[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

I'll maybe ask in the IR thread. Projection tests whether a joint has been bent outside its correct position or rotation by a certain amount and snaps it back if not. It's quite powerful.

No, not something I've had a chance to look at. I guess it might be possible to keep checking the dot product of each axis against something in the vessel and see if it's changed, but this seems... insane? Not really sure how to approach this, as it could lead to all sort of crazyness if not implemented correctly. The steering calculation stuff in KF is fairly hefty, so I wouldn't want to just force a recalc every tenth frame or whatever. Didn't you have to manually set something in the stock module to get it to work properly, or was that something else?

I'll maybe ask in the IR thread. Projection tests whether a joint has been bent outside its correct position or rotation by a certain amount and snaps it back if not. It's quite powerful.

I think Ziw has already seen your message so no real reason to post again in the main thread.

No, not something I've had a chance to look at. I guess it might be possible to keep checking the dot product of each axis against something in the vessel and see if it's changed, but this seems... insane? Not really sure how to approach this, as it could lead to all sort of crazyness if not implemented correctly. The steering calculation stuff in KF is fairly hefty, so I wouldn't want to just force a recalc every tenth frame or whatever. Didn't you have to manually set something in the stock module to get it to work properly, or was that something else?

No, the stock module does this automatically, every frame I suspect. All I had to do special with stock was change what it thought the forward axis was.

Cool. It's idle curiosity really! I did a bit of googling - there seems to have been a brief discussion a long while back, but not a lot more I can find. Feel free to shout me, Ziw, if you're listening in. I think you picked up IR recently IIRC, so f I can be of any help... I've played a lot with joints in my own meddling, although persistence and time warp issues have so far scuppered what I was trying to do.

I'll give it some thought, Zodius. Not completely straightforward, but I doubt it's insurmountable.

Cool. It's idle curiosity really! I did a bit of googling - there seems to have been a brief discussion a long while back, but not a lot more I can find. Feel free to shout me, Ziw, if you're listening in. I think you picked up IR recently IIRC, so f I can be of any help... I've played a lot with joints in my own meddling, although persistence and time warp issues have so far scuppered what I was trying to do.

I'll give it some thought, Zodius. Not completely straightforward, but I doubt it's insurmountable.

Hey Lofi, out of curiosity if this is about the hitch and time warp. I had a thought yesterday. BD made Burn Together.... In Burn Together you have two separate ships that are controlled in tandem. Now not exactly helpful yet but.... In Burn Together you can time warp with the two ships and they stay in specific spots. I recall BD having an issue like what you described where the vehicle and payload drifting apart and then slamming back together. He corrected this and his fix may be something that could help you out. Maybe not but it was an idea.

As it happens, yes. Thanks for the pointer, it's worth a look :D

Apologies for off topic! I'd imagine you may want to make some rework style models if I can get it to work, though ;)

Today I made sure my electric synchropter worked fine in 1.0.4. It does and the surveillance ability of a silent copter on 'whisper mode' should get the interest of "certain government agencies" :)

2cWpjB9.jpg

Speaking of tilt-rotors. I lost control of my V-44 testing new flight control system, 2 turbines got disabled but switched to electric mode and regained control just in time to ditch safely. Jeb went out to see what's wrong, took pics for the insurance company.

P1fpo6M.jpg

ZodiusInfuser, do you know if all the dependancies for the utility pack got updated yet?

Functionally, as in everything works, all of the dependencies are updated, the only one we're still technically waiting for is the new update for Kerbal Foundries.

Also, I had an idea earlier, what IR really needs is some sort of giant claw, I mean an actual articulating claw. No idea how well that would work as an individual part though.

Pardon me but I’m little confused here, but I thought this add-on (MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework) didn’t work with 1.0.4 yet according to the Kerbal Stuff, is there a patch? However it appears that Pandoras Kitten got it to work. Also is there a mod/Add-on that will add the Canadarm2’s End Effector with Lights (at least the look of it).

Thanks,

Do any of the parts allow fuel passage?

Not sure what you mean. In stock KSP, you can transfer fuel across any parts, but it will only automatically be drawn across parts with fuelCrossFeed = true. All IR parts have fuelCrossFeed = false either by default or actually specified in the config.

Pardon me but I’m little confused here, but I thought this add-on (MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework) didn’t work with 1.0.4 yet according to the Kerbal Stuff, is there a patch? However it appears that Pandoras Kitten got it to work. Also is there a mod/Add-on that will add the Canadarm2’s End Effector with Lights (at least the look of it).

Thanks,

The parts themselves just need the main IR update (except for some of the Utility Pack). KSP 1.0 was unusual in that it broke parts mods, but the patches since then haven't.

Also, you might check out the list of Other Mods that use Infernal Robotics in the main thread. There's RKE Canadarm with the part your looking for.

I ran into what appears to be a bug last night. I want to send up a bunch of IR parts to my space station via KIS and then assemble a robotic arm via KAS. I tested on the launch pad first and it's a good thing I did. I found that when I attached a "joint" part that should be able to rotate from -90 to 90, it would only rotate from 0 to 90. I then edited the craft in the VAB to include the joint part on the craft exterior from the beginning, and that one works fine (-90 to 90). But again, if I take a part out of inventory and bolt it to the side of the craft, it only goes from 0 to 90. Am I doing something wrong?

So with the utilitron package being kaput for the time being.... what does that leave us to use for end effectors?

The magnet works fine without alteration with the latest KSP and KAS, the Grasper needs to have a module changed from GrapplingHook to Harpoon, and the LandingFoot works without issue. The only one that may have problems is the Surface Sampler as that uses a custom plugin (I have a 1.0.3 version locally but not a 1.0.4). Also, the Movatrons work without issue.

I will eventually return to update the mod I swear.

I'm having some texture issues.

http://i.imgur.com/NWGvj6H.jpg

Everything installed through CKAN, so it should all be in the right spot. No other mod is having issues. Any other ideas as to what I've done wrong?

did you read this?

All my parts appear black! This is caused by the Active Texture Management mod, which is having a few issues with KSP 1.0.x. The devs are aware of the issue and will hopefully come back with a fix soon. In the meantime this has been suggested as a possible solution: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...=1#post1902110. If that does not work then pester the ATM devs over in their release thread to get it sorted:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...ement-Save-RAM!

found on the first page ;)

In general, straightness and simple solution. :(

For those who have problems with the ATM (only !!!).

1) Download the file https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20401633/KSP%20MODS/Temporary/MSI%20ATM%20EDT/Parts.zip

2) Remove the cache from MSI in ATM dir. (Path - ".\GameData\ActiveTextureManagement\textureCache\MagicSmokeIndustries")

3) Extract the files in the MSI (!!!) directory ".\GameData\MagicSmokeIndustries" - here.

4) Wait recreate cache ATM for MSI.

4) All the works.

I hope that works in the ATM cache similar texture.

This works fine for me. Thank you for sharing that.

This works fine for me. Thank you for sharing that.

Note that this method removes the texture sharing method I implemented so will make the parts use more RAM than necessary.

Which parts make the best legs for walkers?

There's an example in the IR Trailer that uses the Foldatron parts for legs, but for further inspiration maybe check out this youtube channel.

Note that this method removes the texture sharing method I implemented so will make the parts use more RAM than necessary.

There's an example in the IR Trailer that uses the Foldatron parts for legs, but for further inspiration maybe check out this youtube channel.

This channel is pretty good. Thanks for the link :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.