[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

15 minutes ago, smjjames said:

What if I want a big part while keeping the smaller version?

Dude... c'mon...

He said "copy" the part's cfg file. He also said "change it's part name as well as description name so you make a "new" part". This measn you keep the original part (smaller) and create a new one (bigger) ;) 

Btw, don't expect there to be a version on SpaceDock any time soon. Since I was working on the v02 pre-release and people can download it from my cloud store, there's no point me putting the older versions on there. I have registered an account to claim my name though :P

This is great! Is there a user manual for this? I just want to know how to attach the parts to make a section of the craft rotate indefinitely. Also would it be possible to make super large rotators? like 10m in diameter large?

On 19/02/2016 at 4:53 AM, SpaceBadger007 said:

Sorry im a little lost but i have the normal ir mod installed (the 1.0.5 version) and if i install the link at the top of the first post i should have these reworked parts on 1.0.5? 

That is correct :)

13 hours ago, EricSan said:

This is great! Is there a user manual for this? I just want to know how to attach the parts to make a section of the craft rotate indefinitely. Also would it be possible to make super large rotators? like 10m in diameter large?

Unfortunately, there is not a user manual, The best we have is this video from the: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzVC6w6kj3w

There is a large rotatron in the legacy parts, but only 2.5m. If you want a 10m one your best bet is to copy the CFG of the large one, rename it, and scale it up.

1 hour ago, Chicken_Cabbage said:

Was about to ask where i can get it other than KS. But, if it's now available as the only source of the updated version of the mod, wouldn't that make it not- pre-release? :)

Its the pre-release of v02, it's not my fault you can no longer get v01 :P.

In any case, the reason I haven't changed it from a pre-release to a release is because there are still parts I wish to add to the pack, but unfortunately haven't had time to work on due to my IRL robotics research taking up most of my time.

Edit: On the plus side, I now have real Mecanum wheels to play so won't be as bothered by KSP 1.1 breaking my in-game versions, which will almost certainly happen :P

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

• 2 weeks later...

What do you mean? If you're asking if I have anything special planned for when 1.1 releases then no. I still have parts I want to finish for the v02 release of this mod, but those have been put on hold due to my IRL commitments, and it's unlikely I will get chance to finish them until the summer.

OK so... these parts are definitely better than the original IR parts :)  I'm still having trouble lifting a 200-300 ton cargo container with the grappler or the magnets, however.  I think it'd be awesome if the electromagnet part's lifting power was proportional to the amount of power applied to it.  For example if I have an antimatter reactor connected I should be able to lift this container no problem... but even with 4 magnets or 4 grapplers it just... can't hold on to that much weight.  Does this suggestion have merit?  or is this a KAS issue?

That suggestion does have merit, but as you guessed it needs to be directed to the KAS devs. My magnet just uses their code without any modification.

@Kerbalmann, that is odd. The link does indeed include the expansion and utility parts. Did you search for the Utilitron parts under the Utility tab?

OK, oddness #2: Installed reworked parts, launched KSP.. EVERYTHING IS AMAZING.  Exited KSP.  Loaded it again.  Now all new parts have all-black textures.  Using ActiveTextureManagement, if that's relevant; don't see anything in the logs indicating a problem.  It worked *once* and now it isn't.  I'm going to try deleting the ATM cache data but... might have an issue here with ATM(?) so I thought I'd bring it up on the forum.

3 hours ago, ss8913 said:

OK so... these parts are definitely better than the original IR parts :)  I'm still having trouble lifting a 200-300 ton cargo container with the grappler or the magnets, however.  I think it'd be awesome if the electromagnet part's lifting power was proportional to the amount of power applied to it.  For example if I have an antimatter reactor connected I should be able to lift this container no problem... but even with 4 magnets or 4 grapplers it just... can't hold on to that much weight.  Does this suggestion have merit?  or is this a KAS issue?

Hey man, Quantum struts or Active struts can really increase your load capacity. Sometimes you just need to science the .... Out of it ;)

If you want to bounce some design ideas around, feel free to jump over Here

8 minutes ago, V8jester said:

Hey man, Quantum struts or Active struts can really increase your load capacity. Sometimes you just need to science the .... Out of it ;)

If you want to bounce some design ideas around, feel free to jump over Here

I'll take a look - however it's the strength of the magnet itself that's the problem.  I think I may have found the parameters in the magnet's part config to fix that, but still needs testing.  Also I think I've given up on wheels entirely until 1.1;  drive a container/rover back into my cargo plane's cargo bay.. re-dock with the docking port in the back of the jet.. and suddenly the wheel sink through the bottom of the cargo bay.  Makes no sense and I can't explain it.. and sometimes it violently detaches at this point and sends the 200t wheeled container flipping through the air, and it then promptly lands on the plane and *everything explodes*.  Physics with wheels are seriously seriously broken.

