Chaka Monkey - Closed Development Thread

YANFRET

ATM is unpredictable. I gave up on it.

Best to run separate slimmed-down instances of KSP each with just one major mod and a few smaller essentilal utilities, I've found.

Same here found my computer was working harder with it then it does with out it but then, I'm on Linux and ATM just made it work harder.

Same here found my computer was working harder with it then it does with out it but then, I'm on Linux and ATM just made it work harder.

I feel you 100% on the performance aspect... The only reason I have been relying on it is due to the large amount of mods I roll with. I can run what I want at about 2.8GB without active texture... which means that after I do something in orbit the game crashes on the way back to the VAB. LoL.

I found out why none of the crafts are working in 0.25.9: the part XstrutConnectorMediumX is missing from the install.

EDIT: Scratch that. For some reason, the part isn't loading for me, even though it's in the GameData folder and all. I'll try to replace it with an older version of the same part.

EDIT2: The struts are apparntly very sensitive and will not be loaded if the format of the texture file is changed (I converted it to .dds). Everything is working just fine.

Edited by wasmic

Did that to me in the update before this and it was a mis-named file.

EDIT- @wasmic in you have JSI try this just looked in the new update and he didn't put it in and see if that fixed it. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64993-Chaka-Monkey-Exploration-Odyssey-0-25-9?p=1530825&viewfull=1#post1530825

EDIT- Sorry just seen my file was bad fixed now.

Edited by Mecripp2

I found out why none of the crafts are working in 0.25.9: the part XstrutConnectorMediumX is missing from the install.

EDIT: Scratch that. For some reason, the part isn't loading for me, even though it's in the GameData folder and all. I'll try to replace it with an older version of the same part.

EDIT2: The struts are apparntly very sensitive and will not be loaded if the format of the texture file is changed (I converted it to .dds). Everything is working just fine.

^ With this method, can active texture management be used ?

That's exactly the kind of testing I'm looking for, good work. I will convert the strut textures to PNG and do an update tonight.

Thanks to Yanfret and the other testers. Im loving this release already, and I've just been poking my nose into the craft files so far!

That makes me happy. First person with a screenshot of the Monkey Transfer Vehicle in low Duna orbit gets three cookies.

That makes me happy. First person with a screenshot of the Monkey Transfer Vehicle in low Duna orbit gets three cookies.

LOL dude not cool.... I did this yesterday in between all the updates....

Edit-

Oh and I must say, the thing made the trip fantastically, and fuel was perfect there and back. However, docking those heavy things was a nightmare of a process.. and then undocking and redocking i kind of wanted destroy the ship to get it over with, lol.

I just plan on adding verniers to them.

Edited by pw4x3r

LOL dude not cool.... I did this yesterday in between all the updates....

Edit-

Oh and I must say, the thing made the trip fantastically, and fuel was perfect there and back. However, docking those heavy things was a nightmare of a process.. and then undocking and redocking i kind of wanted destroy the ship to get it over with, lol.

I just plan on adding verniers to them.

Well you can have the cookies on the honor system

EDIT: Hey, what if we just increase the R1 Linear RCS Port power to 10?

Edited by YANFRET

I think that would definitely do it. I just tried docking one with the vernors (at 12) and it was much better

Done. Yes this is way better. With the existing radial thrusters at 10 power they go together easier than a pair of Gemini

yq9TWN.jpg

The EMLV III - Station Core is unable to get into orbit for me. I have stock aerodynamics and no other mods that would affect it's performance. It seems the second stage TWR is to low and it only achieves suborbital velocities.

This is correct, sorry about that. AJLSpace85 helped me realize that with a related question. It's because I increased dockport mass after making the craft. I have reduced the Orb mass by 5 and the Karmony node by 10 to account for it, and we'l pick that up in the next update shortly.

Wow did you send it with the docked craft? Well done. That's three (3) cookies plus an extra napkin for managing it in such a feat.

Also on the EMLV III station core, even though we have the mass fixed on that, it got me thinking, there is another option to send it much higher:

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/8219/W1Zv7u.jpg

Thats one way to do it!

Hehe, yeah. So about after the burn towards Duna, but before the final retro burn, I transferred all but about 10-15% of the fuel / oxidizer from both the orion and the snacks. After orbit, snacks goes bye bye. Then, the lander goes down. Then another lander already on Duna, as well as the lander we brought come back, rendezvous. (This helps balance weight a bit on the return trip). Then we just take the Orion back down into Kerbin when we return :}

Wow did you send it with the docked craft? Well done. That's three (3) cookies plus an extra napkin for managing it in such a feat.

I'm actually really curious if those support craft came with you to Duna too. Reveal your secrets, friend!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.