[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

basically I can't use F1 for screenshots on KSP because I have it on steam. F12 button wont work in ksp, i don't know why. and my computer is really old so it cant screenshot.

EDIT: Sorry I forgot you were talking about folder. So basically like I said my computer is to old for screenshots.

Edited by Axilourous

So my CPU liquid cooler pump decided to die on me last night. BUT i did save a few pics. I was on 1.2.1 and just rebuilt an old design:

http://imgur.com/a/2Jl7F

Time warp was eventually the problem. Don't think this happened the first or second warp. I had closed the bay prior to a long warp, but noticed the panels had bunched as i was warping (pic 3). When bringing it back to normal time the whole door popped out at 'full' extension (not shown).

Upon later warps (because why not) the stackables would pop out more and more. Of course i tried retracting and extending, changing scenes, reloading. Blah.

I'd get you the logs if i wasn't scared of frying my CPU. It'll be a week before the part arrives :/

Edited by achroma

Whelp, people seem to get it to work, so I guess it's me or my setup that's causing my problems >.<

Here's a screenshot of the folder structure, the tech-tree and what I get in the VAB:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69730802/Games/NoMagic.jpg

And the log just in case:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69730802/Games/KSP.log

As you can see I get all the parts in the tech-tree, but only structural parts and for some reason the landing foot and magnet thingy in the VAB.

I'm installing IR-2.0.7-Final-Core first, and then Rework_Repack_1.1.2, although I've done it backwards and forwards a few times now just in case. I've even installed over the ckan version.

I now have KSP version 1.2.1 I believe, but I got the same problem with 1.2. Tried both 32 and 64 bit versions.

What am I doing wrong o.O

8 hours ago, Tubal said:

What am I doing wrong o.O

If you are unlocked tech tree node before installing mod or you were doing install/uninstall of IR mod you might need to purchase each part, despite being in unlocked tech tree node. That is first thing that poped up when you asked what could be wrong.

This is a shot in the dark here Tubal.

I had a similar issue with my IR install of parts not showing up that should. I found through trial and error that for some reason Filter Extentions was causing my problem. I don't know why it did just that when i got rid of it all of the IR parts showed back up. My suggestion is to try removing your copy of Editor Extentions and see if that fixes it. My thought here is that maybe there is a change being made to the Ship editor itself that is causing the issue.

As I said this is just a "Shot in the Dark".

Edited by lazaruz76

On 11/19/2016 at 3:07 PM, Tubal said:

Eventually I resorted to removing all other mods, and still the same result :/

Quite strange.

Some parts do not have category assigned in configs and IR Core (which should handle a separate parts category creation) is currently in a very unstable state.

So, I'd suggest to forget about using IR stuff in game for some time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,  I've got a couple questions, hope they're not too obvious. I saw some post back a revamp of the old rails from the  original IR, and also wheels, and even rotors. I downloaded it and there´s only the robotic parts. Why is that?

looking for help my parts seam to be stiff like at a hinge the hinge will move but it rips the attached part breaking the item I'm making works fine in VAB ect but when set to launch it tears it self apart as well when using a ram on a hinge when I use the hinge it looks like the ram has a copy of its self coming out and the pivots points spread using 1.1.3 tried a clean install with only this mod installed same thing

On 15/12/2016 at 1:43 PM, robert m said:

looking for help my parts seam to be stiff like at a hinge the hinge will move but it rips the attached part breaking the item I'm making works fine in VAB ect but when set to launch it tears it self apart as well when using a ram on a hinge when I use the hinge it looks like the ram has a copy of its self coming out and the pivots points spread using 1.1.3 tried a clean install with only this mod installed same thing

You need to disable built-in Auto-Struts

4 hours ago, robert m said:

do id need to do something in a config file or just delete that part of the mod

It is a stock setting, you need to go to the Options from the main menu, and enable Advanced Tweakables

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, Happy Holidays!!

Sorry I haven't been around much this past year. 2016 was a tough year for me, with all the stress of my PhD as well as some personal issues to deal with.

With the new year approaching, I am hoping to get back in to modding, specifically trying to get the model rework to some form of 1.0 release state. So with that in mind, I would like to ask for your guys thoughts on what a release of the IR Model Rework would look like. Once I get enough ideas I can then formulate a pre-release roadmap to get there :)

-Zodius

Edit: Also, would anyone be interested in me doing a YouTube tutorial series for IR and the rework? I had the idea of doing a form of lets play for a while now, but maybe tutorials would be more useful to the community.

