ISS service extended!

GJames

It's not like you can't remove modules and add new ones. That way you could keep it up "forever".

Actually, you can't. The solar arrays are rated for 20 years and there are no plans to replace them as they start generating less power. There are only 2 spares of the rotating joints on the station, and no way to send up new ones. One has already failed. The central elements Unity and Zarya or truss elements can't be replaced and they are the oldest parts of the station. If they start leaking, the station is toast.

The only modules that are scheduled to be added are the Russian OPSEK modules, which are destined to be the heart of the new station when the ISS ends.

There's also Nauka/MLM, which isn't designed to be part of OPSEK, bit that's only still on the ground due to institutional issues at Krunichev; it was supposed to be up there in 2007.

Because providing that gravity causes all sorts of problems,

Cant be worse than micro gravity. We know it has all sorts of harmfull effects on human over the long term. Affects we most likley wont be able to overcome without millions of years of evolution. Its not space thats the problems, its our won bodys.

from the engineering issues of providing it,

Can be overcome.

from the massive amount of parasitic weight it entails, from the operational constraints it places on your spacecraft

No more parasitic than oxygen and CO2 scrubbers and water tanks. Gravitys seems nessary to long term human health. Anyway no you dont need it for say a short term Earth to Orbit ship. But if you want to ever actually have a real hope of safe travel beyond the moon we need to look at specialy constructed ships in orbit not meant to land or take off just move between the planets like a short of "bus" and thats were artificial gravity comes in.

to the (currently unknown) medical effects...

Well heres a simple solution for ya....make it known. Its called you know sceince? That why the centrifugal module in my opinion was the most stupid thing cancelled on the ISS as it could have not only given anwsers on if centrifugal force can replace gravity but also if it worked can organisms survive at lower gravity levels.

People have spent well over a year without gravity without any major or permanent effects.

A year. But what about longer? What about 5 years? Plus permanent affacts may be present seeing as there is concern about alzheimer's.

No for earth to orbit or short term space vists gravitys isnt as vital as oxygen. But if we are talking long haul interplantery trips to mars or satern then it could very well be just as important. Same with long term habitation of long garvity enviroments can fetus develeope ect?

Also you have comfort. You can survive in space without a toliets peeing in cath tubes or diapers and pooping in plastic bags, doesnt mean its ideal hence the expense and weight fitting proper toliet facilitys in space craft nowdays. Same with gravity.

Edited by crazyewok

We will not see a manned trip to Mars in the next 50 years.

Pessimist

Plus if we don't do the RESEARCH we never will.

Why exactly should we go to Saturn?

Maybe because its got some of the most intresting and resource rich moons in the solar system? Just Enceladus alone if worth a vist for its possibilty of suporting life.

In fact with your attitude why bother? Why not just give up and go live in caves and mud huts.

Maybe because its got some of the most intresting and resource rich moons in the solar system? Just Enceladus alone if worth a vist for its possibilty of suporting life.

Since when does it need people in situ to mine stuff or do science? And moons are terrible sites for ressource procurement, especially those of far planets like Saturn. Smart people go to the main belt or NEOs.

Who do you think the average person would believe and trust here? The guy who's a 'pessimist' according to a random internet person; or the guy who spells 'low gravity' 'long garvity'?

O Im sorry I have something called dyslexia! When I type fast sometimes I put a wrong words in the wrong place.

But hey Dyslexia = dumbass so I will just go sit in a corner with my dunce hat on ( And duncy biology degree because I was to thick to get a Astrophysics degree) and watch cartoons DUH!

Sarcasm if you dont understand.

Edited by crazyewok

Who do you think the average person would believe and trust here? The guy who's a 'pessimist' according to a random internet person; or the guy who spells 'low gravity' 'long garvity'?

That might well be a different answer than the answer to the question "Who is right?"...

You can spell well and still be incorrect, or correct. These days it`s not so cut and dried.

Some of the smartest people I know couldn`t spell if their life depended on it.

Some of the smartest people I know couldn`t spell if their life depended on it.

True for me too. But they're a very distinct minority. They laughed at Columbus - but they also laughed at Bozo the Clown and Jeff Dunham too. When I hear laughter, I bet the odds and bet "comedian".

We will not see a manned trip to Mars in the next 50 years.

If NASA and/or other space agencies worked with private companies to generate revenue and the necessary technology, we could probably see it within ten years.

We will not see a manned trip to Saturn in the next century, possibly we will never see one. Why exactly should we go to Saturn?

We don't really need to yet, but who knows what might happen in a few decades? That Mars landing could ignite more interest in space travel.

Since when does it need people in situ to mine stuff or do science? And moons are terrible sites for ressource procurement, especially those of far planets like Saturn. Smart people go to the main belt or NEOs.
The moons of giant planets are stuck in deep gravity wells. The same cannot be said for NEOs or main-belt asteroids.

If NASA and/or other space agencies worked with private companies to generate revenue and the necessary technology, we could probably see it within ten years.

Generate revenue how? What could a private company possibly want from a crewed Mars landing?

Which is exactly my point. Deep gravity wells = a lot of energy needed to achieve orbit or escape velocity. And energy is money.

It definitely is. Why shoot for destinations further out of reach and less promising before we even start a permanent presence on our moon? The moon is a test-bed for long-term stays on NEOs, Mars and asteroids. We need baby steps before we take big ones.

Generate revenue how? What could a private company possibly want from a crewed Mars landing?

Actually one good proposal I saw was advertising. Seems tacky and to be honest it is. But there are some company's that would pay alot to stick there name tag on it. Hell Coca cola for one being the red planet. The first modules on mars may very well have logos all over them.

Is such scenario possible - after lack of funding to sustain ISS its being sold to provate company whith turns it intospace hotel?

Yes, right now probably there is no company capable of maitaining ISS or even affording to byu it, but lets take trip into 10 eyars or 15 into future.

Maybe, skylon or some other means of transportation will allow to send some vital replacements for ISS to orbit.

Or even if Zarya/Unity and Truss will have to be scrapped, some components will still coudl be used. Some prossurized modules? For some space company low on budget.

Edited by kiwiak

We will not see a manned trip to Saturn in the next century

Likely not even in the next 200 years. But a manned Mars landing by 2064? While it's far from being bound to happen, it isn't that unlikely either.

I mean, most of the technology needed exists. We just need a better reason to spend hundreds of billions on such a mission than "because it's awesome".

Edited by Ravenchant

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.