[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

Found a visual bug in the v02 pre-release beta.  not sure if here's where to post it or not. I see it on the extendatrons right angles (i didn't look a the straight ones) both full and half. When I placed the part using either of the two straight attachment nodes, not the 90* node, the wrong half of the part moves when actuated, however the actual nodes and anything attached to it behaves correctly. it seems to be just the visuals thats messed up.  I made a short video to demonstrate it, however I can't seem to upload it. heres a picture kind of showing whats happening http://i.imgur.com/E3gJoms.png. the extendatron is attached to the root part on one of the end nodes, so the long part should stay stationary and the 90* angle should move relative to the root and stay stationary relative to the attached moving nosecone.  the opposite is happening and the and the angle piece stay stationary to the root while the long piece moves.  this only happens when attached at either end.  the part works correctly when the angle piece is attached to the preceding part.

Edited by daswooshie

2 hours ago, daswooshie said:

Found a visual bug in the v02 pre-release beta.  not sure if here's where to post it or not. I see it on the extendatrons right angles (i didn't look a the straight ones) both full and half. When I placed the part using either of the two straight attachment nodes, not the 90* node, the wrong half of the part moves when actuated, however the actual nodes and anything attached to it behaves correctly. it seems to be just the visuals thats messed up.  I made a short video to demonstrate it, however I can't seem to upload it. heres a picture kind of showing whats happening http://i.imgur.com/E3gJoms.png. the extendatron is attached to the root part on one of the end nodes, so the long part should stay stationary and the 90* angle should move relative to the root and stay stationary relative to the attached moving nosecone.  the opposite is happening and the and the angle piece stay stationary to the root while the long piece moves.  this only happens when attached at either end.  the part works correctly when the angle piece is attached to the preceding part.

If I'm not mistaken you've placed the part on wrong. You should only attach parts to your craft via the node that's indicated by the yellow and black arrow markers, if you don't then the part won't move as expected. If I am mistaken please try uploading the video again. if its short you can send it to Gfycat.

Edit:

10 hours ago, Joshwoo69 said:

@ZodiusInfuser i am suggesting that the probes act on a OS (kinda like windows) where after a research node is researched... the os's it self magically upgrades itself... sounds weird that in my book does the trick ;)

wait.. that looks like lego mindstorms controller.... am i right zodius? :)

I'm not sure what you're meaning by the first point. I have put the part late on in the tech tree, but I don't plan to do any code to allow upgrades.

Yep it is, specifically this controller:

45500?$main$

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

Since I have a bit of free time over this Christmas break, I've been working on finishing up some of my remaining part ideas for the Model Rework v02. Here's a preview of a new part I've just finished modelling inspired by the Curiosity rover. Say hello to the Utilitron - Observer!

_b26d8a4689a04264b7183b27056462c5

This will be another science part for the mod, letting you take EVA reports without needing a Kerbal. I will also add in some Hullcam VDS configs for it as well as a light source since none of the stock lights are small enough to go well with this.

In terms of the Hullcams I would be open to suggestions on what to do for this (i'm not familiar with all the options). My general thought was to give it a zoomable camera up where the telescope section is (is that possible?), and maybe a wide angle one down where the stereoscopic cameras are meant to be. Or I could just have one and say the other is for the science capture. I am open to suggestions :)

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Edit: Anyone familiar with making Firespitter propeller engines? I may as well work on finishing those parts up once I'm done with this one ;)

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but:

- is it possible to create a suspension arm/piston? Something that behaves like a normal suspension. I tried to copy the suspension code lines from the stock landing legs to a copy of an extendatron, but it didn't work...

- when will the option to lower/raise those big wheels on the right be available?

4hlVCOy.png

1 hour ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

Since I have a bit of free time over this Christmas break, I've been working on finishing up some of my remaining part ideas for the Model Rework v02. Here's a preview of a new part I've just finished modelling inspired by the Curiosity rover. Say hello to the Utilitron - Observer!

That looks great! Really Digging the new non IR parts you've been teasing us with.

1 hour ago, PCanas said:

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but:

- is it possible to create a suspension arm/piston? Something that behaves like a normal suspension. I tried to copy the suspension code lines from the stock landing legs to a copy of an extendatron, but it didn't work...

- when will the option to lower/raise those big wheels on the right be available?

1: You can play about with the spring forces on the extendatron but that will prevent limits from working (OK for rotational parts but bad for pistons). You certainly cannot add the landing gear code and expect it to work.

2. Only when Squad add the ability to their wheels in 1.1 (if indeed they are)

2 hours ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

1: You can play about with the spring forces on the extendatron but that will prevent limits from working (OK for rotational parts but bad for pistons). You certainly cannot add the landing gear code and expect it to work.

So playing with the spring values is not good for pistons? Or it just messes with limits? My idea was to extend a piston and expect it to work like a normal car suspension.

6 hours ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

In terms of the Hullcams I would be open to suggestions on what to do for this (i'm not familiar with all the options). My general thought was to give it a zoomable camera up where the telescope section is (is that possible?), and maybe a wide angle one down where the stereoscopic cameras are meant to be. Or I could just have one and say the other is for the science capture. I am open to suggestions :)zodious

Zodious, the hullcam cfg's are actually pretty easy. And yes you can have a zoom of which you can choose the angle and zoom level. If you need a hand just let me know.

1 hour ago, PCanas said:

So playing with the spring values is not good for pistons? Or it just messes with limits? My idea was to extend a piston and expect it to work like a normal car suspension.

