[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

20 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

That is way too high and too fast for those engines. I think that both curves should be nerfed, for atmosphere/thrust loss and speed/thrust loss (sound barier).

After all, propelers need some more dense air to be able to provide any thrust. At 38.7 km air is so thin that at low rotation those propeler could get as much as thrust as like craft is in vacuum.

Try to nerf down velocity/thrust drop first than fine tune engines with atmosphere curve. I don't think it should be possible to reach much more than 10-12 km and 0.8 mach in very best occasion.

I'm sorry that I don't have much time for testing in latest days to help you further with this.

Zodius and "we" are working on that. Those numbers where just the initial test version that was obviously WIP. Don't worry Zodius has a high standard for what he lets loose into the wild :) stay tuned and pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.....

1 hour ago, kcs123 said:

That is way too high and too fast for those engines. I think that both curves should be nerfed, for atmosphere/thrust loss and speed/thrust loss (sound barier).

After all, propelers need some more dense air to be able to provide any thrust. At 38.7 km air is so thin that at low rotation those propeler could get as much as thrust as like craft is in vacuum.

Try to nerf down velocity/thrust drop first than fine tune engines with atmosphere curve. I don't think it should be possible to reach much more than 10-12 km and 0.8 mach in very best occasion.

I'm sorry that I don't have much time for testing in latest days to help you further with this.

Having not done engines before, I mistakenly used the old method of balancing engines (based on m/s) which it turns out doesn't do anything any more, hence the ridiculous speed. I have since corrected this and added a lower ceiling, although these values may require some balancing still.

While i'm waiting for more tester feedback on the propellers, I spent a bit of time getting my old Curiosity inspired camera model in to the game and working as a science part that takes EVA reports. As usual with my utility parts, it has a light on the front. Currently unsure whether I should keep it as a light or have it flash as the animation for taking an observation. Thoughts welcome :)

[[Edit: that's assuming I can have an animation play only in one direction in stock (mystery goo and science jr play and animation forwards and back it seems). I guess the IRSurfaceSampler plugin could be modified, but I'd need DMagic for that, and I imagine he's quite busy at the moment.]]

_eb266a2c1b0b42d88ae2a8de85932a18

Also, if anyone can link me to a setup guide for Hullcam parts, that would be much appreciated.

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

On 5/6/2016 at 6:03 AM, Ziw said:

With @ZodiusInfuser's permission I'm proud to present a repack of latest beta release

https://mega.nz/#!rdlHkLAJ!ZizDvd8s7zCIG529FtO8b7wM0avJ8yC3pldIaf6BGFw

This pack has updated configs to accommodate for latest IR 2.x and IRS 1.x changes and has most parts from beta, except wheels and mecanums, because they need much more than just a config fix.

Also in this pack there is an experimental build of ActiveStruts, but please DON'T use the FreeAttach functionality, or it might crash your game. Use TargetAttach or StraightUp attach.

Updated version of IRSurfaceSampler plugin was kindly provided by @DMagic himself, so it should work with our surface sampler part in 1.1.2

EDIT: Alternate link for those who cannot use Mega

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9f5PHcywXQINzQ3UC1aLVNBZk0/view?usp=sharing

is this updated for 1.2?

21 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

is this updated for 1.2?

20 hours ago, Clockwork13 said:

Given the post date, i'd say no

This is parts only, it uses mainly IR modules and little in the way of stock modules, so I'd say it's most likely automatically compatible with whatever KSP version IR is compatible with. IR is not yet released for 1.2, but Ziw said that most of the work is done and only minor issues remain before he can release an update. If you're feeling optimistic I'd say sometime this weekend.

I need help i have download a lot of the magic smoke stuff like, model rework v02, rework deprecated-parts, Magic_Smoke_Industries_Infernal_Robotics-2.0.2,Rework_Repack_1.1.2, and i still don't get a lot of the features. I don't get the robot arm thing the setting thing that controls how the parts move and i don't get the robot icon to get to all of the robot parts instead of going to unity and structure. I have no idea what to do i look many times online but no one can solve my problem if i need more downloads plz put the link to all the downloads i need or am i not downloading them correctly. i look up how i do it and i do get some of the robot parts but not even close to the amount im supposed to get plz help and thank you.

On 17/10/2016 at 4:35 AM, dbeast79 said:

I need help i have download a lot of the magic smoke stuff like, model rework v02, rework deprecated-parts, Magic_Smoke_Industries_Infernal_Robotics-2.0.2,Rework_Repack_1.1.2, and i still don't get a lot of the features. I don't get the robot arm thing the setting thing that controls how the parts move and i don't get the robot icon to get to all of the robot parts instead of going to unity and structure. I have no idea what to do i look many times online but no one can solve my problem if i need more downloads plz put the link to all the downloads i need or am i not downloading them correctly. i look up how i do it and i do get some of the robot parts but not even close to the amount im supposed to get plz help and thank you.

It means you haven't installed the main mod (Infernal Robotics) properly.

Check out the latest release in the corresponding thread:

@ZodiusInfuser I can't remember for sure. A while back you had posted some pictures of in Dev sliding rails. Where you also working on a replacement for the legacy Gantry rails as well? I have been working on a gantry crane that utilizes those legacy rails and I'm kinda getting hooked on using them again.

22 hours ago, V8jester said:

@ZodiusInfuser I can't remember for sure. A while back you had posted some pictures of in Dev sliding rails. Where you also working on a replacement for the legacy Gantry rails as well? I have been working on a gantry crane that utilizes those legacy rails and I'm kinda getting hooked on using them again.

