[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

1 hour ago, SpaceBadger007 said:

In progress in the 1.1 pre-release?

Most parts, except wheels, landing legs and exotic parts (like Surface Sampler) do work in 1.1 with relevant version of IR.

Wheels and legs though will have to wait for 1.1 to becomes stable and maybe Kerbal Foundries mod is updated. 

On 4/18/2016 at 3:56 PM, Ziw said:

Most parts, except wheels, landing legs and exotic parts (like Surface Sampler) do work in 1.1 with relevant version of IR.

Wheels and legs though will have to wait for 1.1 to becomes stable and maybe Kerbal Foundries mod is updated. 

What is Kerbal Foundries used for?

1 hour ago, SpaceBadger007 said:

In 1.1 with the latest version of ir will the link at the top still work? Or is there going to be a newer version of this mod soon?

Most parts from top link still work. You should avoid wheels, landing legs and exotic parts (like Surface Sampler). In 1.1 you should use new version of IR, you can get one here https://github.com/MagicSmokeIndustries/InfernalRobotics/releases

Since I confused Ziw with ZodiusInfuser, I'm gonna repost some ideas for parts and other gadgets here:

Foldatron - inset hinge

Basically a hinge foldatron with both ends in the form factor of insets, offset the same way as the normal hinge. Foldability factor: over 9000 :wink:

Extendatron-truss

A dual-rail truss that extends like an extendatron.

Additionally including stackable extendatron-trusses.

Maybe even combine those two into 'offset extendatron-truss-insets'^^

Aaand, what about applying any of the available TextureSwitcher-modules? Those would be really neat, I guess.

The very fist textures could be plain colored, just Kuka-orange, Skynet-Silver and maybe a Festo-gray. And Faro-blue^^ (1x1 px stretched^^)

Might be more a joke than an actual idea, not sure, you decide:

Since you made that nifty part, that can take surface samples (utilitron - sampler), I'd guess making a 'utilitron - territorial demarkation device' would be the next step.

Basically a robotic flag-placing-gadget, with different magazine sizes (a 'single round muzzle loader' for super tiny probes and maybe a '6-shooter' for something in the size of a fully fledged Mars rover)^^

Did anyone mention, that you have done a really awesome job in giving each part an actual descriptive name, adamantly sticking to a certain naming-convention? :)

PS.:

Either something on my side is bugged or you forgot to assing your parts to a manufacturer, I can see the moving ones exclusively in the robotics tab, the structural ones correspondingly in the structural tab and some in the utility, one in the science tab, would be convenient to have them all one one page for better overview of the full set by selecting a manufacturer (I have no MagicSmokeIndustries manufacturer icon found so far, if the name applies, or I just looked for the wrong droids at the wrong place^^)

Easily broken Grabber/Grasper

Edit 2: Alright, I have an issue with the current version (1.1) using KAS's pre-release. I've just checked the problem. It appears the "breakForce" on KAS module is too low which causes the grabber/grasper to break easily. I changed it to 60 (because KAS magnet has 60) and it went well. Seems like KospY also made it higher as it was an issue as well. It's in the changelog on Alpha 6 of KAS.

I'm using this on 1.1 pre release. (I know it's bound to have problems) Is it just me or the utilitron grabber/grasper are easily falling off where it is connected once the magnet is attached to something? Or is it just the classic "because the node is too small"? I just got back to KSP as well so I am not sure if this is how it should be.

Edit: I looked at the log, it MIGHT be a KAS problem. I'll check out KAS. I'm using the pre-release test version.

Edited by blackheart612

why it doesn't work on my pc, is it because I installed it in a wrong way?

most of parts are missing and all of them don't work. I also can't find the robot icon on the left of my panel.

I just wonder am I the only one?

On 4/25/2016 at 3:59 PM, pwu said:

why it doesn't work on my pc, is it because I installed it in a wrong way?

most of parts are missing and all of them don't work. I also can't find the robot icon on the left of my panel.

I just wonder am I the only one?

The first thing I have to ask is, Did you install the core infernal robotics mod?

This mod is a parts Only mod that works with Infernal Robtics (IR).

IR is the mod that allows all of these parts to move and function, it also adds the icon you can't find.

get IR here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/104535-10511-pre-magic-smoke-industries-infernal-robotics-0214200-beta/&page=34#comment-2515686

Edit: Sorry about that Ziw. I was trying to point them at the forum pages for IR as well as the mod itself.

Updated Link per Ziw:  https://github.com/MagicSmokeIndustries/InfernalRobotics/releases/tag/2.0.0

Edited by lazaruz76
update

How do the robostruts work? I have the 2.0 final core of IR installed and the v02 beta release of these parts.  I've placed several of the different robostruts (the base, the grappler, the strong strut and the weak one) on a test craft and when I go to the pad and right click on any one of them I can't seem to find any function to allow me to unattach and reattach them?

I know IR is working because I am using it with some rotational parts from the Discovery 2 mod.

1 hour ago, sojourner said:

How do the robostruts work? I have the 2.0 final core of IR installed and the v02 beta release of these parts.  I've placed several of the different robostruts (the base, the grappler, the strong strut and the weak one) on a test craft and when I go to the pad and right click on any one of them I can't seem to find any function to allow me to unattach and reattach them?

I know IR is working because I am using it with some rotational parts from the Discovery 2 mod.

Simple answer - They don't. Robo-struts are handled by ActiveStruts plugin, that we haven;t updated yet for 1.1.

I have a question about joint stiffness of the hinge joints. I know I'm probably not the first one, but I haven't found any recent info on that. I'm also unsure if the question belongs here or in the IR thread, so please redirect me as needed. 

