[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

Looks really promising, are you planing to make optional cfgs for people that don't use tweakscale at all ?

Reason is that several last releases of tweakscale are full of bugs, it breaks game in places where you least expect it. Author of mod is in lack of free time to update it in reasonable time, so while tweakscale is good mod, we will have to manage without it for a while. At least until another stable version of tweakscale is released.

Edited by kcs123

Looks really promising, are you planing to make optional cfgs for people that don't use tweakscale at all ?

Reason is that several last releases of tweakscale are full of bugs, it breaks game in places where you least expect it. Author of mod is in lack of free time to update it in reasonable time, so while tweakscale is good mod, we will have to manage without it for a while. At least until another stable version of tweakscale is released.

I second this. I really enjoy IR, but I had to get rid of tweakscale completely and now I can only build huge robotic parts.

I second this. I really enjoy IR, but I had to get rid of tweakscale completely and now I can only build huge robotic parts.

Have both of you considered just removing all of the configs that have Tweakscale affect stock parts and other mods? I've been using it regularly this way and not had issues, although I admit I've not done a full mission with many saves and loads in a while.

Edit: That's my one gripe with TweakScale. I don't want to scale all my normal parts, just those for my own mod :mad:

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

You can actually just remove the tweakscale cfg for this and it would still work, just stuck with 1 part size. Unless you mean making multiple cfg to have one in every part sizes.

Have both of you considered just removing all of the configs that have Tweakscale affect stock parts and other mods? I've been using it regularly this way and not had issues, although I admit I've not done a full mission with many saves and loads in a while.

Edit: That's my one gripe with TweakScale. I don't want to scale all my normal parts, just those for my own mod :mad:

I had this done before, but still had some issues, which were really hard to trace, but which went away almost completely when I got rid of tweakscale, so I prefer to stay away from tweakscale for now.

The reason I ask is that I use Procedural Fairings and you can switch base sizes there without use of tweakscale and I hoped it could be done for IR too rather painlessly.

Well, deleting configs for other parts didn't solved this:

JWCLHx9.png

I was blaming GPU drivers, unity, poor tested KSP release, ATM mod, anything but tweakscale.

Above bug in picture happened after saving game in orbit and loading the same save. I have to exit game all to desctop to cure this.

Along with visual glitches, RCS and main engines didn't worked properly, action groups become buged and so on.

Reported this in tweakscale thread and found in same thread that tweakscale is responsible for large craft falling apart. I wasn't be aware of that either.

Instead of using tweakscale cfg, it will be good to consider to write separate cfgs for us that can't use tweakscale anymore.

Fan of IR parts otherwise than too tied with tweakscale.

The reason I ask is that I use Procedural Fairings and you can switch base sizes there without use of tweakscale and I hoped it could be done for IR too rather painlessly.

I was not aware of this. Does this also change the position of attachment nodes, and any objects surface attached to the parts?

I was not aware of this. Does this also change the position of attachment nodes, and any objects surface attached to the parts?

It changes the position of attachment nodes for sure, but I havent tested the surface attachment with fairing bases. You can try for yourself, this mod (for me at least) is the most stable and usable part mod I use for 300+ hours played.

*snip*

alright fair enough. i guess i'll just have to make some tweaks of my own then and save them so i don't lose them :P

thanks for your help. it's a great mod.(/model rework)

Now if you can make a case for some of the parts to have different sizes (and by case I mean show me what tweakscaling the part lets you do that you couldn't before)

hmmm i was just curious really :( i'm using 0.25m parts and having a 0.5m part on it just looks... well... silly. and since i'm using the hangers mod for a "mobile base" i was thinking i could set up a small mining operation which doesn't kill my computer everytime i get within physics range. the reason why i wanted the Utility Magnet part to be 0.25m was because i wanted a lil rover to chug about picking up small fuel cans and dumping them into a trailer which hooks back up onto the rover. that's all. it seems fairly simple to code into the .cfgs so i'll get to it and show you my "cases" afterwards if it works. if not i'll just shut up and keep oogling your amazing work.

also when reading your comment i didn't mean any disrespect to you or your work. i probably would be stuck with the other parts instead of these ones if you never showed up (not saying the others are bad)

oh now that i think about it if anyone want's my edited .cfgs for the "extra small" size do i report it back to you first?

Edited by AntiMatter001

hmmm i was just curious really :( i'm using 0.25m parts and having a 0.5m part on it just looks... well... silly. and since i'm using the hangers mod for a "mobile base" i was thinking i could set up a small mining operation which doesn't kill my computer everytime i get within physics range. the reason why i wanted the Utility Magnet part to be 0.25m was because i wanted a lil rover to chug about picking up small fuel cans and dumping them into a trailer which hooks back up onto the rover. that's all. it seems fairly simple to code into the .cfgs so i'll get to it and show you my "cases" afterwards if it works. if not i'll just shut up and keep oogling your amazing work.

