Chaka Monkey - Closed Development Thread

YANFRET

You can reference models with MODEL nodes, and even override their textures.

MODEL
{
model = /path/to/modelfile/from/rootofGameData/modelname_without_extension
position = x, y, z // offset from 0,0,0
scale = Sx, Sy, Sz // scale, and yes non-uniform values are permitted
rotation = degrees_around_x, y, z
texture = orig_texture_name_without_extension, path/to/new/texture_without_extension
texture = orig_texture_name_without_extension2, path/to/new/texture_without_extension2
//etc
}

NOTE: when you use scale inside MODEL, you need to set the scale outside the node and the rescaleFactor both = 1 (rather than the usual 1.0 and 1.25, or 0.01 and 1.25, or whatever). Then manually set all the nodes and offsets correctly.

Like if:

originally the part.cfg had mesh=blah, scale = 0.01, rescaleFactor = 1.25 (note, if scale is not specified, it defaults to 1, but if rescaleFactor is not specified it defaults to 1.25!)

then you want a part that's 2x as large as it appeared, you do

MODEL
{
//blah
scale = 2.5, 2.5, 2.5
}
scale = 1.0
rescaleFactor = 1.0

Now you modify the nodes, fxOffsets, anything else, to account for (1) going to 1.0 and 1.0 for scale and rescaleFactor, and (2) rescaling the model itself. Positions will be scaled as follows: original number * 0.01 * 0.8 * 2.5 (aka 0.01 for the change in scale, 1 / 1.25 for the change in rescaleFactor, and 2.5 for the scaling of the model). So do this for the first three numbers for each attach node, for fx offsets, for whatever.

If you rescale non-uniformly, then apply correct number for each axis.

regarding NPOT textures: Unity really doesn't like them. In addition to visual and performance issues, it will also rescale them and treat them in memory as next power of two, so your 1026x1026 textures will be stored in memory as 2048x2048. Which, as you can imagine, is bad news.

Solid. Thank you very much

Ummmm... Yes you are correct I can confirm that finding.

What do youy mean by "go nuts"? Frame rate or image quality, I hadn't noticed because it works good on this system but you are correct about the size being wrong.

When you zoom out and the Lod kicks in the textures get glossed over and corrupted. they shift positions too. But as i said scaling to 1024 completly fixes the issue.

Its probably caused by the texture compressor plugin as it compresses the mipmaps.

Anyhow i really love the work you put into the textures. They really are some of the best looking you can get for the game atm. Maybe the only texture i dont like so much is the orange tanks(a little too plain). Cant wait for more releases. Keep up the good work

When you zoom out and the Lod kicks in the textures get glossed over and corrupted. they shift positions too. But as i said scaling to 1024 completly fixes the issue.

Its probably caused by the texture compressor plugin as it compresses the mipmaps.

Anyhow i really love the work you put into the textures. They really are some of the best looking you can get for the game atm. Maybe the only texture i dont like so much is the orange tanks(a little too plain). Cant wait for more releases. Keep up the good work

Thanks again for bringing that to my attention as you said it's an easy fix. I hope other people testing bits of this as we go along have as keen an eye to look out for potential issues.

Ahh the orange tanks. Yeah, they are a stand-in at the moment. In fact just now I got great news from one of our development partners on that and we should have exciting news soon regarding the Large Upper Stage system which is where you see those orange tanks now.

Actually I was tired of the orange there anyway and the plan is to replace that texture entirely with something similar to what you see in the first picture of the MTV on page 1... for uses of that tank other than in the Large Upper Stage.

Regards

Thanks again for bringing that to my attention as you said it's an easy fix. I hope other people testing bits of this as we go along have as keen an eye to look out for potential issues.

Ahh the orange tanks. Yeah, they are a stand-in at the moment. In fact just now I got great news from one of our development partners on that and we should have exciting news soon regarding the Large Upper Stage system which is where you see those orange tanks now.

Actually I was tired of the orange there anyway and the plan is to replace that texture entirely with something similar to what you see in the first picture of the MTV on page 1... for uses of that tank other than in the Large Upper Stage.

Regards

Actually i had a look again. the long orange tanks look really nice. But the shorter ones are the ones that look a little off

Cant wait to test out more textures

Edited by landeTLS

Actually i had a look again. the long orange tanks look really nice. But the shorter ones are the ones that look a little off

Cant wait to test out more textures

Oh I guess you mean that the texture on Bobcat's Ares core stage is the nice one, yes that got a lot of attention and I'm really pleased with it. The inter-tank textures on that are from the Cepheus - Component Space Shuttle external tank. We need to make contact with him about that.

Right now the next project is a big update for that part but I hesitate to say more yet.

Large Upper Stage Texture Experiment

* this is a replacement for the orange tank we talked about above

The vertical structure texture on the tank is derived from the Cardboardboxprocessor's KOSMOS procedural fairing texture so that it matches with the fairing well.

gkyw.jpg

zs7n.jpg

g0a7.jpg

u7ek.jpg

7kpz.jpg

lu7a.jpg

c9kq.jpg

2qjj.jpg

5ssq.jpg

dy1b.jpg

Edited by YANFRET

Thats just excellent:D

By the way we are contracting with Talisar Aerospace to help build a single piece Large Upper Stage with CFRP X brace intertank to replace that system and this texture work is in prep for that. Oooooh goodey gumdrops

Edited by YANFRET

Cardboard just contacted me about this pack idea and we're in agreement to give you permission to use our materials in your pack. Sorry about my non-responsiveness, I haven't logged into this website since early Autumn of last year.

Cardboard just contacted me about this pack idea and we're in agreement to give you permission to use our materials in your pack. Sorry about my non-responsiveness, I haven't logged into this website since early Autumn of last year.

☻Thank you very much!

Continuing to improve the Bobcat first stage. I think to go any further with it a new model would be required.

tjcr.jpg

58sl.jpg

That said I think we can do alot with the engine textures so I'l look at that tomorrow.

Before you ask I cant do anything about the texture on the raised umbilical because the texture assignment is shared with another part of the tank... so that would be a new model to fix. Unless we reverse engineered it, he did give permission after all.

On reconsideration we may play with black tops to the outer engine pods inverse of the colours on the center body.

Edited by YANFRET

My 2 cents? The models are excellent and texture work is all that should be required. Completely new models that add to the current repertoire of parts would be awesome, though.

Yes we are totally splitting hairs down here I need to focus on another part.

All applications which include the tongue sticking out kerbal will be rubber stamped by Chaka.

I volunteer as tester :P

EDIT: Oh, and whhen this parts pack is released properly, I'll probably end up splitting it up for my own use, as I probably won't have enough RAM for it, at least not considering the other mods I have right now.

Looks awesome love the beamer :sticktongue:

Hey thanks! I was just about to get into it's Sunday hand wash because... oh the rovers! Yes! Those are tons of fun. The one with the ALCOR module would be the M-Sport I guess = 0

Edited by YANFRET

Pretty. Me like.

☻

Bobcat Lower Stage Update

lfqz.jpg

Engine textures are from a photo of an SSME in storage at Rocketdyne. Not quite done with that but it's good enough for now. I need to get rid of the bump map part that makes the little triangle on the corner of the engine pod.

I saw a thread the other day were they are working on new engine FX that looked pretty sweet. It seems like they have some work to do and it's not clear to me how much of what they are doing can be implemented on an individual part without messing up the stock items, but I think it would be really interesting to get involved with that at some point.

Here's some audio inspiration to go with the picture http://youtu.be/5DLxmXItY6E?t=15s

Edited by YANFRET

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.