So what I'm trying to do is attach a wing (B9proc) by a hinge, in order to have variable sweep. It works beautifully in the SPH as well as on the runway. However, as soon as any strain is put on the wing (e.g. the craft lifts off and the wing bears the load) the hinge joint dislocates completely and the wing flaps in the wind at angles up to 45° to the actual hinge plane. 

So my question is, is there a way to make the hinge joint stiffer, so it stays in plane even under load? Or is there another way to implement the turning of a wing (e.g. a powered washer like in the Legacy IR parts, but with a stiff joint)? I tried increasing the mass of the hinge to 1.5 (from 0.1), which had no effect

Here's an album showing the setup in question: 

4 hours ago, boywithumbrella said:

I have a question about joint stiffness of the hinge joints. I know I'm probably not the first one, but I haven't found any recent info on that. I'm also unsure if the question belongs here or in the IR thread, so please redirect me as needed. 

So what I'm trying to do is attach a wing (B9proc) by a hinge, in order to have variable sweep. It works beautifully in the SPH as well as on the runway. However, as soon as any strain is put on the wing (e.g. the craft lifts off and the wing bears the load) the hinge joint dislocates completely and the wing flaps in the wind at angles up to 45° to the actual hinge plane. 

So my question is, is there a way to make the hinge joint stiffer, so it stays in plane even under load? Or is there another way to implement the turning of a wing (e.g. a powered washer like in the Legacy IR parts, but with a stiff joint)? I tried increasing the mass of the hinge to 1.5 (from 0.1), which had no effect

For this kinds of loads only struts will help. You should try using quantum struts or wait until we update active struts.

With @ZodiusInfuser's permission I'm proud to present a repack of latest beta release

https://mega.nz/#!rdlHkLAJ!ZizDvd8s7zCIG529FtO8b7wM0avJ8yC3pldIaf6BGFw

This pack has updated configs to accommodate for latest IR 2.x and IRS 1.x changes and has most parts from beta, except wheels and mecanums, because they need much more than just a config fix.

Also in this pack there is an experimental build of ActiveStruts, but please DON'T use the FreeAttach functionality, or it might crash your game. Use TargetAttach or StraightUp attach.

Updated version of IRSurfaceSampler plugin was kindly provided by @DMagic himself, so it should work with our surface sampler part in 1.1.2

EDIT: Alternate link for those who cannot use Mega

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9f5PHcywXQINzQ3UC1aLVNBZk0/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Ziw

6 hours ago, Ziw said:

For this kinds of loads only struts will help. You should try using quantum struts or wait until we update active struts.

As you can see in the picture, I do use quantum struts where applicable. As you should understand, they are not a solution to my problem, since while they're active, the wing won't move (which defies the purpose of the hinge), and as soon as I deactivate them in the air, the hinge joint "dislocates". 

Is there some kind of engine limitation on that? When the wings are surface-attached to the fuselage, the connection is stiff enough (let alone for joint nodes), why is the IR joint's internal connection so much weaker? Is this limitation somehow connected with the fact that it's dynamic?

13 minutes ago, boywithumbrella said:

As you can see in the picture, I do use quantum struts where applicable. As you should understand, they are not a solution to my problem, since while they're active, the wing won't move (which defies the purpose of the hinge), and as soon as I deactivate them in the air, the hinge joint "dislocates". 

Is there some kind of engine limitation on that? When the wings are surface-attached to the fuselage, the connection is stiff enough (let alone for joint nodes), why is the IR joint's internal connection so much weaker? Is this limitation somehow connected with the fact that it's dynamic?

You can try artificially increasing the node size of a hinge, maybe this will help. You can also try using big rotatron/washer and attach it differently

2 hours ago, Ziw said:

You can try artificially increasing the node size of a hinge, maybe this will help. You can also try using big rotatron/washer and attach it differently

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried replacing the hinge with a basic rotatron and then bearing rotatron. The basic rotatron showed the same amount of slack (45-90°), while the bearing rotatron behaved even worse - straight upon takeoff the wings flipped out, and due to a slight roll of the craft one wing promptly folded 180° onto the fuselage.

Would you mind pointing me to what node exactly I have to change in order to increase stiffness of the joint between the two halves of the hinge, as per your other suggestion?

// --- Node Definitions ---
node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.1, -0.3, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.1, -0.3, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1
node_attach = 0.0, -0.1, -0.3, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0

@boywithumbrella, Bearing rotatron is for completely different use-case, you should not use it for wings.

If I remember correctly the last '1' represents the size of the node.

If that fails, you might try this tricky solution: 

1) Install Sequencer

2) set up action group for toggling your struts

3) Create a sequence for wing rotation with several 3-5 degree steps, each time toggling the struts before and after movement, basically create your own animation

4) try the sequence in flight, this might help you keep wings strutted while animating the movement.

Edited by Ziw

I cant find those joints for rover (Foldatrons) in research tree. Are they available for 1.1.2 version? Just see a hinge.

I am right if they are not aviable from ckan and i should download them? Are they working for 1.1.2? Can ugive me a link?

Edited by LeCosmopilot

36 minutes ago, LeCosmopilot said:

I cant find those joints for rover (Foldatrons) in research tree. Are they available for 1.1.2 version? Just see a hinge.

I am right if they are not aviable from ckan and i should download them? Are they working for 1.1.2? Can ugive me a link?

If you'd be kind enough to read at least the last page of this thread you'd see the link to the download posted 5 posts above yours. You can also use the link to the post in my signature.

I was interested in using Infernal Robotics for a swing-wing aircraft. But it looks like getting the wings to rotate isn't working right now. Is it possible to create a rotator part with very high load capabilities?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.