[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

11 hours ago, victor tan said:

Is there anyway I can tweak the config files to adjust the uncontrolled joint pivotrons? I'm working on some complex designs and it would be infinitely easier if I was able to adjust their starting angle in the Editor.

It is the IR issue to be fixed in next release, but it is coming after 1.1

Edited by Ziw

i see the robotics tab on the side and it only has the things from infernal robotics ( gantry, hydraulic cylinder and other stuff) but none of the rework stuff is in that tab. at the bottom right hand corner when i'm in the SPH or VAB theres a robotic arm icon that allows me to control rototron rotations and stuff.

44 minutes ago, flipperstar3745 said:

i see the robotics tab on the side and it only has the things from infernal robotics ( gantry, hydraulic cylinder and other stuff) but none of the rework stuff is in that tab. at the bottom right hand corner when i'm in the SPH or VAB theres a robotic arm icon that allows me to control rototron rotations and stuff.

When you installed the rework pack. You didn't happen to drop "GameData" into the GameData folder did you? It should just be the MagicSmokeIndustries folder. So if you open (KSP/GameData) you do not see another GameData folder in there right?

48 minutes ago, flipperstar3745 said:

Try it this way:

On 27/12/2015 at 1:11 PM, PCanas said:

This is how I have it, and works fine:

GameData/MagicSmokeIndustries/Parts/Rework_***

First install the normal IR, it creates its own Parts folder, than just unzip the model roeworks into that parts folder. Should work...

1 hour ago, Kerban Aircraft Industries said:

I have a problem.

The IR icon doesn't appear on the toolbar in editors OR during flight. That renders ALL IR parts I add onto an aircraft unusable (and thus useless).

If there's a fix, please reply to this message!

Most likely something is wrong with your IR install. 

1 hour ago, flipperstar3745 said:

ok. i have everything now ! apart from foldatrons and the grappeling strut things. also in the SPH or VAB in the bottom right i have a blank white tab that doesn't do anything.

Post a screenshot please

White square is not IR related, most likely some other mod. As for Foldatrons: post a screenshot of your GameData/MagicSmokeIndustries/Parts folder. Most likely you misplaced them. Make sure you use the lates beta release for proper 1.05 compatibility. It was posted in this thread by Zodius couple pages ago.

18 minutes ago, flipperstar3745 said:

ermagurd !!! it works i finally have everything working !!! thank you ! ( im really bad at installing mods:(

We all were where you are now. It takes time to figure everything out. Just ask lots of questions, but be as specific as you can. And remember, screenshots help a lot for some of the harder to explain stuff.

I found a quite nice way to use Rotatrons to do actual science in combination with any onboard cam!

1. Create a straight line of n structural parts with a known length l - Robo-Truss-Pro 5m are recommended.
  2. Add a rotatron snapping to each end
  3. Turn both of them so they are 90° to the truss
  4. Turn them, so their 0 is both pointing to the middle
  5. Invert the rotation of one of them, this is b, the other is a
  6. Engage limits on both, -90 to 90
  7. Add a structral part to each of them (I like to use the Astroid Day IR Camera)
  8. Add an external camera at the same height on both, facing inward
  9. Build a structural beam sideways and then add the Triangonometric truss to it
  10. Add a right-angle inverse mounted rotatron to the ship - Direction
  11. connect another right-angle inverse mounted rotatron to Direction - The Elevation, invert it
  12. Congrats, you designed a triangulation machine! To use enter IVA, choose "external camera" on your screens, zoom in, turn the rotatrons to focus on the same position! Use Direction and Elevation rotatrons to get the right spot into the camera.
  13. To get the distance: D=n*l*(sin(a)*sin(b)/sin(a+b))

http://imgur.com/a/jf7zA

In my picture stream I did a little trick: I set one of the rotatrons to 90 in aiming at the upper right corner of the VAB's roof access (and mislabeled the elevation as Azimuth...) 10m*sin(b)/sin(90+b) with b=89.1 results in that being D=639.567 m away with an elevation of 8.74.

For higher Precision take a more beams to seperate the rotatrons. Or take seperated pods and take the base distance between them and make sure they look straight at each other. Or amp that up to 11 and build an Interferrometer - several pods, all with a common 0 (notth) placed in some kilometer distance and aiming up to the sky, measuring the angles of the different stars.. Though... We need to be able to make the rotatrons scaleable to 2.5m diameter, so they look cooler when aiming large (radio) telescope constructions up to the sky!

Zodius, is it possible to add a "lock" command to an uncontrolled joint? I am using two uncontrolled pivotrons clocked 90deg off each other for a trailer hitch. One for trailer pivot the other for steering. The issue is when you disconnect them (using RKE PDGF "docking ports") I can use quantum struts to hold them still bit for some reason one of the struts will not function after a reload. I could have something else going on. Just realized that craft doesn't have a battery.... Anyway back to my point. It would be outstanding to be able to lock an uncontrolled Pivitron on a toggle.

15 hours ago, V8jester said:

Zodius, is it possible to add a "lock" command to an uncontrolled joint? I am using two uncontrolled pivotrons clocked 90deg off each other for a trailer hitch. One for trailer pivot the other for steering. The issue is when you disconnect them (using RKE PDGF "docking ports") I can use quantum struts to hold them still bit for some reason one of the struts will not function after a reload. I could have something else going on. Just realized that craft doesn't have a battery.... Anyway back to my point. It would be outstanding to be able to lock an uncontrolled Pivitron on a toggle.

You should've posted it in the IR thread, but don't worry - this will be in the next IR update (alongside many other features). Although it might not be soon.

6 hours ago, Ziw said:

You should've posted it in the IR thread, but don't worry - this will be in the next IR update (alongside many other features). Although it might not be soon.

Thanks Ziw. Yeah I thought about that after I had posted that. Well if IR has proven anything, it's that it's worth waiting for. Looking forward to seeing what you guys have done. (When that time comes)

How do I make the rotatron part bigger? Like 3.75m size or bigger? Because I have an idea to use it on the craft in the screenshot below to rotate the airbrakes instead of having to hold down q or e, but I'd like to have the rotatron be 3.75m to match the profile of the craft.

Strategia2%20career_screenshot_2016-02-1

2 hours ago, smjjames said:

How do I make the rotatron part bigger? Like 3.75m size or bigger? Because I have an idea to use it on the craft in the screenshot below to rotate the airbrakes instead of having to hold down q or e, but I'd like to have the rotatron be 3.75m to match the profile of the craft.

When you want huge IR parts.

Copy the cfg for the part you want supersized. Place this new cfg in the same place you copied it from. In the copied cfg change it's part name as well as description name so you make a "new" part.

Then change the line scale=1 to something larger like 3

Play with that and you will have custom enormous IR parts

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.