[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

I did post this link a few posts back ;). Don't expect to have it be an engine for lifting MK3 parts though. I feel that's just too big to design a realistic electric propellor engine for.

Nice, not lifting a whole mk3 shuttle but like a dropship, an mk3 cargobay with some control parts, should be working.

something to be excited for :)

I'm not sure about doing a variant for smaller craft yet. If someone can find me an extremely cool reference image then maybe.

It's function is to photograph the terrain so that rovers can find a better course through rough terrain.

NASA-Copter-Drone-On-Mars.jpg

Looks like an alien craft.

eurosatory-2012-mini-drone-dinfotron-it180-se-L-Lwe9xQ.jpeg

And a crazy video of fpv racing:

I wonder if you make rotors which allow this gyrodyne aka compound helicopter aka compound gyroplane or something like that.

Note the coaxial rotor on top

JMR_avx.jpg

I was thinking more a boom with a propeller on top, or a pair, one top one bottom. Basically what you would see on any quad-copter. The second variant would be similar to the co-axial designs above.

So something like this then?

attachment.php?attachmentid=8407&d=1362600881

I could do that. You wouldn't be able to refold your craft if you intended it to deploy though, as I don't think Firespitter allows you to drive the blades to a "home" angle.

Speaking of rotors, I didn't found any that could behave like RCS in all kind of mods around.

Rotor that use electiric charge (maybe air too ??) as resource instead of monopropelant/LFO could be usefull for VTOL stability.

You still need more powerfull rotors as main VTOL lifters, but somehow rotors with RCS capability is missing for additional control.

Just idea, while you already working on this.

http://aeroquad.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8407&d=1362600881

I could do that. You wouldn't be able to refold your craft if you intended it to deploy though, as I don't think Firespitter allows you to drive the blades to a "home" angle.

The FSplanePropellerSpinner module does allow the use of a deploy/retract animation, if you just make the animation a single frame with the blades keyed into their home angle, it should work out alright.

In any case, it worked alright with this design, which uses co-axial rotors, they'll revert to their folded angle during retraction.

props.gif

Edited by electronicfox

The FSplanePropellerSpinner module does allow the use of a deploy/retract animation, if you just make the animation a single frame with the blades keyed into their home angle, it should work out alright.

In any case, it worked alright with this design, which uses co-axial rotors, they'll revert to their folded angle during retraction.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qdtU2Dayx4s/VW4eEuW1AaI/AAAAAAAAD2k/I9WN6fMdw3E/s1600/props.gif

I'm so happy to see you posting things like this again. RBI was outstanding, and this looks like an awesome fallow up. Keep up the good work.

I'm so happy to see you posting things like this again. RBI was outstanding, and this looks like an awesome fallow up. Keep up the good work.

I tend to come back every now and then when my work schedule becomes a little less busy.

http://aeroquad.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8407&d=1362600881

Yeah. Though I was thinking of using other IR parts to fold the arms up for storage and such, but if you have an idea for them to deploy/retract on their own the have at it. Don't want to stifle innovation and imagination.

Yeah. Though I was thinking of using other IR parts to fold the arms up for storage and such, but if you have an idea for them to deploy/retract on their own the have at it. Don't want to stifle innovation and imagination.

I wasn't thinking about having the mounting arms deploy and retract, but rather making sure that the rotor blades return to their starting angle so you can refold your craft up like this. Electronicfox, since your part does this (just tried it out btw, is great!) expect PMs from me in your near future ;)

Nice, not lifting a whole mk3 shuttle but like a dropship, an mk3 cargobay with some control parts, should be working.

something to be excited for :)

Did someone say lifting a Mk.3 fuselage and posting a picture of the Dragon Ship from Avatar?

Hmmmmm...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

In all seriousness, such a craft is riding on the Edge of Practicality. It might actually work better in nuFAR without the hard-coded lift vectors in stock airfoil parts causing strange twisting motions when pulling maximum collective pitch. Which makes me de-tune it during testing with ZodiusInfuser so as not to murder excessive numbers of Krash Test Kerbals.

However, with a sling load capability in excess of 30 tons (!!!) and extreme quad-copter stability, this is very fun to play with. I'll see if I can make a video of this thing in action; airlifting half a dozen 5-ton trucks at once, pulling a trawler clean out of the ocean, and other giant copter shenanigans :)

Trivia. It's a Boeing-Vertol V-44 Quad Tilt Rotor with the "Edge of Tomorrow" V-tail. Which is actually useful for stability during cruise flight.

I'll see if I can get to work on that Stockified synchropter to demonstrate the power of IR propellers too.

Interestingly you can make horizontal props with IR but without a special propeller part, it's quite clunky. But oh well, the original 1933 design of this aircraft wasn't known for its top speed.

Consider me highly interested in a much higher thrust, low part count, integrated Zodius-infused high RPM propeller part :)

In all seriousness, such a craft is riding on the Edge of Practicality. It might actually work better in nuFAR without the hard-coded lift vectors in stock airfoil parts causing strange twisting motions when pulling maximum collective pitch. Which makes me de-tune it during testing with ZodiusInfuser so as not to murder excessive numbers of Krash Test Kerbals.

