[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

Hi All,

I had a fair bit of time today to revisit this mod and see what's left to be done. There are a few things left but overall it's looking in pretty good shape. As such I thought I would put a v02 pre-release out for you all to play with :D

v02 Pre-Release - Alpha

This download contains all the updated parts and the new ones I recently pre-released. Note that foldatrons and active struts are absent as I need to spend a few more days on them. It would be great if you could try this out in a fresh KSP install (along with the latest IR) and see if there's any major problems I need to address that I've probably missed.

Thanks and Enjoy!

P.S I totally didn't rush this out because Das Valdez is doing an IR stream later today :P

4 hours ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

Hi All,

I had a fair bit of time today to revisit this mod and see what's left to be done. There are a few things left but overall it's looking in pretty good shape. As such I thought I would put a v02 pre-release out for you all to play with :D

v02 Pre-Release - Alpha

This download contains all the updated parts and the new ones I recently pre-released. Note that foldatrons and active struts are absent as I need to spend a few more days on them. It would be great if you could try this out in a fresh KSP install (along with the latest IR) and see if there's any major problems I need to address that I've probably missed.

Thanks and Enjoy!

P.S I totally didn't rush this out because Das Valdez is doing an IR stream later today :P

What's wrong with the foldatrons? And yeah, I'm still getting that exception with the activestruts.

Checking it out though. :)

8 hours ago, smjjames said:

What's wrong with the foldatrons? And yeah, I'm still getting that exception with the activestruts.

Checking it out though. :)

The collisions on them no longer work in KSP 1.0, meaning they fall through the floor. It's not a hard thing to fix, just time consuming.

As for the active struts, that's missing from that download as I need to double check if that exception was resolved. Remind me what the situation was to reproduce it.

21 minutes ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

The collisions on them no longer work in KSP 1.0, meaning they fall through the floor. It's not a hard thing to fix, just time consuming.

As for the active struts, that's missing from that download as I need to double check if that exception was resolved. Remind me what the situation was to reproduce it.

It happens the first time you go to a craft (or into the tracking station) or launch a craft when you start up KSP and it only happens that one time and in order to reproduce it again you have to completely exit KSP and restart. Also, it shows up regardless whether you actually have the activestruts part on the craft or not.

Edited by smjjames

6 minutes ago, smjjames said:

It happens the first time you go to a craft (or into the tracking station) or launch a craft when you start up KSP and it only happens that one time and in order to reproduce it again you have to completely exit KSP and restart. Also, it shows up regardless whether you actually have the activestruts part on the craft or not.

And is that with a part on an active craft at all?

16 minutes ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

And is that with a part on an active craft at all?

No, it'll show up with no IR parts on a craft at all. Lemme re-reproduce it though because I've basically been ignoring it for a while now.

Edit: Yeah, best way to reproduce is to launch a ship (stock even) from either the pad or runway. You still have to completely exit and restart if you want to generate the error again

Edited by smjjames

2 hours ago, Tricky14 said:

I'm looking for an uncontrolled hinge with a limitation of 180 degrees. Would there be a chance to obtain that here? :(

Unfortunately not. Due to the way uncontrolled joints are implemented it is not possible for them to also have limits engaged as well.

On 12/8/2015, 1:40:54, ZodiusInfuser said:

I've taken the liberty to whip up some loose CKAN files for the v02 alpha release, based off the older ones in the CKAN repository. I've briefly tested them on a cleaned install, and I could be missing a dependency or two. I've updated the dependencies to KSP 1.0.5 and IR 0.21.4 (available from CKAN's main repo).

I did this because I have a strict ckan-only policy, but I love fiddling with the new bits.

I added these to my main install (replacing the v01b bits), and my base still exists, and the models look fine. However, no guarantees. Use at your own risk.

Download: http://we.tl/r492SATxY6

You can install these manually through the CKAN GUI (I don't think it's possible via command line, unfortunately) via "File" -> "Install from .ckan...". Make sure you install one package at a time, starting with the Core one.

If anything seems broken, please test with a manually installed version first, and on a clean install.

macTijn, Since this is a pre-release I would rather there not be a CKAN definition for it (especially because it's all 3 combined packs). You are welcome to use it yourself if you are set on using CKAN for mod installing, but I certainly do not want it added to the main CKAN database and will not be providing support for it.

Also, your timing couldn't have been worse, because...

--------------------------------------------------

v02 Pre-Release - Beta 

This version adds in the fixed Foldatrons and a 1.0.5 version of the active struts that seems to be behaving fine in my testing. This is all of the existing parts of the mod updated, so the next step is to finish up some of my WIP parts such as the rails I've previously shown off.

Thanks and Enjoy!

5 hours ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

macTijn, Since this is a pre-release I would rather there not be a CKAN definition for it (especially because it's all 3 combined packs). You are welcome to use it yourself if you are set on using CKAN for mod installing, but I certainly do not want it added to the main CKAN database and will not be providing support for it.

No worries, I have no intention whatsoever to add this to NetKan or any other database. This is just for those kerbalists who don't really like to deal with all the manual unzipping, like me. Did you know that OSX has no way to merge folders in Finder? it's terrible at best.

5 hours ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

Also, your timing couldn't have been worse, because...

D'oh! Oh well, I'm not going to burn myself on this one. It would be harder to package, as it includes a KerbalFoundries dll, which is not available yet for 1.0.5 on CKAN, so I'd have to package my own version for that too and I'm waaaaay too lazy for that.

Anyway, Thank you so much, I'm a big fan of your work. This mod is amazeballs.

According to Murphy's law, bugs will be discovered next second after official release :0.0:

I have little time for KSP in general lately, otherwise I would offer help with testing and feedback. I will try it as soon as my free time allows it, but it should not be reason to postpone release. Everyone appreciate such dedication for testing prior release, unfortunately there is always small chance that some bug slip in unnoticed.

15 hours ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

No problem :)

So, I assume this pre-release is all fine then since nobody is sending me bug reports (particularly about the active struts) :P

Checking on the activestruts thing soon.

edit: Fixed for sure. Checked on a stripped down branchoff a few times as well to be sure, including a craft with robostrut parts on it.

Edited by smjjames

Does anyone want to test a new non-robotics part I've made? It's a surface attachable Probe Core with IR Sequencer and kOS support. The idea of having a dedicated part for this was raised over in the sequencer thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/104547-105-ir-sequencer-v05-add-on-to-infernal-robotics-updated-10072015

_9d248f63888d4ca1baa2b747def62b64

In terms of this part, I suspect the parameters will need balancing a bit to not make it OP compared to the existing KSP probe cores, so any suggestions on that would be appreciated. Here's the download:

IR-1 Robotics Control Unit - Alpha

Thanks!

P.S Who can guess what the design is based on? :P

1 minute ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

You're behind the times, they're on to the "EV3" now :P (which is what I modelled that part after)

I did so much with my 2 RCX's back in the day! They're one of the many reasons I got in to robotics research, another was Johnny 5 :)

Finally somebody that actually knows who Johnny 5 was :)

(And not the guitarist from rob zombie)

@ZodiusInfuser i am suggesting that the probes act on a OS (kinda like windows) where after a research node is researched... the os's it self magically upgrades itself... sounds weird that in my book does the trick ;)

wait.. that looks like lego mindstorms controller.... am i right zodius? :)

Edited by Joshwoo69

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.