Chaka Monkey - Closed Development Thread

YANFRET

Well it looks KW just released a whole bunch of new parts to get Chakaized.

KW Rocketry is the bedrock foundation of the Kerbalverse. The genesis of Chaka Monkey Exploration Systems was the combination of KW's SC-1 LFT with Bobcat's Orion capsule; everything else here flows from that moment. We are very proud of the licensing agreement Chaka has with Kyle and Winston. When we use a KW rocketry part in this pack, we don't edit the textures, because the standard of quality Kyle and Winston adhere to for their pack is the so high it should be appreciated without modification. Chaka recommends spending some time exploring the new KW update and if possible making a donation, because their vision for Kerbal exploration is precise, scientific, and uplifting.

Go KW!!

Edited by YANFRET

KW Rocketry is the bedrock foundation of the Kerbalverse. The genesis of Chaka Monkey Exploration Systems was the combination of KW's SC-1 LFT with Bobcat's Orion capsule; everything else here flows from that moment. We are very proud of the licensing agreement Chaka has with Kyle and Winston. When we use a KW rocketry part in this pack, we don't modify the textures, because the standard of quality Kyle and Winston adhere to for their pack is the so high it should be appreciated without modification. Chaka recommends spending some time exploring the new KW update and if possible making a donation, because their vision for Kerbal exploration is precise, scientific, and uplifting.

Go KW!!

Very well said. I agree wholeheartedly. i have been thoroughly enjoying the latest update thus far. I already made a small base on the mun with the new parts, and if I had the money to give you bet it would be going towards K and W.

I've got a little problem with your mod... I installed it correctly (I think). But now I only got the faring parts, nothing more. And I'm really sure I put them all in? please help me

If your playing career mode you need to make you a CFG like

@PART[*]:HAS[~TechRequired[]]:Final

{

TechRequired = start

}

or where ever you want to put them.

That's brings up an intresting question. With the new career mode will there be Tech Tree integration in the next update?

That's gonna be up to our Senior Vice President in charge of Science and Economics. When the update is ready perhaps we will send it over to the Science and Economics division first and get that done before the public release.

EDIT: However the CFG files will be updated so that at least the parts appear in the tech tree.

Edited by YANFRET

Anything new?

Good morning!

Well LandeTLS and I have finished the SLS Block I Interstage, upper stage and adapter rings finally. There were a few questions about the geometry, we want it to match the product photos and I think we've achieved that. I flew it last night and other than having way to much power, it works great. Maybe we'l add some mass to the upper stage to force balancing. Also with such a light payload, the gimbal settings are to strong compared to the Block II set up. Perhaps we will just add instructions to lock gimbal in Block I mode.

The core stage tank got some new textures with more aggressive normal maps and it looks smart!

Next on the agenda is updating the engine effects to use the new .24 resources and changing some engine sounds. Also since there are several KW engines licensed to us I need to update and integrate those new parts from the KW update.

After that I'm gonna do some CFG cleanup throughout the pack and also add the tags to make every part appear in career mode.

Cheers!

Exciting news! Hope everything falls in place, because Im itching to use all these rockets you've been teasing us with
bump lol really want to try out those upper stages :D

☻ Right now things are quiet because I'm texturing the new DCSS / IUS parts that LandeTLS made for us. There is a version for SLS Block I only and then a slightly larger one that can mount to any 3.75 system.

Core stage texture development sneak peek

fb7895.jpg

55d60d.jpg

Very special thanks to CardBoardBoxProcessor and Normak for licensing to us a variety of normal maps from the Kosmos pack. In this case, we found the normal from one of the Kosmos URM tank assemblies to be really nice and have used it to highlight the interstage areas.

Edited by YANFRET

Is the Core Stage just one fuel tank plus an engine or is it all combined into one part?

This version was originally the Bobcat Ares V core stage and it's a single piece. However, we have made plans in the future with LandeTLS Aerospace Engineering to make a new version which will be more similar to the SLS design and have engines sold separately.

☻ Right now things are quiet because I'm texturing the new DCSS / IUS parts that LandeTLS made for us. There is a version for SLS Block I only and then a slightly larger one that can mount to any 3.75 system.

Core stage texture development sneak peek

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img540/5471/fb7895.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/844/55d60d.jpg

Very special thanks to CardBoardBoxProcessor and Normak for licensing to us a variety of normal maps from the Kosmos pack. In this case, we found the normal from one of the Kosmos URM tank assemblies to be really nice and have used it to highlight the interstage areas.

Will there also be the orange version? I liked the orange version better.

Will there also be the orange version? I liked the orange version better.

Yes of course. Also, each kind is a sub assembly.

Let's change gears for a minute and talk about the 3.75 meter systems...

A lot of refinement has taken place with the Delta IV - inspired launch vehicle. This is what the single core version looks like now:

vZnTJP.jpg

It has just enough power to get Orion into a 200km orbit (using the Orion SM to circularize) because the upper stage uses the single J2-x engine, giving enough kick to leave the atmosphere.

The three core "heavy" version (EFT-1) use our new DCSS / IUS upper stage which has far less power but is lighter and more efficient. Also the three core version uses individual RS-68A's for each core rather than the KW four engine unit seen here.

I know we discussed it but with the current parts you use is it possible to make an Aries style vehicle. I don't personally like it as a concept but I have to admit it loons cool and the one thing Kerbals care about more is style over function. Atleast could you make it possible to create the Aries as an option useing the decoupler, bobcat has in the American pack? Or make a liquid version of the Aries? Like use the SRB casing except liquid fueled and throttlable?

