[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

Awesome as always! Do you have any plans to texture these parts?

Some day, yes. Its really not on my priority list though, as I'd rather work on adding more parts that let players do more cool things first. Also I'm not artist so I'd need someone to work on it for me, and that's not a small undertaking.

I just ran into a really major bug with the autostruts, I'm looking into it further right now.

Check the parts you are securing. It has something to do with physics. Are you locking an entire craft in place? I found a couple work arounds for this if you need a hand.

Check the parts you are securing. It has something to do with physics. Are you locking an entire craft in place? I found a couple work arounds for this if you need a hand.

No it wasn't that, it was more that the entire game exploded (tonnes of exception thrown) when two struts where commanded to straight-up attach from the same action group.

Oh! You know I didn't try that yet. Now you got me curious. I'm going to play around with the Robotstruts tonight. So I was able to secure that arm by placing the targets on the edges of the anchored section of the IR parts of the arm instead of the RKE structural tubes. And someone else recommended it may be physics so I kinda jumped before I found out for myself. Still haven't figured it out fully.

Part idea : A slider/piston that extends only when sufficient external force is applied and retracts when that force drops below predefined threshold. Similar to free-moving rotatrons. Kind of rubber-band snapping back after release (just slower :) ).

I have to admit i used two uncontrolled joint pivotrons in 90 deg orientation with basic extendatron at the end to create a rudimentary free-moving expandable "rope" with a intermediate part and a docking port, all hanging below a ground vehicle. It works, has a known undocking glitch/solution.

Aim is to create a structure capable of responding to attraction force from a docking ports to reduce docking issues with ground vehicles and bases.

vehicle - uncontrolled pivotron 1 - uncontrolled pivotron 2 (90 deg orientation to first one) - basic extendatron - octagonal strut - docking port

Edited by fatcargo

The rework does not seem to be compatible with Active Texture Management. The main plugin works, but the rework doesn't texture properly. Has anyone else encountered the problem? A fix would be appreciated.

The rework does not seem to be compatible with Active Texture Management. The main plugin works, but the rework doesn't texture properly. Has anyone else encountered the problem? A fix would be appreciated.

Edit: removed my unecessary crass coment.

Edited by V8jester

It's a problem with ATM, not this mod. Read the OP under Known / Common Problems.

I'm starting to have a lot of fun with those RoboStruts.

Might trying making an IR bicycle next. Maybe a 2 story tall penny farthing for lulz.

May i ask if you are playing with them in 1.0 or .90 because the op page says that utility module is not updated.

by the way, if it's not updated yet? any news on the update progress?

Edit : My bad, didn't see posts on last page :D can't wait for the last module to be ready :D

Hey ZodiusInfuser, do your example crafts come set up with sequencer settings too? im a bit interested in how you made the legs walk i assume it was done with sequencer.

They don't currently, as I was concerned that the craft wouldn't load if players did not have the IRSequencer installed. As it turns out that may not be the case, so I can safely set sequences up for one or two of them tonight.

Which leg walk are you referring to? If you mean the hexapod thing in the trailer video, then that isn't an example craft as it was Darren9 who created it.

^ It could be an example craft if you'd like, would need to remove the winch/rover and adjust the engine fixings to be just IR/Stock. Can the example crafts use Tweakscale? I don't think there's a stock 0.5m motor that's suitable. It was made and used before the sequencer but that shouldn't be an issue, it should (in theory) be a lot easier than without it.

Edited by Darren9

They don't currently, as I was concerned that the craft wouldn't load if players did not have the IRSequencer installed. As it turns out that may not be the case, so I can safely set sequences up for one or two of them tonight.

Which leg walk are you referring to? If you mean the hexapod thing in the trailer video, then that isn't an example craft as it was Darren9 who created it.

yes that one

^ It could be an example craft if you'd like, would need to remove the winch/rover and adjust the engine fixings to be just IR/Stock. Can the example crafts use Tweakscale? I don't think there's a stock 0.5m motor that's suitable. It was made and used before the sequencer but that shouldn't be an issue, it should (in theory) be a lot easier than without it.

i use tweak scale, but im more interested in how the legs are sequenced then the actual craft itself, so if you wanted to make a more stockish version i would be fine with that

I had an idea a minute ago, would it be possible to make a balljoint type joint or a multidirectional joint (I was thinking like the wrist, but that is actually several joints)?

IR doesn't support having more than one joint (on one axis) per part, so you'd need to put multiple parts together to get the same effect as the wrist.

My project emulating a dead insect.... lol

screenshot11_zpsr6p4ptnn.png

Shortly after I sent the bug report update to zodius, I got hit by some wierd camera rotate bug and then the SPH camera decided that it was actually the VAB camera and then when I hit ctrl+z to undo an accidential removal of a part, I ended up losing quite a bit of progress and all of the sequence programming progress that I had made, so just, arg *bangs head on desk*.

Edit: What it actually looks like:

screenshot13_zpszcuze2pm.png

Edited by smjjames

Heres the example craft (and walking experiment) I decided to do.

http://sta.sh/0nvaatmvhmo

It walks sort of like a drunk stick insect and there is very little directional control at all. You can sort of force it via SAS to go in one direction, but only slowly and not very well. Not sure where the sequence info is though for the craft.

screenshot20_zpseqpvar9b.png

Get up into those hills dangit :(

screenshot22_zpspqxsry4o.png

I'm sorry I don't know where to put this folder, do I put the Rework_expansion folder in KerbalSpaceProgram/Gamedata/MagicSmokeIndustries/Parts and do i need the Rework_TweakScale.CFG file as well where should that one go?

thanks you for helping I'm confuse how to install this

I'm sorry I don't know where to put this folder, do I put the Rework_expansion folder in KerbalSpaceProgram/Gamedata/MagicSmokeIndustries/Parts and do i need the Rework_TweakScale.CFG file as well where should that one go?

thanks you for helping I'm confuse how to install this

Just drag the MagicSmokeIndustries folder that's inside the zip files gamedata folder into KSP/Gamedata folder and everything will go where it needs to go. The tweakscale config file is just there for those who have tweakscale (which is optional), so you can just ignore it.

Ok I installed it properly now the only thing is, I'm missing parts the wheels for the rovers and I install Rework_core and expansion pack as well am i missing something else?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.