If you set spring values other than the default then that means that if you apply a force to the piston it will likely go outside its 0 to 2.1m range. This is why there's no free moving piston as there's no force to keep it within range or even at the position you request.

If you're curious I would suggest you have a play around with the piston CFG (the variables to change are at the bottom of the files). There may be a set of values that works well for your situation, but I doubt it will work for all. I'd love to hear your findings though.

49 minutes ago, V8jester said:

Zodious, the hullcam cfg's are actually pretty easy. And yes you can have a zoom of which you can choose the angle and zoom level. If you need a hand just let me know.

Cool, one I get the part set up I'll be in touch :) 

1 hour ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

If you set spring values other than the default then that means that if you apply a force to the piston it will likely go outside its 0 to 2.1m range. This is why there's no free moving piston as there's no force to keep it within range or even at the position you request.

If you're curious I would suggest you have a play around with the piston CFG (the variables to change are at the bottom of the files). There may be a set of values that works well for your situation, but I doubt it will work for all. I'd love to hear your findings though.

jointSpring = x
jointDamping = x

These? Made a quick test (it's late here, about 1am), changed both values to 5, droped a crew pod with fuel tank for mass from about 4/5m high with extendatrons extended... nothing happened. I gues the Dampening is the "resistance" to the Spring, right? So if I set both values the same, they cancel each other?

Will try again tomorrow ;)

I have a problem with this expansion. So the problem is i have installed the Rework parts v02 Beta and the MSI IR and when i opened KSP the rework parts that shown is only the utility Parts (Like the misc and Structural) Only. Can i know why?

1 hour ago, giga said:

I have a problem with this expansion. So the problem is i have installed the Rework parts v02 Beta and the MSI IR and when i opened KSP the rework parts that shown is only the utility Parts (Like the misc and Structural) Only. Can i know why?

Did you install the Infernal robotics mod? Do you see a Robotic icon category on the left of the editor?

On December 14, 2015 at 2:45 AM, ZodiusInfuser said:

No problem :)

So, I assume this pre-release is all fine then since nobody is sending me bug reports (particularly about the active struts) :P

Zodious, I have a slight bug for ya. Setup an action group to toggle the link from a grapeler to a target, launch, toggles just fine. Revert to space station launch a second craft. Switch to the craft with active struts and the toggle nolonger functions.

2 hours ago, V8jester said:

Zodious, I have a slight bug for ya. Setup an action group to toggle the link from a grapeler to a target, launch, toggles just fine. Revert to space station launch a second craft. Switch to the craft with active struts and the toggle nolonger functions.

Second craft is from the same .craft file or different?

I got a problem with the winge. I'm trying to attach a fuel tank to it thats rather large in comparison and I need the winge to reposition the fuel tank for my design. It's also ment to be decoupled. Now I know decoupling is bugged and all but I read a reply of someone earlier in this thread that putting a small fuel tank between the decoupler and the winge should solve the problem.

It does work with this method,

The vehicle is ment to be a carrier stage to orbit for Eve. But the rigidness of the winge connector to the fuel tank is very weak. Whenever I use the rocket the fuel tanks attached to the winge start to move. Thus so does the radial decoupler and the Big fuel tank thats attached to it. They do not snap off, but they do mess up the engine thrust direction which has to be installed on that particular fuel tank for TWR reasons.

I could use struts but I'm relying on Kerbal Joint reinforcement because I hate large part count and this is a Eve ascent vehicle design so I was hoping whether anybody could tell me if the connection strength from the hinge to the fuel tank is editable in a config file, because I looked in the name of my spacecraft.craft file and also in the part file for the winge and can't find a line for altering that setting. If it exists.

Edited by Vaporized Steel

1 minute ago, Vaporized Steel said:

I got a problem with the winge. I'm trying to attach a fuel tank to it thats rather large in comparison and I need the winge to reposition the fuel tank for my design. It's ment to be a carrier stage to orbit. But the rigidness of the winge connector to the fuel tank is very weak. Whenever I use the rocket the fuel tanks attached to the winge start to move. They do not snap off, but they do mess up engine thrust and stability.

I could use struts but I'm relying on Kerbal Joint reinforcement because I hate large part count and this is a Eve ascent vehicle design so I was hoping whether anybody could tell me if the connection strength from the hinge to the fuel tank is editable in a config file, because I looked in the name of my spacecraft.craft file and also in the part file for the winge and can't find a line for altering that setting. If it exists.

Joint strength is tied to mass so upping the mass of the hinge(?) you are using is the only option outside of struts. No magic configs edit possible.

1 hour ago, Ziw said:

Second craft is from the same .craft file or different?

oh sorry let me try that again

setup ship 1 with action grout to toggle struts in hanger.

launch ship 1 - works as expected

revert to hanger load and launch ship 2

upon launch switch back to ship 1 with both ships in flight and action group no longer works

47 minutes ago, V8jester said:

oh sorry let me try that again

setup ship 1 with action grout to toggle struts in hanger.

launch ship 1 - works as expected

revert to hanger load and launch ship 2

upon launch switch back to ship 1 with both ships in flight and action group no longer works

Ok, but can you operate it via right click menu? 

1 hour ago, Ziw said:

Please show a screenshot of your GameData/MagicSmokeIndustries/Parts folder and your log.

The Ksp log?

Or maybe you can give me some installation guides?

Edited by giga

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.