Chaka Monkey - Closed Development Thread

YANFRET

Chaka Orion Lite TM has been updated and added to the first page https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbd5wyw7l71mrhg/COL-271.zip?dl=0

Looks great! Can I make a recommendation that a day be spent of going through the entire pack making the folder structure and naming more visually apealing? I love this pack but can't use all of it with my current install so I like to pick and pull, however, sometimes it's really hard to tell what parts are what without opening the part.cfg file for each :) if you could rename the folders to accurately tell what each part is in the install (also remembering to fix any errors for model locations in the cfg as a result) that would be amazing!

Forgive me if im missing something, but is the Altair lander still a WIP? I cant get the legs to go down on the lander, nor can kerbals EVA from the POD itself - apologies if this has been discussed before, Im new to this mod and can't really face sifting through 140+ pages of posts.

Works for me, are you using the actual gear action group? (I mean pressing G)

Clicking lower on the lander part itself dosent work for me either.

I hadnt tried that, no, will try later. Any thoughts on where the crew hatch is supposed to be on the altair pod?

I hadnt tried that, no, will try later. Any thoughts on where the crew hatch is supposed to be on the altair pod?

It's around back where the white caution stripes are.

RE: Bobcat Altair Lander, yeah click it and hit G. Instructions should be written on the side of it really, hmmm

RE: Bobcat Altair Lander, yeah click it and hit G. Instructions should be written on the side of it really, hmmm

Thanks Ill check it out. Any idea why clicking on the lower command in the menu doesnt work?

Thanks Ill check it out. Any idea why clicking on the lower command in the menu doesnt work?

Yeah it's dependent on a Bobcat DLL that was never updated which stopped working several KSP versions ago and we all became so accustomed to using G that we have not put any time into recompiling it or re making the model.

Ok so when I click on the EVA button on the bottom right of the screen it works, the kerbal appears and I can EVA, however the hatch itself doesn't respond to being clicked on like the stock hatches do - which is what I was trying to do to transfer kerbals mid flight without EVA (the new feature of 0.25) - is this also a bug created by the out of date DLL from Bobcat?

Ok so when I click on the EVA button on the bottom right of the screen it works, the kerbal appears and I can EVA, however the hatch itself doesn't respond to being clicked on like the stock hatches do - which is what I was trying to do to transfer kerbals mid flight without EVA (the new feature of 0.25) - is this also a bug created by the out of date DLL from Bobcat?

No different issue let us get back to you on that

Edited by YANFRET

Been using this since you released the first one.. Great work.. I don't log on enough to comment much(although I read the forums daily).. So, if that says anything, it was worth logging on to express my sincere appreciation for this beautiful assembly of parts that look so wonderful together..

Quick question.. Is this reliant on any parts from the Squad folder or can I just delete that entire thing?

I'd like to have my Gamedata folder as slim as possible in order to run this smoothly.. Using it with EVE and HotRockets..

Edited by Anodizer

Been using this since you released the first one.. Great work.. I don't log on enough to comment much(although I read the forums daily).. So, if that says anything, it was worth logging on to express my sincere appreciation for this beautiful assembly of parts that look so wonderful together..

Quick question.. Is this reliant on any parts from the Squad folder or can I just delete that entire thing?

I'd like to have my Gamedata folder as slim as possible in order to run this smoothly.. Using it with EVE and HotRockets..

Hey it's really cool you're enjoying this.

That's a great question. There are five squad parts it requires and I will have to get you that list later this week

Edited by YANFRET

I definitely lean to realism when I play KSP, and this mod puts realism into overload! Thank you! Any plans on bringing an RL-10-C engine into the mix since NASA has scuttled the J2-X for the Block IB SLS EUS? An RL-10B would also be correct for the Delta Cryogenic Upper Stage.

I love this mod pack and have been picking and pulling specific parts from it to integrate into my existing saves :)

I've been doing things like renaming parts for my liking and giving them mod compatibility (like real fuels), but I have some questions:

1. What is the (as close to the exact number as you can get it) diameter of the SLS core stages and other large parts? I know they're 8m or so but I wanna resize them for myself to 5m for my game and need to know exactly so I can do proportions with the scales

2. The EMLV (Delta IV) nosecones have always looked, well, weird with their lighting. It has strange shadows and looks funny, no matter what I try (different file types, adjusting normal map), does anyone else have this?

I definitely lean to realism when I play KSP, and this mod puts realism into overload! Thank you! Any plans on bringing an RL-10-C engine into the mix since NASA has scuttled the J2-X for the Block IB SLS EUS? An RL-10B would also be correct for the Delta Cryogenic Upper Stage.

To me this pack seems to be an attempt at a recreation of the Constellation program. If he were going for the SLS/Orion Program that is active now he'd have to move from the nuclear engines to solar electric propulsion, among a myriad of other changes. If he's still working on a Constellation parallel I see no point in going for the RL-10-C's. (Constellation was a better idea anyway, IMHO.)

To me this pack seems to be an attempt at a recreation of the Constellation program. If he were going for the SLS/Orion Program that is active now he'd have to move from the nuclear engines to solar electric propulsion, among a myriad of other changes. If he's still working on a Constellation parallel I see no point in going for the RL-10-C's. (Constellation was a better idea anyway, IMHO.)