That's interesting because that's the completely opposite scale direction I was expecting you to ask for :P

also when reading your comment i didn't mean any disrespect to you or your work. i probably would be stuck with the other parts instead of these ones if you never showed up (not saying the others are bad)

I never got any sense of disrepect from your post :). I was just trying to clarify what's essentially an "artistic vision" for the mod, to have variety across the scales. This is the same reason why I won't make the structural parts scaleable. That being said, anything with the grey octagonal attachment point is easy to tweakscale without it looking odd, but the question is how useful adding the part in that scale would be, hence wanting to see scenarios that use it.

oh now that i think about it if anyone want's my edited .cfgs for the "extra small" size do i report it back to you first?

You're welcome to post the snippet of code for people to apply themselves (in

blocks), but I'd discourage you from sharing the updated .cfg around directly. Don't do a module manager config though, as that will cause issues if I do decide to add tweakscale to the parts in the future.

There are free rotating rotatrons both here and in the original parts set (the free moving docking washers), but due to a Unity limitation, there can't be free rotating pivotrons/hinges. I believe the issue is that the physics system doesn't allow for parts two rotate freely between two stop points.

Actually there are a couple of free/floppy pivotrons in the Rework pack and they don't have stop points, it may need Zodius to look at them though. The last time I used one (and it was a while ago) it had rotation on the wrong axis IIRC, wasn't that an issue from one of the newer plugin versions?

Those parts look great!

As the other of the SETI-BalanceMod (link in signature), it is however quite a huge part catalog.

So it would be really nice if you could rename the title of all those parts to follow a naming scheme.

That would greatly increase the "findability" of the parts.

Interestingly, the folders already follow a great naming scheme.

If you do not have the time for renaming, I could do the copy pasting for the current part files (if you are not working on the already released packs at the moment).

That would make those parts much easier to use, especially combined with other catalog intensive mods.

...So it would be really nice if you could rename the title of all those parts to follow a naming scheme.

That would greatly increase the "findability" of the parts.

Interestingly, the folders already follow a great naming scheme.

If you do not have the time for renaming, I could do the copy pasting for the current part files (if you are not working on the already released packs at the moment).

That would make those parts much easier to use, especially combined with other catalog intensive mods.

The ordering of the parts is rather annoying I agree, but I blame KSP 0.90 :P. Pre 0.90 the part list was ordered by folder and part name, which made all my parts nicely ordered and grouped together by function. Unfortunately now KSP orders parts by their in-game title, despite them claiming the ordering would be the same as before.

Because of this, editing the titles is low on my priority list. Your welcome to edit the titles of the parts for your own personal install, but I ask that you don't share it. You may message me with the changes you've applied though :)

Edit: I've had a quick play around, and putting prefixes such as IR-A, IR-T, IR-U etc, lets me add a bit of order back to the parts, but I need to play about with it more.

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

On the subject of organising the parts, I notice I'm using WIP for a lot of their descriptions. I'd like to fix this, but am not that good at coming up with interesting/amusing descriptions :(

As such, I'd like to open this up to ideas from the community. Any suggestions you may have for what to put for the various robotics parts, be it full descriptions or an idea for me to work with would be greatly appreciated :). Thanks

--------------------------------------------------

Oh, and because it feels odd to have not posted progress for a while, here's how my model of the ETF wheel is going (still much to be done):

_68ee9853b7f94929a77c16b4c91bed2c

Nope, this size is not intended for foldatrons. 4 other ones are though :)

yah, I haven't got much success with my version of double wheels lately, however I can indicate several differences already:

Zodius' wheels will be larger and could rotate fully (90/360) degrees; mine smaller and narrower and could rotate i guess max 20 degrees (reason being have to make them compatible with MFS lengths).Also I plan to have very high EC requirements so player will have to use some kind of heavy generators. They will be generally designed to be interconnected with other frame elements. Otherwise Zodius' wheels should fit nicely under newly designed FHXn extrawide frame (and generally under flat frames) so player has more choice :)

So I think there might be nice a out-of-the-box balance of those wheels so player can use one or another set depending on design and task;)

I love that this is still being worked on! Any chance you can do a prerelease of the vtol engines? I'm itching to build a physics correct sci line of atmospheric and space craft. I did almost a yearlong hiatus from KSP and you had just posted the teasers then and got really excited.

I love that this is still being worked on! Any chance you can do a prerelease of the vtol engines? I'm itching to build a physics correct sci line of atmospheric and space craft. I did almost a yearlong hiatus from KSP and you had just posted the teasers then and got really excited.

The VTOL mounts don't fit in with my current works on probe based parts. They were one of the first things I did before I really found my "style", and as such would need to be redone to match it before I'd feel happy to release them. It will be a long while before I do this though, sorry.

--------------------------------------------------

Ok, I really shouldn't be staying up till 3am on a Saturday night KSP modding, but the results were worth it :D

_9ce06ed02b534fa5b73eb13dd6abe4a3

From left to right:

P.S Please don't ask when you can get your hands on them. There's still much that needs to be configured, plus I want to switch over to using the Kerbal Foundries wheel plugin (with a few modifications).

Just point out where we can send some coffee for easier sleepless nights :)

Nice works, while we all eager to see them in action, take your own pace, I'm more than sure that it will be worth to wait for those parts.

Edited by kcs123

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.