Chaka Monkey - Closed Development Thread

YANFRET

Have you considered approaching Nertea about including anything from his Near Future Propulsion pack?

I understand that VASIMRs are potential candidates for propulsion on a Mars mission

My opinion based on everything I could find to read on the subject is that some day VASIMR engines will make travel to mars more efficient, but the first human flights will probably take place before a large enough VASIMR system exists to be of any utility at that scale. Also in the absence of a more current baseline I'm tying to stay within at least arms reach of NASA/SP-2009-566-ADD http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/373667main_NASA-SP-2009-566-ADD.pdf with the exception of the goofy aeroshell heat shields which I think look dated considering the various successes with inflatable heat shields which have taken place over the last few years.

Also re the baseline above I'm not completley sold on drop tanks with heavy strucutral elements vs traditional staging... but that is a complicated issue.

Edited by YANFRET

My opinion based on everything I could find to read on the subject is that some day VASIMR engines will make travel to mars more efficient, but the first human flights will probably take place before a large enough VASIMR system exists to be of any utility at that scale. Also in the absence of a more current baseline I'm tying to stay within at least arms reach of NASA/SP-2009-566-ADD http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/373667main_NASA-SP-2009-566-ADD.pdf with the exception of the goofy aeroshell heat shields which I think look dated considering the various successes with inflatable heat shields which have taken place over the last few years.

Also re the baseline above I'm not completley sold on drop tanks with heavy strucutral elements vs traditional staging... but that is a complicated issue.

Darn, stuff like this image makes it seem like we're closer than that:

NK_Mission2Mars_2048.jpg

Darn, stuff like this image makes it seem like we're closer than that:

http://payload.cargocollective.com/1/1/34851/761573/NK_Mission2Mars_2048.jpg

I dunno to me that looks like something from an Estes model rocket kit.

Hey while we're on the subject of wasting electricity with mars vehicle concept art I think this one looks really sweet http://api.ning.com/files/zF7GvY4aXOIhnFRISj1wS7ulG3EPg*SE4mjb7iPgWV3C-gOOBTBaVbUST8oEPpG9hW*pNF2B482MKvZI1GmBYbc2X-6rucQK/USSR_Mars_ship.jpg - almost kerbal! Those windows and hand rails... are those stock?? = 0

Edited by YANFRET

White MTV tank option

I think this is better don't you?

u32j.jpg

dpvj.jpg

22yw.jpg

Later we can add more detail or something. Maybe wires or... omg what if it had little ladder rails going around them like in the soviet MTV concept image above? hmmm.........

Detail option 1:

8bjq.jpg

4nhn.jpg

Edited by YANFRET

I'm curious. Who else has given an OK for releasing these parts? Have you implemented any custom IVAs? Are you using the Rasterprop glass cockpit mod if you have done IVAs? This looks good, and will work well with pretty much any of the aforementioned mods, and Kethane if you make your own models. Also, are you planning any smaller rovers or utility truggies?

I'm curious. Who else has given an OK for releasing these parts? Have you implemented any custom IVAs? Are you using the Rasterprop glass cockpit mod if you have done IVAs? This looks good, and will work well with pretty much any of the aforementioned mods, and Kethane if you make your own models. Also, are you planning any smaller rovers or utility truggies?

What makes you curious?

My curiosity stems from wondering if your interiors are as well executed as the textures and remodels of these parts.

Oh I wouldn't know where to begin with an interior. These guys in the ALCOR thread do, WOW! Fancy stuff goin on over there.

You are correct.

I don't think you answered his question, he said 2 things and asked which one of them it was.

In response to Driftwood, this is a collection of parts from various mods that have been tweaked and retextured to fit together from a gameplay and visual standpoint. They will be released in one pack if permission can be obtained from the various mod creators.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.