[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

Is it possible to make a rotatron with integrated solar panel or sun-sensor? I'd like for there to be a part that you can fit optionally, a ginormous solar array of individual panels, or a greenhouse, and have it auto-rotate to the sun

Someone previously suggested, and I would like to reiterate, the Goodspeed Aerospace mod that adds a pretty robust part scale tweakable, in order to reduce part/size clutter. At the very least, I hope it's fully compatible, and we can delete parts and add the tweakable manually.

Someone previously suggested, and I would like to reiterate, the Goodspeed Aerospace mod that adds a pretty robust part scale tweakable, in order to reduce part/size clutter. At the very least, I hope it's fully compatible, and we can delete parts and add the tweakable manually.

Yep, it's on my list to look at. I suspect it won't be as trivial as changing a cfg line in the part to use the GoodSpeed scale plugin, since the part will also need to use the robotics plugin simultaneously (I don't know if KSP supports multiple inheritance). However, since the mod currently isn't compatible with 0.23.5 I've shifted my focus to other things such as the phoenix inspired parts.

Is it possible to make a rotatron with integrated solar panel or sun-sensor? I'd like for there to be a part that you can fit optionally, a ginormous solar array of individual panels, or a greenhouse, and have it auto-rotate to the sun

that should be possible just through cfg, with maybe a little texture change to differentiate the part. it's totally beyond me, as i don't know animation, but the solar panels already have a suntracking function in their animation. it should be relatively easy to borrow that... for someone who knows what they're doing.

also based on the infernal robotics thread i think they're getting close to a solution. some people have apparently functional work-arounds already, so we may see it get fixed in the next day or so. just my estimate/hunch.

that should be possible just through cfg, with maybe a little texture change to differentiate the part. it's totally beyond me, as i don't know animation, but the solar panels already have a suntracking function in their animation. it should be relatively easy to borrow that... for someone who knows what they're doing.

Toadicus of TweakableEverything fame has made it so you can enable/disable sun tracking for solar panels in TE.. If anyone knows where the sun tracking bit of the panels is located, it'll be him I reckon.

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning to. Trying to figure out how I want the pistons to look ATM. I already modelled a version some time ago, but can't decide whether I prefer it over the original telescopic pisto I made.

For reference, this is what I have at the moment:

_debcce0732534268abdae2c8756ab157

And here's how the old one looks:

_2d867be4ec2a470780468d7fd2868aec

i think if you do a squarish one it should have a cylindrical center with a square frame around it, and cabling running along the framing. like in a machine shop, they'll often have a winch on a gantry rail, with the power cables looped onto runners. that same looped cable look. so when it's retracted, the cable forms a tight bundle, but when it extends the slack is pulled out of the loops and the cabling becomes more taut.

but that might be too much lol

glad to hear you're continuing! thanks!

ZodiusInfuser please release the parts as you finish them, like a pre-release kind of thing. I'm sure people can't wait for the whole thing to come soon enough.

As I can imagine some parts need adjusting to have everything work together, I can imagine that being a problem. As well as wanting to polish everything to a shine :)

ZodiusInfuser please release the parts as you finish them, like a pre-release kind of thing. I'm sure people can't wait for the whole thing to come soon enough.

Now that IR is working again, I will look at getting a raw test version out in the coming week. It will contain the existing set of textured structural parts, and most of the untextured joints. This would be purely to gain feedback on the asthetic and functionality, and from that I can refine things as necessary. Would that be of interest to people?

Now that IR is working again, I will look at getting a raw test version out in the coming week. It will contain the existing set of textured structural parts, and most of the untextured joints. This would be purely to gain feedback on the asthetic and functionality, and from that I can refine things as necessary. Would that be of interest to people?

I would download and test, provided I find time to actually play.

Oh my, yes.

I would download and test, provided I find time to actually play.
Oh my, yes.

That's a resounding yes then :P I'll get to work getting the joints playable in-game then.

In the meantime I finalised the cfg's of the structural parts, giving them cool names and descriptions. They look a bit odd with the current IR parts, but are entirely usable. Since I've been holding onto these parts for months now, I think it's time to let people start playing around with them, so enjoy :D

Edit: Check the download link and changelog in the first post

Although they're just structural parts, I'd welcome any feedback regarding their balance, or suggestions of how to expand the range perhaps. Also, a big thank you to Porkjet for the great texture work, and Sirkut for letting me be involved with Infernal Robotics :D

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

To install just merge the GameData folder with that in your KSP directory, and the parts will get placed within your existing MagicSmokeIndustries subfolder.

Calling the folder "_Rework_Structural" may come back to bite you. It'll make upgrading from pre-release to final release a bit of a hassle, unless you maintain the name indefinitely (well, close enough to that, anyway).

I know, it *is* a pre-release / preview, but we all know that users don't make distinctions like that.

I understand your concern. The main reason for the name at present is so that it's easily identifiable when mixed in with the other IR parts. I plan to keep the name up until the point when _rework_ and _legacy_ parts switch places, at which point all this will be part of the official Infernal Robotics download anyway.

Can you make a part, like the docking washer, but with a small solar cell on one side, and an automatic mode that nulls when facing the sun? Allows gigantic solar assemblies to be automated, and switchable to manual for stowage or whatever reason.

I understand your concern. The main reason for the name at present is so that it's easily identifiable when mixed in with the other IR parts.

How 'bout doing it like "GameData/[Rework|Dev]MagicSmokeIndustries"? That is easily identifiable, and can be used for MSI dev and stable releases, both. Question would be one of how KSP/Unity loads files, though, to avoid name collisions. That's up in the air, given Unity's idiosyncrasies.

Great looking parts but do you need to define a path to the model and texture in the .cfg? Other parts seem not to and I can put their folders anywhere in GameData, these are the first I've had that will only work from one specific location.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.