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

On 07/12/2016 at 9:02 PM, Krux said:

Hi,  I've got a couple questions, hope they're not too obvious. I saw some post back a revamp of the old rails from the  original IR, and also wheels, and even rotors. I downloaded it and there´s only the robotic parts. Why is that?

@Krux apologies for the delay in replying. The answer to all those questions basically boils down to me not having time.

- Rails, although I got the design of the main rail completed I never finished the rest of the set I had planned. This was mainly down to me not finalising how many rails the set would contain. IIRC the last count I had was 6.

- Wheels, these were removed from the mod due to them being broken by KSPs wheel physics update, and me not having the time to explore how to fix them. Mecanums are another issue as these depend on parts of Kerbal Foundries to function, which last I checked wasn't available for 1.2.

- Propellers, these got to the closed testing phase and were ready to go except for audio. I did not have time to explore how to add engine effects so the parts are just sitting on my hard drive.

As I mention in yesterdays post, I want to work on getting this mod to release, so if you have any thoughts about the roadmap idea, it would be appreciated.

5 hours ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

Well for now you could offer your thoughts on the roadmap idea :P

It is easier to explain with picture that would provide context, what is missing in mod:

iaXECZs.jpg

Not a very best picture, but I hope it suffice for example. You don't know what is missing from parts until you encounter trough design needs.
I weas messing around Rocker Bogie wheel susspension and there was need to limit angle of free motion parts. As it was not possible with current parts, I ended up creating chains. Made with free moving joints, some solid parts between, but also with some powered extendratons. Whole thing would be much easier to accomplish with some of following:

1. ability to limit angle of free moving parts
  2. free moving extendratrons
  3. "suspension" a like extendratron - similar as free moving extendratron, but with some force that will tend to return it in chosen central position, like spring and damper do in regular suspensions

Last one would be most interesting one to have, to create some custom crafts with suspension, without messing with stock wheels autostruts and workarounds.

Also, I have encountered issues with some foldatron parts. Those work well if you surface attach them, or attach on node that is in craft default direction in VAB/SPH. However, if you place some struct parts on sides of craft, and you want to attach foldatron on that side node, having ALT pressed when you want to attach, it would not allow to do that.

Sorry, I was not keeping notes about exact parts that were affected, I will do it when I grab some free time for playing KSP, if there is need for more info about that. I'm not sure if that bug is due to IR core plugin or something is went wrong with parts between KSP updates.

On 2016-12-28 at 6:37 PM, ZodiusInfuser said:

With the new year approaching, I am hoping to get back in to modding, specifically trying to get the model rework to some form of 1.0 release state. So with that in mind, I would like to ask for your guys thoughts on what a release of the IR Model Rework would look like.

Working from ckan :D

8 hours ago, kcs123 said:

It is easier to explain with picture that would provide context, what is missing in mod:

iaXECZs.jpg

Not a very best picture, but I hope it suffice for example. You don't know what is missing from parts until you encounter trough design needs.
I weas messing around Rocker Bogie wheel susspension and there was need to limit angle of free motion parts. As it was not possible with current parts, I ended up creating chains. Made with free moving joints, some solid parts between, but also with some powered extendratons. Whole thing would be much easier to accomplish with some of following:

1. ability to limit angle of free moving parts
  2. free moving extendratrons
  3. "suspension" a like extendratron - similar as free moving extendratron, but with some force that will tend to return it in chosen central position, like spring and damper do in regular suspensions

Last one would be most interesting one to have, to create some custom crafts with suspension, without messing with stock wheels autostruts and workarounds.

I'm really not getting what yon mean by that picture. Could you draw what you're thinking of? As for the 3 parts you suggest, all three require one key feature, that being the ability to limit the angle/position of a free moving part. This is a feature not present in Infernal Robotics plugin for various technical reasons, meaning that although yes, I could model a free moving piston, that piston would not stop when it reaches its limits. Even with suspension enabled, there would be nothing to stop the piston leaving its housing before being pulled back.

As for your comments about foldatrons, the only thing I can think of it being is the node orientations being wrong, although why this would allow them to work in the normal orientation and not any other I do not know. It definitely would not be an IR specific problem, and is not something I have ever encountered. I tend to be obsessive with node placements and orientations.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.