[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

Let me update this post. Looks like part's contextual menu does work on KAS parts and Grabber/Grasper.

However, I could still use some help understanding how to use the RoboStrut Grapler. I can't seem to activate it via contextual menu, or action groups. 

Edited by RemoteRadical

On 1/31/2017 at 11:52 PM, Brainpop14 said:

Does this work in 1.2.2?

As far as i can see, yes it does.

I'm only having some structural problems, but not sure it's related to the mod itself.

Might just be overstressing the part limitations.

/Rikard

I have an issue where whenever I attach things to a robotic part, they seem to defy gravity, and the part moves, but has no effect on the thing attached to it.

Here's screenshots:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7pC68cP1j41ZXJIVWxBaG5EOGc

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7pC68cP1j41WFlzTFNOaXZ5bGM

Here's the log:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7pC68cP1j41SHlvTUwxQmtFekk/view?usp=sharing

Try putting a RoboTruss Pro on the hinge and check again.

It could possibly be so that your missile is not attached to the hinge, but some other part by accident.

You can also try the robotics in VAB/SPH just to make sure.

From what i read in previous posts and in the IR-thread Kerbal join reinforcement might muck stuff up.

I'd wager a guess that other similar mods would do the same.

/Rikard

Hey all so I'm new to Infernal Robotics and I've installed the later version for 1.2 and the rework packs all is working fine 

Problem is I don't seem to have any gantry rails am I missing something or do I need to get them in another pack and where from 

Thanks

6 hours ago, demonloadz said:

Hey all so I'm new to Infernal Robotics and I've installed the later version for 1.2 and the rework packs all is working fine 

Problem is I don't seem to have any gantry rails am I missing something or do I need to get them in another pack and where from 

Thanks

Gantry rails are from the "Legacy Parts Pack" all links can be found on the last page or 3 posts above yours,

And because I'm in a good mood :wink:

Legacy Parts

https://github.com/MagicSmokeIndustries/InfernalRobotics/releases/download/2.0.0/IR-LegacyParts.zip

Welcome to the forum

Edited by V8jester

3 hours ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

Movatrons were removed from the mod because they do not work in the latest version of KSP and I have yet to find time to fix them.

Good to see you still kicking around in the forums Zodius. We were starting to miss you :)

But take your time man. Just a glimps at what you do in RL is enough to make my brain hurt. Really impressive stuff.

16 hours ago, V8jester said:

Good to see you still kicking around in the forums Zodius. We were starting to miss you :)

But take your time man. Just a glimps at what you do in RL is enough to make my brain hurt. Really impressive stuff.

Thanks for the understanding. I'm currently doing the corrections phase of my thesis, the final bit needed before officially becoming a doctor. That's due in 2 weeks. Also continuing to get the robot working as well as searching for jobs.

I really do want to get back in to this though. Was watching Kottabos' reviews of Near Future and noticed the ability some parts have to change their appearance. Thinking this could be applied to pistons for different lengths, and mecanums for left / right, depending on whether the plugin can hook in to IR parameters, It can certainly hook in to attachment node positions from what I have seen.

Btw, @V8jester and others, I am still interested in thoughts on these two ideas I posted about a month ago:

On 28/12/2016 at 5:37 PM, ZodiusInfuser said:

With the new year approaching, I am hoping to get back in to modding, specifically trying to get the model rework to some form of 1.0 release state. So with that in mind, I would like to ask for your guys thoughts on what a release of the IR Model Rework would look like. Once I get enough ideas I can then formulate a pre-release roadmap to get there :)

Edit: Also, would anyone be interested in me doing a YouTube tutorial series for IR and the rework? I had the idea of doing a form of lets play for a while now, but maybe tutorials would be more useful to the community.

6 hours ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

Btw, @V8jester and others, I am still interested in thoughts on these two ideas I posted about a month ago:

I'm honestly really surprised no one ever responded to that one...