9 hours ago, ss8913 said:

Also I think I've given up on wheels entirely until 1.1;  drive a container/rover back into my cargo plane's cargo bay.. re-dock with the docking port in the back of the jet.. and suddenly the wheel sink through the bottom of the cargo bay.  Makes no sense and I can't explain it.. and sometimes it violently detaches at this point and sends the 200t wheeled container flipping through the air, and it then promptly lands on the plane and *everything explodes*.  Physics with wheels are seriously seriously broken.

This is to do with how KSP itself works. Parts DO NOT have collision with each other when they are part of the same vessel, only with other vessels. When you dock 2 vessels together, to you and me, we see 2 vessels connected together. But to KSP, the game sees 1 vessel in total. The game combines both vessels into 1 until you undock them. This is why the wheels fall through the floor. Your rover is a heavy part that is now only supported by the docking port connection.

1 way you could work around this is to use the winch from KAS to lift the rover back in, then attach struts either with kerbals or use either robo-struts or quantum struts (different mod). Personally I like to use multiple winches in my cargo bay on all sides of my rover as tie-down points and just leave out the docking port. This method allows me to have a load that is not perfectly aligned  and can shift a little if I'm not careful how I "strap it down". For me it's more fun but in the end it comes down to what you want for yourself in terms of design and how you load up your cargo.

Edit: Almost forgot, If you use the winch as I do make sure to connect it Undocked. It's listed as an option in the right-click menu when you have a kerbal close to it. This makes the game keep them as 2 vessels. the only problem with this is that you need to disconnect all of your winches before you switch vessels or else when you come back the winches will be broken and unusable. This also applies to leaving the game completely. I think it has something to do with how the game saves things but I'm not 100% on that.

Edited by lazaruz76
added information

12 hours ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

That suggestion does have merit, but as you guessed it needs to be directed to the KAS devs. My magnet just uses their code without any modification.

@Kerbalmann, that is odd. The link does indeed include the expansion and utility parts. Did you search for the Utilitron parts under the Utility tab?

Can you point me to the newest model re-work version?

@ZodiusInfuser

I looked under utility tab and could not find the ultitron. I check from the dowloaded folder and in my ksp folder there is no file for ultitron. Is there something I did wrong perhaps ?  The downloaded file is called: "IR Model Rework - v02 Pre-Release Beta"

I sort of figure it out what the problem is.

The link in the OP leads to this link (which doesnt contain ultitron part) - the beta part

https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pli/IR%20Model%20Rework%20-%20v02%20Pre-Release%20Beta.zip/_0f575063a6e64e46b951a31b6978519e

While there is another link that inlcudes that part: - the alpha part

https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pli/IR%20Model%20Rework%20-%20v02%20Pre-Release%20Alpha.zip/_78ff4f5bc4914d99aab7ec92b495fd7d

Edited by Kerbalmann

1 hour ago, DankPepeDealer said:

Love the way the parts look. Looks nice and fits well. Now just gotta figure out how to make a robotic arm, then fit it into my space shuttle.

6 posts oh ho, fresh meat!

Welcome to the forums :)

If you run into problems, one of us will be more than happy to help you get an arm working. IR can be a bit of a learning curve. But it's well worth the effort.

5 hours ago, Kerbalmann said:

@ZodiusInfuser

I looked under utility tab and could not find the ultitron. I check from the dowloaded folder and in my ksp folder there is no file for ultitron. Is there something I did wrong perhaps ?  The downloaded file is called: "IR Model Rework - v02 Pre-Release Beta"

I sort of figure it out what the problem is.

The link in the OP leads to this link (which doesnt contain ultitron part) - the beta part

https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pli/IR%20Model%20Rework%20-%20v02%20Pre-Release%20Beta.zip/_0f575063a6e64e46b951a31b6978519e

While there is another link that inlcudes that part: - the alpha part

https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pli/IR%20Model%20Rework%20-%20v02%20Pre-Release%20Alpha.zip/_78ff4f5bc4914d99aab7ec92b495fd7d

I've just checked and that download from the OP definitely contains the Utilitron parts (under GameData\MagicSmokeIndustries\Parts\Rework_Utility\Probe\Misc). Not sure why its not showing up for you. Can you confirm that you have a folder in that location and it contains four sub folders?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.