[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

Traced the reason my solar arrays keep breaking. Turns out the trusses and tubes start to oscillate when I have extended (stock) solar panels on them. I imagine it's got something to do with the sun tracking?

I can reproduce it reliably by putting three 2.5m junior trusses on each other, adding solar panels to the tip, extending them, and then go to the space center and back. Only happens during daytime. Happens with both trusses and pipes, although I haven't tried every variant, but it doesn't happen with the stock XL girder.

Here's an image of it flipping out on a test vessel: link. It's flapping it's panels like wings.

Curious indeed, I just got the same thing to happen. Then tried it with another long truss from a different mod, it seemed to wobble very slightly when I zoomed in on the top of it but then stop after a while. I wonder if the panels are making a force and the IR truss is tuned to resonate it, I'm not sure what else it could be.

• 1 month later...

Since I saw the Athlete Thruss I wanted to do this :

Foldatron_Arm.jpg

I'm pretty sure IR is messy while tweakscaling and there are some special config to make for it if we want to use tweakscale. Probably with the node adjustement.

This is probably really messy, I didn't reloaded a ship with it yet, but it's already buggy in the VAB: the node attach are returning to normal as soon as you copy the part, or open a ship file ( an overscaled will have the node inside the part, and an underscaled will have the node outside of it ).

I just messed with your scaling definition for the foldatron ( scaleFactors = 0.45, 0.54, 0.67, 0.82, 1.0, 1.22). Over 1.22 it seem to get even more buggy as the part are not moving, and they dont look like they'Re stuck togheter.

I'm not asking for help or anything, I know where to find the IR documentation and it is in my plans to go through it. Since there's a special guide for creating IR parts, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna find all the explanation for these behaviors in the docs. I'm just sharing the idea right now because it's been itching me since I saw the Foldatron and the thrusses !

And your parts are absolutly beautiful !!! I'm really eager to get the new ones you are working on, they are gorgeous as well ( yes, gorgeous robotic parts ! )

This is probably really messy, I didn't reloaded a ship with it yet, but it's already buggy in the VAB: the node attach are returning to normal as soon as you copy the part, or open a ship file ( an overscaled will have the node inside the part, and an underscaled will have the node outside of it ).

This is a bug with the current version of TweakScale (1.49). Nothing anyone can fix with config changes.

Ok, youhou then it means it's actually working.

Any idea of why scaling over 1.22 prevent part from moving ( there like translating just a bit, wich make no sense ).

Zodius since it's your stuff and your models, would you mind giving the exact proportion between the outside and inside joint of the foldatron insert. I made it visually at 82%, but I feel like the lack of precision is probably breaking the bigger scales because of parts interferences.

Ok, youhou then it means it's actually working.

Any idea of why scaling over 1.22 prevent part from moving ( there like translating just a bit, wich make no sense ).

Zodius since it's your stuff and your models, would you mind giving the exact proportion between the outside and inside joint of the foldatron insert. I made it visually at 82%, but I feel like the lack of precision is probably breaking the bigger scales because of parts interferences.

I think unless you're running that mod that allows parts on the same ship to collide they won't be interfering, I guessed at 80% for the inside and it looked OK. I'd try doing the larger parts by creating a duplicate and using rescaleFactor to see if that'll work. From what I've done in the past 1.22 shouldn't be too big to break IR, it's most likely just what Tweekscale is doing.

I came up with 82% because i'm picky :D

It a excellent idea to use rescale factor on a new part, I'll try it too. I didn't spend too much time testing it yet, so it might be a cfg error or something that kept the part from moving at 1.45 and stuff. Let me know if you get the same behavior when you put all the scales on the same part.

EDIT: Ok, I'm dumb, didn't retry it but anyways, the ''bug'' I was expperiencing with part bigger than 1.22 scale was most probably due to the fact that I didn'T respect the IR building scheme ( attaching part always on the good node, not reversing them without using a reverse mount )

EDIT: Tried to assemble it correctly, still translating instead of rotating, i'll try with a new part like you suggested.

Sans_titre.jpg

Edited by Saint-Stanislas

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All. Have I missed anything? :wink:

As I'm sure some of you will have noticed, I've been pretty absent from this project over the last few months. I had a lot of RL commitments from September, meaning I had little time for KSP modding, as thus lost enthusiasm for it. It pleases me to see my parts still in use in various screenshots and videos, despite their unfinished state :)

Since we're in a new year, I thought I'd have a go at starting the project back up :). I'm going to take it slow, since I still have those RL commitments I mentioned, but I hope to try and get a number of in-progress parts finished.

Starting off that goal, here's a revised version of the landing foot. It turns out the old design clipped through the athlete parts rather badly so needed to be completely redone. Let me know what you think.

_644abc75044d4f5186bbb251dc844ba9

Question: Should this have an integrated Light to aid in landing, or not?

Thanks for the welcomes :). I'll go ahead and include a short range light to the bottom, seeing as people think it will be useful.

While I was away I saw electronicfox's quadcopter pack, and it got me thinking that perhaps the IR rework could benefit from a propeller part or two. The idea would be that they have the standard rework mounting, allowing you to make foldable multicopters. Do people think this would be worth exploring, or is it beyond the scope of what infernal robotics should be?

A set of propulsion parts fitting the IR rework visual style could be cool, but Firespitter already has foldable electric propellers and the USI Exploration pack has some very slick electric ducted fans. I think there's something to be said for limiting IR parts to support and motion, and leaving the end effectors up to other mods.

On the other hand, your wheels look stunning, and it's a good thing they're in the pipeline, as I'm not aware of any other omniwheels being actively developed/updated (though I sure wouldn't mind being proven wrong on this point), so maybe a few niche props wouldn't be a bad idea after all.

Ooooh! Welcome back! And well, I am not sure how useful that light on landing leg would be after landing. I can always use a light somewhere higher up the craft to have a wider view of the surrounding and still shines on things below.

But I imagine that landing leg would make awesome mech feet.

Ooooh! Welcome back! And well, I am not sure how useful that light on landing leg would be after landing. I can always use a light somewhere higher up the craft to have a wider view of the surrounding and still shines on things below.

It's because some people don't like or can't have too many parts because they, like I do, play on a potato.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.