A Fan Works library (moderator input required)

KSK

Hey folks,

I've been following a couple of stories lately which (sadly) are now finished. I thoroughly enjoyed both of them and it seems a shame to watch them fade away as they get buried my newer or frequently updated threads.

With that in mind, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a Library thread? It wouldn't be particularly complicated, just a stickied thread (hence the need for moderator approval) with a list of links to completed stories, their author and possibly a 2-3 line precis of the story provided by the author. If the list gets long enough it could be broken down into separate genre lists, for example, AARs, short stories, parodies, war stories.

I'd be happy to set up the Library and keep it updated.

Cheers,

KSK.

Edit: I havn't seen this suggested before but please feel free to point me at the relevant thread if I'm just rehashing an old idea here.

OK, I think we have a plan :) I'll start the actual Library on a new thread - please use this one instead for any comments, suggested links to completed stories etc.

First priority is to pull out all the finished stories. Whether I then include works in progress - including my own - will probably depend how long the list of finished ones is.

SpaceSphere - the two I've just finished were 'Sort of a Space Odyssey' by Lar-E and 'The Ballad of Chadmore Kerman' by tntristan12. Took me a little while to get into 'Odyssey' but it ended up being (literally) laugh out loud reading. 'Ballad' will twist your mind - I thoroughly recommend it if you havn't already read it.

Good idea but why only completed stories? It would be a good idea to include all the ongoing ones which were, say, updated at least 4-5 times and older than a month or so. This would make a complete list of all the AARs maintained by their creators. There's a lot of good stuff that gets lost after it falls to 2nd-3rd page. Just saying :)

Mainly because it was a (hopefully) easy place to start and simplified the choice of stories to 'finished' vs 'not finished', rather than choosing between 'unfinished but updated regularly', unfinished but updated occasionally' and 'apparently abandoned.'

Thanks for the suggestion though - that looks like an easier way of filtering the unfinished stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion though - that looks like an easier way of filtering the unfinished stuff.

You should also check these moderated threads on Crusader Kings II forum which is well known for its AAR community:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?586195-CK2-AAR-LibrAARy-Reporting-Thread-Report-New-AARs-Here

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?615086-CK2-AAR-LibrAARy-Thread-Search-for-AARs-Here

Another good idea is Weekly AAR Showcase - you can see how it works in this thread: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?187634-Weekly-AAR-Showcase-Random-World-Order (and yes, it's been going on since 2005)

This is definitely a promising idea. I keep my own library, the link for which is in my signature (The Mason Codex). It might be easier to just link my Codex instead of linking my individual stories though, seeing as I update it whenever I put up a new story, but it's up to you, really.

Right - may as well start as I mean to go on and use this thread for posting comments to keep the library thread uncluttered.

I'll be working backwards through the Fan Works forum, picking out stories as I go. Everything goes in regardless of length, story type or any other criterion. If I've missed something out or I'm working too slowly for your tastes and you want to see a particular story included right the heck now, please feel free to message me with a link and thanks in advance for the help! Conversely, if I've included something and you, the author, would rather it wasn't included, please message me and I'll remove the link.

Completed stories first as mentioned above. Works in progress to be dealt with afterwards.

Cheers.

KSK.

Great! Are you going to sort the links somehow (author, start date etc.)? Plus it would be a good idea I think to allow all the authors to write short (two-three sentences) descriptions of their stories to put on the list so that one can easier find what's most interesting for him.

Great! Are you going to sort the links somehow (author, start date etc.)? Plus it would be a good idea I think to allow all the authors to write short (two-three sentences) descriptions of their stories to put on the list so that one can easier find what's most interesting for him.

Definitely! Once I've finished the list I'll be sorting it in alphabetical order by author at the very least and probably sub-divide it into categories. At the moment, based on what I've found so far I'm thinking:

Songs and Poetry

Humour

Incidents (basically 1 page AARs)

Short Stories

AARs

Backstories

I'm open to suggestions though. And yes - if any authors want to contribute descriptions, please do get in touch and I'll add them in. It would make a big difference.

Update. Finished stories section (70 in total) completed and mostly catalogued. The Short Stories section needs a little more organisation, as it's something of a 'miscallaneous' section at the moment.

OK, seems I've missed this thread till now. Cool idea, like having a central repository for things like this. Nice going KSK. :)

(EDIT: Suggestion. Until it does get stickied put a link to this in your sig KSK... OK, kind of obvious when I think on it, and you probably would have done that anyway, but just saying :) )

Update. Finished stories section (70 in total) completed and mostly catalogued. The Short Stories section needs a little more organisation, as it's something of a 'miscallaneous' section at the moment.

You should put a link to it in the first post or your signature (or both).

Edit: Ninja'd.

I have some of my stuff I'd like to offer for archiving.

Incidents.

Starfighters on The Mun

After Jeb and Bill crash their expeirmental spacecraft, it falls to Bob to come to the rescue.

A Mass-driven rescue.

An experimental launch system again leaves Jeb and Bill in need of rescue.

Short stories (finished), or maybe backstories:

The Space Centre Reborn!

A story about the space center renovations in version 0.21. And the didn't-quite-happen save breaker.

Poems/songs

Six White Boosters

A kerbalised Aussie Christmas classic.

A visit from St. Jeb.

A humourus poem with a unique take on upgrading to version 0.22.

Also, will this be only stories, or artwork and mission too?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/61409-A-KerbalKon

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/51724-Back-to-0-19-and-recovering-my-very-first-Mun-Lander

I suggest that everything gets a quick review before it's entered into the archive. Occasionally, things that get offered being brutally honest might not be worth it.

Edited by Tw1

Hey folks - thanks for the feedback!

TJM - some of your stuff is indeed in there. Thanks to a wise suggestion by Patupi and czokletmuss please now see my signature. :)

Tw1 - Visit from St Jeb is definitely in there - thanks for the pointers to the other pieces! Stories only at the moment I'm afraid.

And yes - some of the stories could use a little, (or even a lot) more work but for now they're all going in there. I don't really want to set myself up as the arbiter of quality, since that's a really grey area. Frankly I'm not sure where I'd draw the line between deserving and not deserving and I think most everyone would have a different opinion on where it should be. Besides, the feedback and comments on some stories are quite instructional in their own right.

Edited by KSK

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.