Chaka Monkey - Closed Development Thread

YANFRET

Wow! Dude I know you are working hard to perfect everything but you gotta give us something, anything!

But we're making such great development progress!

Merry Monkemas:

Planeguy Aerospace Systems, GMBH

Model X "Bouncy Castle III" Inflatable Heat Shield

- A development of the original Planetes Corp. Inflatable product.

Individual part download for testing:

â–º https://www.dropbox.com/s/i7i7vqpktosuxxg/BC-003.zip â—„

* Warranty void if operation by non-monkey technician is attempted.

mkzy.jpg

nhwt.jpg

dbbh.jpg

f2rw.jpg

3zszt.jpg

e38dp.jpg

LICENSE

All media items available for download on this forum thread are copyrighted by their respective original authors and released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 License. You can read the full terms of the license on the Creative Commons webpage here: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/

Edited by YANFRET

Yanfret this mod as some nice solar panels that need some love there some error in the textures that need fix http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/58506-WIP-Terazone-Misc-Parts.

Hmm I think we might pass on those because they look too chunky. :P

In other news:

I'm making a lot of progress now that were done messing with the heat shield. The next release version is looking great. over 50 new textures throughout the pack, and it's 40mb smaller than Alpha 5 even though it has 22 new parts! All of the launch vehicles are redesigned and work much better than they did in Alpha 5. EDIT: There are far fewer instructions required to operation the new version, you don't have to mess around with torque (except when driving monkey rover on the ground!) or "control from here" issues anymore.

The Monkey Launch System with TALUS upper stage, inflatable heat shield and ALCOR Monkey Rover in Duna entry configuration is finished and I just need to test it officially to sign off. The rover descent stage (rocket thing that detaches from the bottom) has been completely redesigned and reduced parts count by 16, mostly by eliminating strut connectors by using a new tank design.

There is a new hab product: the "Monkey Exploration Super Habitat" that is larger and awesomer than anything we've done before, and it has a slick descent stage also using a brand new tank.

Right now I'm trying to decide how many craft files you will get in Alpha 6. I could stop after the Habitat and Rover systems are tested and release it soon, or I could continue development for a little longer and give you more landers and craft files.

EDIT: Also I'm considering dropping all of the Munar systems from Alpha 6 so that I don't have to go back and update the craft files or fix the issues that existed with their most recent design. We could go back and re add the Munar systems in a later update.

Edited by YANFRET

Hmm I think we might pass on those because they look too chunky. :P

In other news:

I'm making a lot of progress now that were done messing with the heat shield. The next release version is looking great. over 50 new textures throughout the pack, and it's 40mb smaller than Alpha 5 even though it has 22 new parts! All of the launch vehicles are redesigned and work much better than they did in Alpha 5.

The Monkey Launch System with TALUS upper stage, inflatable heat shield and ALCOR Monkey Rover in Duna entry configuration is finished and I just need to test it officially to sign off. The rover descent stage (rocket thing that detaches from the bottom) has been completely redesigned and reduced parts count by 16, mostly by eliminating strut connectors by using a new tank design.

There is a new hab product: the "Monkey Exploration Super Habitat" that is larger and awesomer than anything we've done before, and it has a slick descent stage also using a brand new tank.

Right now I'm trying to decide how many craft files you will get in Alpha 6. I could stop after the Habitat and Rover systems are tested and release it soon, or I could continue development for a little longer and give you more landers and craft files.

I mean if they are just craft files you could release alpha 6 and release the craft files as you test them. I mean I get not wanting to release 20 versions of the pack but if they are just craft files release then as you go.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe

Update!

Development of Alpha 6 has moved so quickly and successfully I have been considering going right to Beta 1. I have been suppressing sharing pictures with you guys so that it will be a grand surprise when I have the download ready. It might even be within a week or two. What I'm doing right now is finalizing the Duna lander fuel tank capacities and testing the Duna Ascent Vehicle. Most of the work right now is finalizing the craft files, but often a special need comes up where I have to modify a part for a specific purpose. So far 12 vehicles are ready and signed off, including four versions of the Delta IV based launcher with Orion or cargo, the all new Monkey Launch System wtih Duna "Super Habitat", rover, outpost lander, engineering lander, snacks lander, Duna ascent lander, and the Monkey Transfer Vehicle split into it's three sections. I may even have time to go back and make a new version of the Munar 2x system with updated technologies.

Because I'm gonna ask for testing of so many systems and to keep the focus on that, the next update will likely not include Science, Career Mode Support, or habitat IVAs. However, the Monkey Rover has an all new IVA which Alexustas made for us to accommodate the pod's increased size here.

