Chaka Monkey - Closed Development Thread

YANFRET

I believe some of the pack already is scaled to the 8.4m Ares/SLS standard so that's part of the work already done.

So... everything Chaka is strictly 75% scale, you'l find that true of the Delta IV - like systems, Orion, and the SLS size products. Making them 100% would mean not being able to assemble a Block II SLS rocket in the VAB. 75% is not only a convenient measure from the 5 meter Orion capsule to be 3.75 meters Kerbol, but it's also the correct maximum vehicle height in the kerbal VAB relative to the real one.

Picture Treats!

l8dR5e.jpg

Gxs7ZI.jpg

I do need to say one thing further about Chaka in the "realism" world... Kerbal "liquid fuel" is most certainly more like RP-1 than H2/LOX ... but even then not quite. However, Chaka rockets are depicted almost exclusively as H2/LOX systems yet... use a fairly standard Kerbal fuel setup. I have chosen for now to overlook this detail to make developing new rockets less complicated, however I think if one is going to go through all the trouble to use "real" anything, one should also be compelled to do so with the fuels.

Edited by YANFRET

What if Chaka had it's own fuel ? something like this https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/CMES_Fuel_Testing.zip File will change all parts and fuel and the boosters fuel, I changed alittle but the mixed fuel, I was no good at so there still stock alike might be better to drop the mix and just make 1 fuel. :)

EDIT- Save craft made before will still show and have both fuels but you can empty them in VAB.

Edited by Mecripp2

Do you play with RealFuel Yanfret?

Maybe later, I have to avoid interesting distractions

What if Chaka had it's own fuel ? something like this https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/CMES_Fuel_Testing.zip File will change all parts and fuel and the boosters fuel, I changed alittle but the mixed fuel, I was no good at so there still stock alike might be better to drop the mix and just make 1 fuel. :)

EDIT- Save craft made before will still show and have both fuels but you can empty them in VAB.

If anything I'd like to (not now) move to H2/LOX ratios

Is that supposed to go on top of an Atlas type rocket?

MTF10-0014-05.jpg

hahaha no lol I guess I never really examined the upperstage of the SLS like that. Now that I look at the them I can't unsee it. I always just assumed it was smooth and the same size all the way down to the interstage. Seriously I can't find a picture where it looks like I think of it.

hahaha no lol I guess I never really examined the upperstage of the SLS like that. Now that I look at the them I can't unsee it. I always just assumed it was smooth and the same size all the way down to the interstage. Seriously I can't find a picture where it looks like I think of it.

Yeah, technically the upper stage Yanfret is using for his Orion is the Delta IV Heavy upper stage (5m diameter in real life, DCSS), but it's being adapted as an interim first stage for the SLS and Orion.

Atlas, the one you pictured with the CST-100 (which is not Orion), use the Centaur upper stage, which has a totally different structure than the DCSS.

Yeah, technically the upper stage Yanfret is using for his Orion is the Delta IV Heavy upper stage (5m diameter in real life, DCSS), but it's being adapted as an interim first stage for the SLS and Orion.

Atlas, the one you pictured with the CST-100 (which is not Orion), use the Centaur upper stage, which has a totally different structure than the DCSS.

No I definitely knew the was the CST-100. I got confused because maybe a page or two back we were discussing an efficent way of getting the Orion into LKO with out useing the Ares 1 SRB design. And the idea of Falcon 9, Delta, and Atlas were mentioned so I thought he was making an Atlas type upper stage.

Edit: See page 70

Edited by sp1989

In the early SLS block I renderings, the art department at JSC was rendering the upper stage fairings straight up and down. You can still find lots of graphics which show it that way. Then they were told that because the Orion capsule itself is 5 meters |<->| and the service module adapter, LES, and SM fairings are like 5.3 meters so they can fit around it. That's where you get the signature ring around the base of the capsule when shown on its service module.

Then to explain further, in the wind tunnel and in crush tests, it was found that the in+out kink in the fairings is more rigid and/or lighter than a direct fairing between the SM and the 5 meter upper.

It is, and the lower tank config is different as well. This is not a DCSS replica. I wanted landeTLS to have some artistic freedom with the model and what you see was his inspirarion.

Future updates to this upper stage will adress the grometry of the lower tank

Actually, in my other 3.75 upper stage... The one using the Aerojet Kerbodyne tank, we are flying it with a J2-X... So

Blackheart arent you working on an RL-10 inspired engine for your next update? Maybe that would look nice.

Edited by YANFRET

It is, and the lower tank config is different as well. This is not a DCSS replica. I wanted landeTLS to have some artistic freedom with the model and what you see was his inspirarion.

Future updates to this upper stage will adress the grometry of the lower tank

Actually, in my other 3.75 upper stage... The one using the Aerojet Kerbodyne tank, we are flying it with a J2-X... So

Blackheart arent you working on an RL-10 inspired engine for your next update? Maybe that would look nice.

Truth, a little bit more accurate than the previous version. Not sure if it actually looks good but of course I did so I think it does for me.

I'll post it here so no need to go to my thread:

ND26Xps.png

G25jjrt.pngsmwdziy.png

I did, I planned it as an option.... I was lazy to do. Should I now? ._. I'll use it as monoprop storage LOL. Anyway, what day is it already? I think I'll just send you the new models soon.

Hehe I think it's saturday morning. I do think they would add something. Hey, I was thinking about reducing the height of the x brace, sinching it up a little, what do you think?

Truss is original height actually, I added a little bit more height with the node placement so the ends of the truss actually meet the tanks, you can edit the config if you want, just a little bit off. I made sure it was accurate. I'll give it to you after... 8-10 hours. I need some rest. I hope you don't miss your sched because of me.

hMKdZX9.png

Truss is original height actually, I added a little bit more height with the node placement so the ends of the truss actually meet the tanks, you can edit the config if you want, just a little bit off. I made sure it was accurate. I'll give it to you after... 8-10 hours. I need some rest. I hope you don't miss your sched because of me.

http://i.imgur.com/hMKdZX9.png

No problem at all, it really is an impressive part and well worth any minor adjustments to the schedule.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.