[WEB] [1.0.5] KSP Optimal Rocket Calculator v1.20

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just wondering if you could put the atmospheric stats option back in. Sometimes it will use an engine on the first stage whose ASL Thrust is significantly lower then it's Vac Thrust and it won't leave the launch pad.

Just wondering if you could put the atmospheric stats option back in. Sometimes it will use an engine on the first stage whose ASL Thrust is significantly lower then it's Vac Thrust and it won't leave the launch pad.

I removed it as I wasn't certain that atmospheric thrust was being calculated properly since KSP v1.0 changed how thrust is calculated. I'm hoping someone can get me the new equations.

It should just be:

TWR = Fthrust / (tM*g)

where Fthrust is the Max thrust given on the info page in kN, tM is the total mass of the vessel in kg, and g being the acceleration due to gravity.

They give the ASL thrust for each engine on the info panel.

I'm a little confused as to how this design is supposed to work. Note that there are no decouplers listed for stage 3.

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]Stage[/TD]

[TD]Part[/TD]

[TD]x[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]Payload: 1.4t[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]TR-18A Stack Decoupler

FL-T200 Fuel Tank x5

LV-T45 "Swivel" Liquid Fuel Engine[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2[/TD]

FL-T200 Fuel Tank

[TD]x3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]FL-T100 Fuel Tank

FL-T200 Fuel Tank x3

[TD]x3[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I'm assuming that stage 2 has a single decoupler at the top, with a FL-T200 tank and an engine blow, then radially attached to the sides would be the other two tanks and engines. But I don't understand how stage 3 is supposed to attach to stage 2 without any decouplers. Am I missing something?

All of the designs I'm getting with no radial decouplers are similar to this, with no decouplers listed for stage 3.

Thanks,

Keith

This happens to me often if I don't have any radial decouplers selected. I'm guessing the tool wants to put in radial decouplers, but knows it can't because none are selected, so it puts nothing instead. In your case, you should probably put a stack decoupler underneath the seconds stage

@GaryCourt would it be possible for you to add an import an export function (e.g. to JSON) so we could save our settings (known techs, and all the other parameters) and import them again? This would be really nice and convenient. Thanks for your great work!

Edited by Edramone
typos

To better approximate ascent through an atmosphere, would it be possible to extend the "Use engine's atmospheric stats" option so that it only applies for the first X amount of Delta-V? On Kerbin for example, depending on TWR and how you do the gravity turn, approximately the first 1200-1600 m/s delta-V are atmospheric. Making this an option would give a neat tool to optimise atmospheric ascent.

Otherwise I find that with the "atmospheric stats" option selected, the upper stages are (relatively) overpowered and heavier than they need to be, and without the option I can't even get off the launchpad because it always seems to prefer engines with low atmospheric thrust. Well I guess they have higher vac Isp so without an atmosphere that makes sense.

• 4 weeks later...
Done.

First of all, I registered in this forum to tell you how awesome your tool is. I have been using it for a while.

About the atmospheric stats, I noticed that it is working again when optimizing for mass, but it is still not working for cost.

Thanks for your work, I will see if I can make some improvements too

• 3 months later...

Great tool! Been very useful for getting ideas on building better rockets.

To better approximate ascent through an atmosphere, would it be possible to extend the "Use engine's atmospheric stats" option so that it only applies for the first X amount of Delta-V? On Kerbin for example, depending on TWR and how you do the gravity turn, approximately the first 1200-1600 m/s delta-V are atmospheric. Making this an option would give a neat tool to optimise atmospheric ascent.

Otherwise I find that with the "atmospheric stats" option selected, the upper stages are (relatively) overpowered and heavier than they need to be, and without the option I can't even get off the launchpad because it always seems to prefer engines with low atmospheric thrust. Well I guess they have higher vac Isp so without an atmosphere that makes sense.

Yes - some better heuristics for atmospheric stats would be great. I don't ever want the LV-909 at the launchpad, for instance, but it's great in far upper atmosphere and vaccuum.

Also, sometimes the suggested asparagus builds are a bit ... weird? FLT 100+FLT 200+LV 909 surrounded by 4 x Rockamax 64+Mainsail doesn't really build out that well :)

That is exactly the feature I'm missing - a "model atmosphere for first X dv" would be extremely useful to get real "practical" designs.

Linearily transitioning from ISP_atmo to ISP_vacuum while going through that atmospheric dv part would make the simulation even better.

Great tool anyway :).

Edited by Kerbonavt

• 3 weeks later...

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]Stage[/TD]

[TD]Part[/TD]

[TD]x[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]Payload: 1.4t[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1[/TD]

FL-T200 Fuel Tank x5

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2[/TD]

FL-T200 Fuel Tank

[TD]x3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]FL-T100 Fuel Tank

FL-T200 Fuel Tank x3

[TD]x3[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I'm assuming that stage 2 has a single decoupler at the top, with a FL-T200 tank and an engine blow, then radially attached to the sides would be the other two tanks and engines. But I don't understand how stage 3 is supposed to attach to stage 2 without any decouplers. Am I missing something?

All of the designs I'm getting with no radial decouplers are similar to this, with no decouplers listed for stage 3.

Thanks,

Keith

this is what I think it means

SZ8K11h

the second stage attaches to a single decoupler so that stage 3 can be symmetrical (without blocking the engines in stage 2.) stage 3 also connects to the same decoupler (or to the side of the stage 2 tanks)

replace the pod with your 1.4t payload

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.