Is that thing really huge? 'Cause it looks really huge.

Yes it maxes out my pre set Monkey Launch System fairing limits.

Flight Ready Duna Hardware

jzur.jpg

g2gcn.jpg

mfyxx.jpg

The 6.4 Meters Kerbol inflatable heat shield is below the fairing. Spacecraft enter Duna atmosphere with launch fairing and then jettison at the same time as heat shield and retro stage ignition (lower most engine). Spacecraft then use integrated lander engines for touchdown. Duna Ascent Vehicle Separates from lander on ignition.

EDIT: Note use of NTR upper stage for Monkey Exploration Super Habitat. For the release we will probably use that upper stage for the Duna Ascent Vehicle (right) as well. Note redesign of Monkey Launch System.

Edited by YANFRET

Yes it maxes out my pre set Monkey Launch System fairing limits.

Flight Ready Duna Hardware

The 6.4 Meters Kerbol inflatable heat shield is below the fairing. Spacecraft enter Duna atmosphere with launch fairing and then jettison at the same time as heat shield and retro stage ignition (lower most engine). Spacecraft then use integrated lander engines for touchdown. Duna Ascent Vehicle Separates from lander on ignition.

EDIT: Note use of NTR upper stage for Monkey Exploration Super Habitat. For the release we will probably use that upper stage for the Duna Ascent Vehicle (right) as well. Note redesign of Monkey Launch System.

I thought you were gonna use the extended FASA titan SRBs?

That's for the smaller 3.75 meter systems not the SLS size Monkey Launch System.

ahhhhhhh ok! IDK if Im more excited for .24 or your next update. I think by default I have to say .24 but i swear the anticipation is really close.

ahhhhhhh ok! IDK if Im more excited for .24 or your next update. I think by default I have to say .24 but i swear the anticipation is really close.

Would you rather to see 5 segment SSSRB on the Monkey Launch System instead of the stretched KW style solids? Or perhaps an option for both?

What about a white painted Monkey Launch System core (like in the SLS fantasy renderings) ?

Would you rather to see 5 segment SSSRB on the Monkey Launch System instead of the stretched KW style solids? Or perhaps an option for both?

What about a white painted Monkey Launch System core (like in the SLS fantasy renderings) ?

I mean to keep the part count down for the core tanks you can make the textures toggle-able but thats another plugin so its totally up to you. I think the option for both is always ideal however is there a quantifiable difference between them in terms of performance and power? I think I like the aesthetics more of the 5 segment SSSRB than the KW style solids. If you are going for an SLS aesthetic style thing then I would say go with the SSSRB's for the SLS style thing. For the other launchers I say stick with the KW solids. I think the rockets that launch the infrastructure for the mission should look beefy and utilitarian thats what the KW solids offer. The rocket that launches the crew is where the whole world is watching so it should look the nicest and have the cleanest and most appealing lines.

I mean to keep the part count down for the core tanks you can make the textures toggle-able but thats another plugin so its totally up to you. I think the option for both is always ideal however is there a quantifiable difference between them in terms of performance and power? I think I like the aesthetics more of the 5 segment SSSRB than the KW style solids. If you are going for an SLS aesthetic style thing then I would say go with the SSSRB's for the SLS style thing. For the other launchers I say stick with the KW solids. I think the rockets that launch the infrastructure for the mission should look beefy and utilitarian thats what the KW solids offer. The rocket that launches the crew is where the whole world is watching so it should look the nicest and have the cleanest and most appealing lines.

Hey how about this?

k7gm3.jpg

hzru.jpg

y1njq.jpg

Edited by YANFRET

Could you make an adapter so we can mount it on the srbs just like the planned/cancelled version? It's could just be an orbital rocket to dock with space stations and such. Even now I can't believe they even propose that the sls can send orion to the iss. That just seems like over kill.

Could you make an adapter so we can mount it on the srbs just like the planned/cancelled version? It's could just be an orbital rocket to dock with space stations and such. Even now I can't believe they even propose that the sls can send orion to the iss. That just seems like over kill.

I am a firm dis believer in the Aries 1 as a concept and I agree that SLS is overkill for Orion to anywhere because the distance it could send it you would need a hab anyway so that's why I show Orion on the Delta IV system and SLS with cargo most of the time.

Altair Descent Stage is Back!

With all new textures, working gear and snaxx

g2wxl.jpg

qtw7e.jpg

mhqy.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.