The real reason not to update Bobcat's Ares I system is that it conflicts with our Chaka Monkey mission statement, which requires Monkey systems be realistic depictions of future spacecraft which could plausibly be put into service based on NASA and Boeing engineering. Pretty or not, the Ares I is fundamentally flawed and I can't see including it here because it doesn't have a future.

The real reason not to update Bobcat's Ares I system is that it conflicts with our Chaka Monkey mission statement, which requires Monkey systems be realistic depictions of future spacecraft which could plausibly be put into service based on NASA and Boeing engineering. Pretty or not, the Ares I is fundamentally flawed and I can't see including it here because it doesn't have a future.

With all do respect it seems that the planned Chaka missions takes somewhat from the late 90's and early 2000's plans for the mars and moon and moon missions. So what would be a way of getting the Orion into orbit that doesn't seem like a waste is the issue. The Delta Heavy and SlS systems are just too enormous for rendezvous in LEO. So the only solution is to rendezvous at the destination. For example rendezvous around Duna or the Mun instead of in Kerbin orbit. Then you could use a full SLS and Delta Heavy to their maximum potential whilst making it more challenging and fun for the user. Also that means making the lander and hab launchers bigger and moar powerful! If that's not the case then how would/could you make the Aries better? Didn't the finally settle on an Atlas V for the CST 100? And wasn't the chive between delta, atlas, and even the Falcon 9? Isn't LazTek a contractor for Chaka?

Edited by sp1989

Actually it's based on DRO 5.0 with inflatable heat shields instead of aero shell fairings and solid habitats instead of inflatable ones.

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/373665main_NASA-SP-2009-566.pdf

Getting Orion into LEO with the smallest rocket possible is useful for a variety of reasons, primarily the Block II payloads are assembled in LEO. Of course SpaceX or Boeing could accomplish the task, but I think it's fun to have a LEO version of Orion come with this pack.

My point is the Delta IV inspired vehicle above to me is far better than a future Ares 1 reincarnation. Yeah?

Actually it's based on DRO 5.0 with inflatable heat shields instead of aero shell fairings and solid habitats instead of inflatable ones.

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/373665main_NASA-SP-2009-566.pdf

Getting Orion into LEO with the smallest rocket possible is useful for a variety of reasons, primarily the Block II payloads are assembled in LEO. Of course SpaceX or Boeing could accomplish the task, but I think it's fun to have a LEO version of Orion come with this pack.

My point is the Delta IV inspired vehicle above to me is far better than a future Ares 1 reincarnation. Yeah?

Absolutely! We agree completely about the feasibility of Aries. I was asking if you could include the decoupler for the daring and also put in my 15 cents about how to get the orion into orbit realistically.

Also if I can stroke your ego just a tad bit more, knowing that this and Konquest are coming out the game has been nearly unplayable for me. I have been playing around with MKS and other habitat/colonization mods and they just don't fit what I am looking for. KW update has helped keep me interested but besides KW and a few plugins, Chaka and Aset are basically all I need. So this is my round about way of saying HURRY UP! :wink:

Edited by sp1989

Yeah and I really want to make a download so you can fly this single core system because it would explain a lot. The concept is an off the shelf Delta IV medium with slightly improved dry weight performance and a RD-170 class main engine (shown here as the KW Griffon). If a J2-X engine is used for the upper stage, then you don't need three CBC cores to get Orion to orbit, assuming the Orion service module is optimized for LEO operations along the lines of the Shuttle OMS constraints.

I think it would be cheap and reliable, with the upside that your LEO assembled Monkey Transfer Vehicle or other Block II payload could carry the fresh Orion capsule around wherever it needs to go.

EDIT: (re: release date) your patience will make the final result all the more rewarding :) Think of these pictures as magazines on the coffee table of the Monkey doctor waiting room

Edited by YANFRET

With all do respect it seems that the planned Chaka missions takes somewhat from the late 90's and early 2000's plans for the mars and moon and moon missions. So what would be a way of getting the Orion into orbit that doesn't seem like a waste is the issue. The Delta Heavy and SlS systems are just too enormous for rendezvous in LEO. So the only solution is to rendezvous at the destination. For example rendezvous around Duna or the Mun instead of in Kerbin orbit. Then you could use a full SLS and Delta Heavy to their maximum potential whilst making it more challenging and fun for the user. Also that means makingAries

I'm sorry, but it's ticking me off that you spell it "Aries" instead of "Ares". Just had to put this down here. Ignore it if you want to.

â–² Let's do our best to overlook spelling mistakes when someone has a question or idea to share. When MeCripp posts for example, sometimes it takes me 20 minutes to understand what he wrote, and yet his contributions are always very helpful.

I'm sorry, but it's ticking me off that you spell it "Aries" instead of "Ares". Just had to put this down here. Ignore it if you want to.

To be honest I am constantly going back a forth over the spelling each time I type it. Sometimes its Ares others its Aries. They both have to do with space......kinda. Aries is the astrological sign for Ram and Ares is a son of Zeus and god of War. I understand why the spelling difference might perplex you, one is astrological hokum, that people try to ascertain knowledge about their future, and one is the mighty god of war. However 9/10 out of I am posting on these forums from my phone and it autocorrects and the other times I spell it wrong its just because I am to lazy to fix it. Long story short, from now on, I will make a concerted and cognizant effort to spell Ares properly when referring to the defunct Ares launch vehicles, to ensure that your viewing pleasure is not impeded in anyway. Thank You.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.