Indeed I was; however, I was also designing a 1.25m truss for them to go in and as such wasn't able to finalise the new gantry dimensions. They will be done one day along with rails. 

9 hours ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

Indeed I was; however, I was also designing a 1.25m truss for them to go in and as such wasn't able to finalise the new gantry dimensions. They will be done one day along with rails. 

Oh no rush man. Just curious was all. I'm sure you and Ziw have had your work cut out for you last couple weeks.

Really appreciate you stick'n around as long as you have. Oh by the way. I seriously can't find any faults with those rotors after I figured out that Tweakscale bug. I love those little things!

When you mentioned oceans ... Those new rotors could also be used for submarines. My latest attempt to build one with turboshaft created from IR parts and small wing surfaces didn't worked so well. Can't beat third Newton's law of action and reaction ... Could work with those new engine if crash tolerance is high enoug to be used under water.

On 10/5/2016 at 11:02 PM, ZodiusInfuser said:
Spoiler

You shouldn't be checking the KSP forum in a nightclub then :P (j/k)

On an unrelated note, had time to finish off the models and UVs for the three electric propeller parts I started so very long ago. Here's how they look in-game:
_03f47627516c4de58c4b06d882c4f63d

Still need to figure out how to get them working. I would like the to have an instant throttle response, like rocket engines, but not have the blades just stop spinning when at zero throttle. I aim thinking have throttle tied to blade pitch, and thrust being a result of whatever RPM the engine it at and the pitch. Hopefully there are things in Firespitter that will allow me to do this. Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated!

These would work beautifully with Throttle Control Avionics!

On 10/13/2016 at 4:42 AM, ZodiusInfuser said:

While i'm waiting for more tester feedback on the propellers, I spent a bit of time getting my old Curiosity inspired camera model in to the game and working as a science part that takes EVA reports. As usual with my utility parts, it has a light on the front. Currently unsure whether I should keep it as a light or have it flash as the animation for taking an observation. Thoughts welcome.

Hey, I wonder if you had noticed RoverDude's implementation of 'data camera' along with new type of science data. I think it is only present in his Exploration Pack, in addition to the Rat-Pack rover. It would be great to see more mods hooking into this new type of science.

Edited by RemoteRadical

On 26/10/2016 at 2:39 PM, RemoteRadical said:

Hey, I wonder if you had noticed RoverDude's implementation of 'data camera' along with new type of science data. I think it is only present in his Exploration Pack, in addition to the Rat-Pack rover. It would be great to see more mods hooking into this new type of science.

I had not noticed this. Do you know if the definition is from a community pack or some such, as I'd rather not add another dependency to the model rework just for a single part.

26 minutes ago, njmksr said:

Looking great @ZodiusInfuser!

Just wondering, is it possible/how would I obtain these beautiful ducted fans?

They are simply so awesome that I must utilize them for something, anything.

You send me a PM volunteering to be a playtester for them :wink:

Hey @ZodiusInfuser I had something to share :)

Testing a new crane design using Dual IR Rotatrons for boom rotation. Tripple IR Pivitrons for Boom pivot. And dual Tweakscaled KAS winches to lift a full 36T Orange tank. I found If I used Quantum struts to stiffen the arm and a KAS winch pulling backwards on the boom I can increase the listing capacity exponentially.

screenshot10_zpshsb8kwve.png~original

17 hours ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

I had not noticed this. Do you know if the definition is from a community pack or some such, as I'd rather not add another dependency to the model rework just for a single part.

Looks to me like the science is defined entirely in the Exploration Pack, in PackRat_Camera.cfg file. I didn't like the introduction of new science in a by-the-way fashion with vehicle pack, but at the same time I like the idea of camera equipment (for roleplaying reasons). It sounds like a simple request to move the science module to community pack. But RoverDude might need to redefine it in a more generic form than "experimentID = PakRatdataCamera". I'm pretty new to the modding community here, I can only guess if it's worth an ask.

15 hours ago, V8jester said:

Testing a new crane design using Dual IR Rotatrons for boom rotation. Tripple IR Pivitrons for Boom pivot. And dual Tweakscaled KAS winches to lift a full 36T Orange tank. I found If I used Quantum struts to stiffen the arm and a KAS winch pulling backwards on the boom I can increase the listing capacity exponentially.

That is frickin' great! But... how do you use two Rotatrons in tandem?

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 9:00 AM, RemoteRadical said:

That is frickin' great! But... how do you use two Rotatrons in tandem?

This is really difficult to explain but I will attempt to explain. (It now uses 2 uncontrolled and 1 controlled that can be unlocked from the system to allow the trailer to move freely witch is pretty much impossible to explain. (I should really start doing tutorials :p)

so surface attach controlled Rotatron.

node attach crane base to that.

surface attach structural part to base of crane / under controlled Rotatron offset / space so it sticks out the bottom of crane.

Node attach uncontrolled Rotatron to structural part and the strut that uncontrolled Rotatron to the underside of the crane.

Edited by V8jester

4 hours ago, doudou said:

Hi ,

@V8jester: In this video :

what mod do you use to make the eesa cylindrical container that is landing? 

Thank you !

Well that depends on the question. (I assume you mean, how does it open)

The cylinder is procedural fairings. And one of the structural fairings is attached to an IR Extendatron and Rotatron. To make it spin / offset.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.