Its certainly a good proof of concept though, and after much playing I was able to land it on the VAB no problem:

G4rlLzi.png

Consider me highly interested in a much higher thrust, low part count, integrated Zodius-infused high RPM propeller part :)

We'll see what I can come up with. I'd like these parts to be mildly plauisible, so don't expect the large version to lift huge amounts, on Kerbin anyway. You have to remember the Dragon from Avatar was on a moon with lower gravity than Earth.

Back to the medium propeller though, I've finished the design. Here's 4 on a 1.25m part:

uuMsisy.png

I decided against adding an IR joint to them. I think this will make the part more flexible for players who want to do various folding craft.

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

Any plans for a much smaller version, without the shroud? Would be perfect for smaller drones exploring atmosphered planets.
I was thinking more a boom with a propeller on top, or a pair, one top one bottom. Basically what you would see on any quad-copter. The second variant would be similar to the co-axial designs above.

Will this do? :)

s8qu5Ea.png

(Blades are currently a copy of the larger Prop, but I may change them to add variety to the collection)

8w5yU2f.png

(Four around a 0.625m part, with the shortest RoboTube Lite's to extend them out)

Here's the main reference I used for this design

--------------------------------------------------

Sorry about the long reply, But i redid her back area completely and added a few quirks,

Now that is cool! Proper Gundam like!

Those custom collective pitch designs are awesome but I've gotta ask, what's with the small control surfaces added to them for? Wouldn't KSP try and move them when you give a control input?

Pandoras Kitten will have to give you the reason they're added, but I suspect its to add slightly more lift. In terms of KSP trying to control them, control surfaces can actually be made to ignore all control input.

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

Those custom collective pitch designs are awesome but I've gotta ask, what's with the small control surfaces added to them for? Wouldn't KSP try and move them when you give a control input?

You actually could use them as servo tabs to control the aircraft. Back in 0.90 a rotary wing rocket design played well enough with FAR that it could dynamically change which control surfaces acted as pitch, roll or yaw control. Few people tried the craft as it was simply scary to watch.

For my helicopter projects I disabled their control surface functions for simplicity's sake. They add supplemental lift to the rotor design and allow for lifting larger loads with smaller rotor diameters; a little enginering evolution to compensate for grossly overweight Kerbal parts.

They also serve as fixed trim devices. By clicking on the V-44's servo tabs in SPH offset mode and hitting Space, they switch to a configuration that allows maximum rotor lift at the cost of being less stable in horizontal flight (again due to how the stock aero calculates lift vectors when running very coarse prop pitch).

The leaping monkeys have been satisfied.

Zodius, is there any chance that you will create an infernalrobotics fairing? One that can be opened through the robotics menu (like a flower), but also toggled to decouple panels? Since the stock system includes a procedural fairing, is it possible to implement this into the system?

Edited by Mekan1k

Zodius, is there any chance that you will create an infernalrobotics fairing? One that can be opened through the robotics menu (like a flower), but also toggled to decouple panels? Since the stock system includes a procedural fairing, is it possible to implement this into the system?

My first impression of this would be no. I could easily design parts for the job, but getting the plugins to work together so that the exclusion stuff works until you unfold (and then enable when you refold). For now I'll say that is beyond the scope of this mod.

Just a quick nitpicking session. Wonder if the ducted fans will get a slight performance increase over the open props. Don't have hard data right meow but ducted fans are purposely designed with the blade tips very close to the fairings for a thrust bonus.

Also I can't wait to stick those on an airliner design to test E-Fan concepts. One turbofan for power generation and several electric ducted fans for propulsion.

Just a quick nitpicking session. Wonder if the ducted fans will get a slight performance increase over the open props. Don't have hard data right meow but ducted fans are purposely designed with the blade tips very close to the fairings for a thrust bonus.

Considering ducked fans with variable pitch blades are not that common, I'll be using a bit of artistic license in that regard for the sake of maintaining the appearance of functionality. Ultimately I'll be balancing the parts thrust based on the kind of craft I'm intending to create with them. I'm hoping to get a lot of player feedback on this though once I've got the parts to the point of a pre-release.

Also I can't wait to stick those on an airliner design to test E-Fan concepts. One turbofan for power generation and several electric ducted fans for propulsion.

My intention is for these to be powered by fuel cells, but I guess that could be a viable option too :P, depending on their alternator output.

Will this do? :)

http://i.imgur.com/s8qu5Ea.png

(Blades are currently a copy of the larger Prop, but I may change them to add variety to the collection)

http://i.imgur.com/8w5yU2f.png

(Four around a 0.625m part, with the shortest RoboTube Lite's to extend them out)

Here's the main reference I used for this design

That's perfect! Also, I now have to find those counter-rotating motors in that picture.

You actually could use them as servo tabs to control the aircraft. Back in 0.90 a rotary wing rocket design played well enough with FAR that it could dynamically change which control surfaces acted as pitch, roll or yaw control. Few people tried the craft as it was simply scary to watch.

For my helicopter projects I disabled their control surface functions for simplicity's sake. They add supplemental lift to the rotor design and allow for lifting larger loads with smaller rotor diameters; a little enginering evolution to compensate for grossly overweight Kerbal parts.

They also serve as fixed trim devices. By clicking on the V-44's servo tabs in SPH offset mode and hitting Space, they switch to a configuration that allows maximum rotor lift at the cost of being less stable in horizontal flight (again due to how the stock aero calculates lift vectors when running very coarse prop pitch).

That makes sense. And I think I remember seeing that rotating wing craft before, was pretty wild.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.