Chaka Monkey - Closed Development Thread

YANFRET

Congratulations on your successful certification flights of the SLS Block- I Orion and the MLS with Munar 2X Rover payload. We're eagerly awaiting delivery after your final approval, Good Sirs.

Congratulations on your successful certification flights of the SLS Block- I Orion and the MLS with Munar 2X Rover payload. We're eagerly awaiting delivery after your final approval, Good Sirs.

☻

SFCSNJ.jpg

GPHYVx.jpg

ftlKy0.jpg

ob1VzD.jpg

IB6ymN.jpg

Q10ygY.jpg

PvpEbF.jpg

Fwcj7i.jpg

FE4k4A.jpg

Edited by YANFRET

Soon the Great People of Kerbin shall once again stretch forth our wings and embrace the beautiful and magnificent worlds hanging so tantalizingly before us in the Void. And it will be the thunderous and breath-taking machines of Chaka Monkey Exploration Systems that take us valiantly to our destiny. Our brave Kerbalnauts are ready. Our launch crews prepared. We but wait the word.

(Yanfret, as always you and your team are creating some incredibly beautiful spacecraft. Can't wait to fly them.)

Soon the Great People of Kerbin shall once again stretch forth our wings and embrace the beautiful and magnificent worlds hanging so tantalizingly before us in the Void. And it will be the thunderous and breath-taking machines of Chaka Monkey Exploration Systems that take us valiantly to our destiny. Our brave Kerbalnauts are ready. Our launch crews prepared. We but wait the word.

(Yanfret, as always you and your team are creating some incredibly beautiful spacecraft. Can't wait to fly them.)

Couldn't have said it better myself! Right now my space program has established a low orbit space station to train the next generation of Kerbalnauts who will explore the heavens aboard these marvels of space travel!

Status Bulletin VII

Chaka 1.0.2 reaches surface of Duna

X0g1fI.jpg

ikVTMp.jpg

A few notes... with 1.0.2 atmospherics involved... very difficult to control on entry. This is because it's so top heavy.

However, the great news is now the heat shield decelerates us A LOT! That was really a missing link between Chaka designs before and previous version of KSP.

SO, the plan is now we can do away with the "terminal retro stage" and use the LDSD ( inflatable heat shield) to make up its delta V work, and hopefully that gives us a much lower center of mass for control.

I'm also making the administrative decision to transfer the missing mass from terminal retro stage into the inflatable heat shield part. This will maintain system continuity in terms of performance, and give us an even lower center of mass.

9N0omh.jpg

I'm not sure about the rabbit ear panels, maybe just one?

PS: You can see on NASA.gov they are getting ready to test a similar inflatable heat shield this week!

Edited by YANFRET

Yeah, let's try it this way, no retro stage, and the heatshield encapsulated:

uh4IdU.jpg

pYVwX3.jpg

PyqeqQ.jpg

SUCCESS!!

Without the retro stage it's completley stable! It rocks slightly back and forth, and you need to head in from low angle, say 120km, but it works perfectly! No need for SAS or RCS on entry.

It was tense choosing when to toss the LDSD and stage for the terminal burn!!

Edited by YANFRET

Yeah, let's try it this way, no retro stage, and the heatshield encapsulated:

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/41/uh4IdU.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img910/3306/pYVwX3.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/6924/PyqeqQ.jpg

SUCCESS!!

Without the retro stage it's completley stable! It rocks slightly back and forth, and you need to head in from low angle, say 120km, but it works perfectly! No need for SAS or RCS on entry.

It was tense choosing when to toss the LDSD and stage for the terminal burn!!

Do you have a suggestion of when to do so?

We need to do another entry to validate that.

It brings up a good point though, we need to include more documentation, so I'm gonna make a single sheet quick reference PDF card for each vehicle so important facts and an exploded diagram are available to the user without having to go all the way back to the VAB craft description.

1 - i guess he meant to ask if the download includes the parts from the mods mentioned in the OP

2 - that's slowly turning into torture... :(

EDIT: btw, have you thought about adding Jupiter DIRECT parts? i know they haven't been selected, but they look quite cool... :P

Edited by JoseEduardo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.