Chaka Monkey - Closed Development Thread

YANFRET

Would that be the J-2X configuration? It thought that would be how it would look with RL-10 engines, and then there'd be another, larger upper stage for the Block II. Where did I go wrong?

You're not wrong, it's just confusion because of the shotgun style approach of nasaspaceflight with regard to what renderings they show.

Above is the J2-X config, the RL-10's would be about half the engine size. The Boeing Large Upper Stage is SLS core stage diameter just like I show here, however there are a variety of ~5 meter interim stages being tossed around in the graphics so it gets confusing. Yes, the Block II upper will be larger still, but not in terms of maximum diameter, it will have a taller tank up top (maybe twice) and look a lot more like the Block II Chaka Large Upper Stage from a few pages ago.

Sorry for the confusion, indeed showing four J2-X engines on this smaller upper stage is very strange except that 1) I'm testing both of those parts right now and 2) This config may be useful for MTV orbital assembly to give an extra delta kick right after 2nd stage sep.

Oh look, a picture!

3ffg.jpg

Just imagine there are little RL-10's hanging from the Talus. Hmmm that sounds odd.

With regard to which for what...

You're gonna want the one on the right with some RL-10's for a smaller payload that goes somewhere far. The one on the left is for a larger payload that also goes far. The mixed config I made up top would be for a larger payload that is only going to orbit. LOL in other words the exact opposite of the payload I pictured with it.

Edited by YANFRET

You're not wrong, it's just confusion because of the shotgun style approach of nasaspaceflight with regard to what renderings they show.

Just imagine there are little RL-10's hanging from the Talus. Hmmm that sounds odd.

With regard to which for what...

You're gonna want the one on the right with some RL-10's for a smaller payload that goes somewhere far. The one on the left is for a larger payload that also goes far. The mixed config I made up top would be for a larger payload that is only going to orbit. LOL in other words the exact opposite of the payload I pictured with it.

I've been kind of using this mod as a modern extension of my FASA-style game so this is pretty neat!

So... the SLS Block I/IB/IA/CanIjustgiveupnow will use a smaller-than-core diameter upper stage, powered by four RL-10s. The upper stage of the Block II will look the same as the other one, but larger and powered by... two J-2X's? Anyway, if you're looking for an RL-10, you can always ask Frizzank. He has made quite a nice one just a few days ago.

So... the SLS Block I/IB/IA/CanIjustgiveupnow will use a smaller-than-core diameter upper stage, powered by four RL-10s. The upper stage of the Block II will look the same as the other one, but larger and powered by... two J-2X's? Anyway, if you're looking for an RL-10, you can always ask Frizzank. He has made quite a nice one just a few days ago.

Strictly speaking the Interim Cryogenic Propulsion Stage for SLS block I/IB/IA etc would have one RL-10, beginning with the Delta IV upper and changing it as they need to. Oh yes, I mentioned up top Frizzank (awesome) did offer to license his new RL-10 and I am very interested in it as well. :)

Alright, so ICPS (which would only be flown once) is just the DCSS, EUS is the same but with more RL-10s, and then the upper stage for Block II would use the J-2X's?

Except that the "EUS" or "DUUS" or "LUS" - whichever you want to call it, is 8.4 meters on the top tank where as the ICPS/DCSS is 5 meters on the upper tank. The full scale Block II upper stage is also 8.4 meters but is taller and would use J-2X in two or three engine config. (depending on the destination; three for MTV construction, two for TMI)

EDIT: Sorry mis typed.... ICPS/DCSS is four meters not five in SLS block I baseline ^

Edited by YANFRET

For some reason the game is crashing every time I try to add the square docking port to a hab module. Error log gives "(0x000000014043C91C) (KSP): (filename not available): NxCreateCoreSDK + 0xd390c" message. I think maybe I'm missing a plugin but I'm not sure. Anybody run into this before?

For some reason the game is crashing every time I try to add the square docking port to a hab module. Error log gives "(0x000000014043C91C) (KSP): (filename not available): NxCreateCoreSDK + 0xd390c" message. I think maybe I'm missing a plugin but I'm not sure. Anybody run into this before?

Yeah that's a new one on me. Try a clean install and go from there?

Chaka Monkey Launch Vehicle Type FX

♦ Complete rework of 3.75 meter Chaka vehicle

♦ FASA SRB (optional)

♦ Aerojet Kerbodyne upper stage tank

♦ Bobcat J-2X upper stage engine

♦ FASA RL-10 final stage engine

♦ Contains Monkey Snax

8bwj.jpg

gkgr.jpg

yt9s.jpg

vpto9.jpg

dsh9.jpg

f9y9.jpg

laqt.jpg

bu4p.jpg

igazs.jpg

Monkey Orion System Type X

g5ry.jpg

n6wkf.jpg

4yo4.jpg

q075.jpg

1udv.jpg

fkzc.jpg

xdf4.jpg

I say this from time to time but once again Very special thanks to KickAss Kyle and Winston of KW Rocketry for being our "Go-To" GOTFG 3.75m systems contractor. Go KW!

ra8c.jpg

Edited by YANFRET

Except that the "EUS" or "DUUS" or "LUS" - whichever you want to call it, is 8.4 meters on the top tank where as the ICPS/DCSS is 5 meters on the upper tank. The full scale Block II upper stage is also 8.4 meters but is taller and would use J-2X in two or three engine config. (depending on the destination; three for MTV construction, two for TMI)

Ahhhh... so there's the DCSS/ICPS, then EUS (which looks like the ICPS, but with core stage diameter and powered by a lot of RL-10's) and then there's the larger Block II upper stage which I don't know how will look, but is powered by J-2X's.

Anyway, that Type FX looks really neat.