It is a composite of the brightest ideas from Constellation+ as well as the current programs, much the same way it's a composite of the best models from the contributing authors. We do not support the Ares I concept nor bomber bay style drop tank truss assembles, nor 10 meter core stages or ablative aero shells (bad idea).

If you took a few steps back from the real program and looked at it from a long term view, we believe one possible conclusion is that this depiction is the most practical set of mission profiles (except for certain KSP related compromises).

J2-X is on the back shelf right now IRL because we don't need it until it's time to go to mars. We spent a lot of money on it and the development is pretty much finished, but it's purpose is to put very heavy things into very low orbits... Something we won't ask for funding on until it's time to make the MTV. Also I really like the engine.

In Chaka, the J2-X is used for MTV construction but also the EMLV II vehicle to bridge the performance gap between Ares I and a delta IV single core. By adding 8 GEMs and using the J2-X in place if the RL-10 on the delta 5 meter cryogenic upper, you get proper low orbit performance for the Orion system without the overkill of 3 cores or the danger and money waste of Ares I.

SEP presents certain gameplay challenges. The only other option is NTR and it's kinda cool so we chose that way.

It's very true, DRA 5.0 (which people sometimes mistake for "Constellation") is a major influence on this pack, however we consider this to be more forward thinking, for example inflatable heat shields and up to date lander configurations.

Hey! Just letting you know, NP_interstage_1_25m_2_5m_tank is missing TechRequired in its part.cfg Have a great day!

Raaa thank you for pointing that out! Good helping.

EDIT: Here's a super cool slide from DRA 5.0 just for fun

mULyhC.jpg

EDIT: Oh and we will absolutely include an RL-10-C in the future. I want to really make a meal out of it and not shy away from any details. For now, the KOCMOC RD-480 is our stand in product for this class.

Edited by YANFRET

Been watching and no one have said but when you launch the station core after you decouple the lower main launcher and just have the upper stage the center view is way off.

EDIT- There no error in the log and after reaching orbit won't let go anywhere says, I'm throttle up.

Been watching and no one have said but when you launch the station core after you decouple the lower main launcher and just have the upper stage the center view is way off.

EDIT- There no error in the log and after reaching orbit won't let go anywhere says, I'm throttle up.

Uh oh! I will check it out

I do love this mod and I think you did an amazing job. Have a question though.

Any reason You get massive fuel tanks and engines so early in the tech tree? With the way the new career mode is, it seems like its just not balanced anymore with them. Most of the parts are unusable for a long while until you upgrade your launchpad and VAB.

Not to rude but thats the whole problem with the stock tech tree, Look were launch rockets before you get most of your plane parts in some of them are at the end and then it's always someone isn't going to like where something is but really it's not that hard to move it where you like.

EDIT- Stock did a bad bad job at the whole tech thing.

Edited by Mecripp2

Any reason You get massive fuel tanks and engines so early in the tech tree? With the way the new career mode is, it seems like its just not balanced anymore with them. Most of the parts are unusable for a long while until you upgrade your launchpad and VAB.

Yeah, so, you will find the reason for this is the mass of the Chaka parts, in general, are much higher than that of the stock parts. Therefore, in order to get those larger mass parts up there, the engine power has been scaled up as well.

If you are aiming for realism then you will want to use only Chaka parts with Chaka parts, and stock parts with stock parts for this reason.

-- The following is nothing more than a story that I thought was awesome to share --

Chain contracts to Jool using the MTV, Orion, Snacks modified, and Taurus HTV, 4000 Science, 1000 rep, Millions in Funds

Explore Jool

Put a satellite in Pol orbit

Land on Pol and take a seismic survey at specified site

Explore Bop

Land an outpost on Bop supporting 11 Kerbals

*Bonus* Return to Kerbin

Assembled MTV. Put the Taurus Pod w/ Science module as forward payload instead of NOS lander (for hitting the 11 kerbal requirement only).

Dock Orion to side of MTV (added landing legs to side of Orion). Dock a Snacks that was modified with a tiny satellite / lander as forward payload to other side of MTV. Transit to Jool. Transmit eva / crew report. Send Snacks to Pol and achieve orbit. Send lander down and take seismic reading. Launch back and transit to Bop. Rearrange MTV fuel tanks (dump empty). Transit MTV to Bop. Transmit eva / crew report. Land Orion and Taurus. Samples / science. Launch / re-dock Orion to MTV. Rendezvous satellite lander and take it's data readings. Refuel Orion full from MTV. Transit to Kerbin. When out of fuel, undock Orion and finish journey to Kerbin! ++++science / ++++moneys / ++++reps / ++++zomg / ++++chaka monkeys

The MTV becomes debris in Space... The Taurus w/ science module is sort of cheating since it isn't Chaka spec but it was to hit the 11 kerbal mark with a mass that could make this journey happen.... but it was pretty fricken awesome to do all those contracts at once!

Edited by pw4x3r

I'm really glad you brought this up. The tech tree order has been a sort of smash n grab job so far.

Would you be willing to make a list of parts that you find to be out of place, and a suggested level, cost etc for them to be moved to? I would appreciate input on this subject from an informed career mode player.

I'm very disappointed in not finding this mod sooner. Great job.

I was reading back a few pages and noticed the comment about making a PDF instruction for this. Did that ever happen, and if so where can I get it from?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.