In my opinion, you have most everything important in place now. I also know you have a couple in dev parts such as the Heli Rotors, new Gantry Rails (Would also be nice to have a couple sizes on this one). There seems to be a problem with KAS in 1.2.2 which has been making almost every magnetic contraption useless. (even the KAS magnet) On that note my opinion would be

1) Asses / Fix plugin issues (KAS, Surface Sampler, Mecanums / Wheels etc,.) KSPwheel has now replaced KF so the wheels should have a really good shot at working again as they did before

2) Final spit and polish on the in dev parts (Rotors Rails, Any other awesomeness you have up your sleeve)

3) Experiment with model swapping as mentioned above. (I personally feel like this approach hides a lot of the parts and can make it more cumbersome to find exactly what your looking for. But this is only my opinion)

4) You mentioned texturing a few times before. But I and I think many others are already quite happy with current textures.

5) Testing by a small group before final release to try and hunt down bees

edit

Looks like just the KAS module needs some bolstering in 1.2.2. Granted these numbers are way higher than is necessary. But this fixed my issues (far as I can tell, I haven't tested everything yet)

partBreakForce = 999
 staticBreakForce = 999

Edited by V8jester

Hello there, i am having some minor issues. I am trying to build a really big mobile crane, i am using the stackable extendatrons to build the arm but they are too small. I have tried modifying the cfg file, changed the rescale factor to 1.5 which makes them the size that i need but also causes them to break apart when i extend them. I have also tried adding a rescale factor to the rescale cfg but that also causes the extendatrons to pull themselves apart when i extend them.

Is there any way to make them bigger without breaking them?

Thanks for any assistance

Jan

4 hours ago, Satlock said:

Hello there, i am having some minor issues. I am trying to build a really big mobile crane, i am using the stackable extendatrons to build the arm but they are too small. I have tried modifying the cfg file, changed the rescale factor to 1.5 which makes them the size that i need but also causes them to break apart when i extend them. I have also tried adding a rescale factor to the rescale cfg but that also causes the extendatrons to pull themselves apart when i extend them.

Is there any way to make them bigger without breaking them?

Thanks for any assistance

Jan

First off, welcome to the forum.

So what I did on my mobile crane was. Use two cylinders the same size, node stacked one on top of the other and that would equal (one cylinder) Then repeat this for two more sequentially smaller "Cylinders"

Then use the offset tool to move a set of two Extendatrons back into the larger ones. My boom was built using 6 Extendatrons in total. For a total of 3 double length cylinders.

Thanks for your answer, do i see three pivotrons at your base? Does that make it stronger? How did you attach a single boom to three pivotrons? I tried putting a strut between a couple of them but they wouldn't move.

I do not understand why i am having these problems. Here is my crane in SPH.

2z74glf.png

And then in "flight". I've been trying for days to make this work but i must be doing something wrong i guess.

2w7r3bl.png

Also i cant seem to strut the moving parts, i use quantum struts, deactivate them to move but then the weight breaks the parts and they cannot move with the struts active, maybe i should stick to small cranes.

This one works perfectly well.

19kr6e.png

@Satlock Take a look at my video again. If you look closely you will see some square structural parts on the boom sections. One square per boom segment. They were placed at full extention then tweaked a little at full return. The quantum struts are attached on all of these, all the way to the rotating base of the crane. (The base has 3 Rotatrons. if you think the boom pivot is complex.... Yeah that took some red neck engineering on that one) the Pivitrons are strutted to a single RKE Kanadarm spacer that was Tweakscaled under the first extendatron. This spacer is a physics less part so it won't flex the same. Also the struts will not move with the movement of the Extendatron.

I see, so you enable those struts when the boom is extended and they reinforce the boom for when you lift stuff?

I will try that, i have tested several different booms for my crane and i think a combination of stackable and normal extendatrons is best for my needs. The strutting is putting big limits on my crane's lifting capacity, the boom drops almost 30 degrees when i lift a K&K garage.

Going back to my crane now and i will let you know how it goes.

greets

It's going very nicely so far except for a minor problem, i changed the maximum strut length on the struts that are on my boom but every time i launch, the length gets reverted back to 10 which is too short.

Im going to ask linuxgurugamer about the strut length.

wuj8mw.png

Edited by Satlock
progress update

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.