Ahhhh... so there's the DCSS/ICPS, then EUS (which looks like the ICPS, but with core stage diameter and powered by a lot of RL-10's) and then there's the larger Block II upper stage which I don't know how will look, but is powered by J-2X's.

Anyway, that Type FX looks really neat.

Just to add a little more confusion, I mis spoke above. The DCSS/ICPS is 4 meters in SLS config, although there is also a 5 meter version. For Block I the 4 meter DCSS would sit inside a fairing, but a 5 meter version would mount common with the Orion SM fairing. Then, beyond that would be the 8.4 meter products.

By the way, for Monkey Orion systems above, wait for it, I'm using a 5 meter (at 75% scale) config with a J-2X, not the SLS Block I ICPS or 4 meter DCSS. Think of it as a common ground between the Aries I upper and a Delta IV core stage with SRB's added.

Edited by YANFRET

MTV Update:

1pav.jpg

dw6f.jpg

axm49.jpg

zyzq.jpg

invql.jpg

xgxl4.jpg

Okay so what we have here, other than the new textures, is a single propulsive stage where the structural docking rings are used in place of the drop tank truss. SO the upper tank is released before MOI burn, and a replacement tank (pre positioned at "DUNA" orbit) is inserted into the stack before TEI burn.

Edited by YANFRET

I have to say that.......this is one of the best put together mods ever!! I love that you took the best of the most popular mods and totally made them your own and packaged them this way. I have had so much fun fooling around with this it nuts. I thought there were going to be more craft files based on the pictures you've posted through out this thread, but thats not a complaint I have had a lot of fun just throwing stuff together. That all being said I did encounter a few issues. The engine on the orion seems to work but doesn't have any effects coming out the nozzle. Also based on some of the picture especially on the last page it seems that I might have an outdated download possibly, unless the stuff you post is WIP, then my bad. Finally seperatrons are a much needed addition, if you plan on updates that is something you need to consider adding especially on the big SRBS. Anyway keep up the great work this is awesome.

2ID59ZS.png

Also I had a problem with the parachutes. The chutes seems to open out of order.

PMN4dv2.png

Edited by sp1989

I have to say that.......this is one of the best put together mods ever!! I love that you took the best of the most popular mods and totally made them your own and packaged them this way. I have had so much fun fooling around with this it nuts. I thought there were going to be more craft files based on the pictures you've posted through out this thread, but thats not a complaint I have had a lot of fun just throwing stuff together. That all being said I did encounter a few issues. The engine on the orion seems to work but doesn't have any effects coming out the nozzle. Also based on some of the picture especially on the last page it seems that I might have an outdated download possibly, unless the stuff you post is WIP, then my bad. Finally seperatrons are a much needed addition, if you plan on updates that is something you need to consider adding especially on the big SRBS. Anyway keep up the great work this is awesome.

https://i.imgur.com/2ID59ZS.png

Also I had a problem with the parachutes. The chutes seems to open out of order.

https://i.imgur.com/PMN4dv2.png

Thanks!

Yep, that update is getting rather old and you're right about all of those issues. I decided the next download should be a few more steps forward or a rough draft of a beta so it's taking some time. It is a bit of a tease to keep showing you guys new stuff and then you go find the same out of date download, I get that. But your feedback on the new product images helps guide me as well.

The blue reflection problem is not fixed yet. It still plagues FASA I always remove it.

* CLEARS DESK * .... ...thank you for the status update

Edited by YANFRET

Thanks!

Yep, that update is getting rather old and you're right about all of those issues. I decided the next download should be a few more steps forward or a rough draft of a beta so it's taking some time. It is a bit of a tease to keep showing you guys new stuff and then you go find the same out of date download, I get that. But your feedback on the new product images helps guide me as well.

* CLEARS DESK * .... ...thank you for the status update

I mean I am very excited about the upcoming updates but I am having a lot of fun with the current state of the pack. Quick question why not use the rpm IVA that bobcat made for the orion? Is that a licensing thing?

I mean I am very excited about the upcoming updates but I am having a lot of fun with the current state of the pack. Quick question why not use the rpm IVA that bobcat made for the orion? Is that a licensing thing?

Yay politically correct answers tyme! Not a licensing thing. Also, :) Talisar Aerospace has a contract with CMES to produce a bespoke IVA at 1.12 scale so that, among other things, the windows match up. Since we were compelled to drop a pile of work on the accounts receivable desk at Talisar Aerospace last week, status on that IVA is TBD.

Active Thermal Control

Kosmos TM Radiator system built into MTV tank to prevent boil off

emm7.jpg

gedtb.jpg

otls3.jpg

Edited by YANFRET

Just looking through the zip... Is there any reason to keep the multiple copies of things that I seem to already have? Such as the cupola or all the KW stuff...

Edit:

Generally if something is in the zip file it's there for a reason, however with each alpha version I am reducing the surplus parts clutter and cleaning up un needed texture files as the mission requirements become more well understood.

Edited by YANFRET

Yay politically correct answers tyme! Not a licensing thing. Also, :) Talisar Aerospace has a contract with CMES to produce a bespoke IVA at 1.12 scale so that, among other things, the windows match up. Since we were compelled to drop a pile of work on the accounts receivable desk at Talisar Aerospace last week, status on that IVA is TBD.

Active Thermal Control

Kosmos TM Radiator system built into MTV tank to prevent boil off

http://imageshack.com/a/img856/9949/emm7.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img837/5534/gedtb.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img841/900/otls3.jpg

Hahaha very well said. It answered my question while simultaneously leaving me confused. Well done.

The blue reflection problem is not fixed yet. It still plagues FASA I always remove it.

The blue reflection problem, I think is just how you set it up fasa try to keep the lag down so the reflection, I think is set low if you change it alittle you see a more shiny but more lag.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.