbal-joint-reinforcement/

Crew Manifest is recommended for transfer of Kerbals or Monkeys from one pod to another http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/18-1-kerbal-crew-manifest/

ALCOR MONKEY ROVER notes: Disable torque on A.L.C.O.R. pod AND Rover Base before launch. Set "Control Here" on Remote Guidance Unit below rover. Before landing, enable torque for both and set "Control Here" on A.L.C.O.R. Pod. After landing DISABLE TORQUE again and avoid SAS. Lock Steering on center wheel set. Do not turn at high speed. Ability to slow down depends on terrain. For ALCOR IVA props function you must also install Raster Prop Monitor https://github.com/Mihara/RasterPropMonitor/releases/download/v0.14/RasterPropMonitor.0.14.zip as well as have the standard A.L.C.O.R. pod installed and you must read the A.L.C.O.R. instructions: forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/54925-WIP-ALCOR-Advanced-Landing-Capsule-for-Orbital-Rendezvous-by-ASET-(UPD-11-02-2014)?highlight=alcor

Rover Support Habitat notes: Use MLS upper stage for de orbit burn of Rover Support Habitat. * * Rover docking port vertical alignment subject to change * *

Monkey Launch System notes: MLS is a refined launch vehicle with 180 ton capacity at 200km circular. No pad equipment required. Vehicle typically performs excellently without any drama. For Munar 2x operation, recommend moving Kerman to the Altair lander before leaving VAB, or remove him and select "control from here" on the Altair lander inside the fairing at the launch pad. Throttle to full, launch. Perform slight pitch kick when clear of the pad. Do not "over fly" the rocket. With minor adjustments it will fly a nice parabola. * IMPORTANT: zero throttle before upper stage ignition!! Allow 5-10 seconds to clear first stage fairing before ignition of second stage. Recommend stable vehicle config before stage separation. Use upper stage for orbital insertion and Munar transfer. Upper stage has surplus â–²V in this configuration.

Chaka Monkey vehicles are optimized for this flight path:

http://imageshack.com/a/img855/8868/xtq4.jpg

You don't have to use autopilot, but you can if you like.

How to use:

* DELETE PREVIOUS VERSION AND CRAFT FILES!!! Put "CMES" folder in your Game Data and put .craft files in your VAB. Craft files in this update require 23.5

* Warranty void if operation by non-monkey technician is attempted.

* Chaka Monkey Exploration Systems, GmbH is licensed by the original authors noted below to distribute this content.

* These parts should not interfere with content you may already have from these authors with one exception; the procedural fairings DLL is included in this -- so you need to be extra aware if you have another copy of that around somewhere and deal with that. I expect you may use whichever version of the DLL you prefer or the one included here, however please do not use this download as a reference for the most current version of the procedural fairings DLL.

Downloadable items on this page contain modified content made available under the conditions of original license from:

Winston & Kickasskyle - KW Rocketry

Alexustas - A.L.C.O.R. Pod

Bobcat, Ind. American Pack

Tiberion - NovaPunch

Kosmos Spacecraft Design Bureau

Lionhead Aerospace

Sumghai - SDHI Service Module System

Alexey Volynskov (Keramzit Procedural Fairings)

BahamutoD - Atlas V SRB

Sumghai / Fustek / Nothke - Habitats

Chaka the Monkey would like to extend a special thank you to these developers. They worked very hard to make these parts and we have organized them for Monkey Exploration because they are excellent.

LICENSE

All media items available for download on this forum thread are copyrighted by their respective original authors and released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License. You can read the full terms of the license on the Creative Commons webpage here: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

*breathing intensifies*

Ah ok. I'll either remove that config or see if I can find a way to not apply it to those specific textures. It only seems to be the bobcat-derived models, though as you say the format is not frozen yet.

Will you please keep me informed about what settings in your texture compression have undesirable results with which models? If there is a particular compression config that you find optimal for other reasons we can take that into account when it's time to finalize texture formats.

PS the tank you showed about is a NovaPunch product originally.

*breathing intensifies*

Please don't quote posts that are so big. It clutters up the thread, and it isn't exactly hard to convey your reaction in a different way.

EDIT: @YANFRET, the NovaPunch parts have been known not to play well with texture reduction mods.

EDIT: @YANFRET, the NovaPunch parts have been known not to play well with texture reduction mods.

That's a good point. Well, I think that's how it is for now then because where Chaka goes, Nova goes.

Chaka / Bobcat J-2X Version 3:

New engine textures and superior integration for Chaka Large Upper Stage

By moving the central tank attach point and adding new ones for the engines, as well as using the Chaka / Bobcat J-2X part, rigidity of the Monkey Launch System is improved while also reducing parts count.

azyh.jpg

5us5.jpg

1rv8.jpg

Edited by YANFRET

Monkey Orion System Type F

Special thanks to Frizzank who has licensed to us his Titan SRB products for Monkey Exploration. I wanted to have an alternative SRB setup for launching Orion, in this case more for style than substance, echoing the majesty of Titan launches.

0dtt.jpg

* Texture config subject to change

Edited by YANFRET

An article you might find interesting regarding SLS upper stage changes:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2014/06/nasa-confirms-eus-sls-block-ib-design-em-2-flight/

Farewell J2X, hello big mess of RL-10s! I have to admit, I love that tapered open tank truss, it looks pretty modern/industrial, and its nice to see someone doing renderings of rockets in space with the appropriate looking engine exhaust.

From earlier, removing the texture compressor config solved the problem of the funky normals. It appears to have been on the J2X, all the fuel tanks that share that texture, the lander particle shield and its similar lander parts (cylindrical pieces).

Farewell J2X, hello big mess of RL-10s! I have to admit, I love that tapered open tank truss, it looks pretty modern/industrial, and its nice to see someone doing renderings of rockets in space with the appropriate looking engine exhaust.

From earlier, removing the texture compressor config solved the problem of the funky normals. It appears to have been on the J2X, all the fuel tanks that share that texture, the lander particle shield and its similar lander parts (cylindrical pieces).

Oh the J2-X will come around on the guitar again.

Last year when Boeing proposed that part I was so interested in it that I got an L2 subscription to get at the high res renderings, and then I teamed up with Talisar to build the model. I'm excited to see it's made it through the red tape so far.

Talisar Large Upper Stage (TALUS)

Flight configuration with J-2X and Monkey Exploration Habitat

tvu5.jpg

shya.jpg

z9ie.jpg

d3jwf.jpg

pmrvm.jpg

With four J-2X engines it's ridiculously over powered for such a small payload. The purpose of that config is actually for lifting the very heavy Monkey Transfer Vehicle segments to a 600km orbit which is generally out of reach for the dual J-2X Chaka Large Upper Stage.

The joke around the Talisar Aerospace / Chaka Monkey break room is that Boeing might have the real one ready before we're done tinkering with the KSP version. Frizzank has kindly offered to license his RL-10 model for Monkey Exploration so we may see that fly on this upper stage soon.

Edited by YANFRET

Oh the J2-X will come around on the guitar again.

Last year when Boeing proposed that part I was so interested in it that I got an L2 subscription to get at the high res renderings, and then I teamed up with Talisar to build the model. I'm excited to see it's made it through the red tape so far.

Talisar Large Upper Stage (TALUS)

Flight configuration with J-2X and Monkey Exploration Habitat

http://imageshack.com/a/img820/3748/tvu5.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img849/1329/shya.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img856/7990/z9ie.jpg

Would that be the J-2X configuration? It thought that would be how it would look with RL-10 engines, and then there'd be another, larger upper stage for the Block II. Where did I go wrong?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.