[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

I've been having an issue that seems..odd, whenever I try and make *anything* that rotates, it bends and twists in odd ways. I got it working once but after I restarted it started again, KJR is not installed and I've attached some screenshots to the post.

Side View

Top View

Otherwise the mods used on this particular build are the KSWheels, B9 for some lights, KAS/KIS and obviously this mod. If theres anything else I can provide that will help I'll do my best.

Edited by MrRazerWolf
Edited because i forgot mods

4 hours ago, MrRazerWolf said:

I've been having an issue that seems..odd, whenever I try and make *anything* that rotates, it bends and twists in odd ways. I got it working once but after I restarted it started again, KJR is not installed and I've attached some screenshots to the post.

Side View

Top View

Otherwise the mods used on this particular build are the KSWheels, B9 for some lights, KAS/KIS and obviously this mod. If theres anything else I can provide that will help I'll do my best.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Being this is your first post, and I can't quite tell in your pictures. I will ask you a more "obvious" question. All IR parts have a "Root" node (green ball in the SPH) and a moving node. The root node is the side of an IR part with the yellow markings on it.

Envision IR being supplied power through its root node, from the root part of the vessel. If you attach an IR part backwards, weird things happen.

Are the IR parts attached properly?

17 minutes ago, V8jester said:

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Being this is your first post, and I can't quite tell in your pictures. I will ask you a more "obvious" question. All IR parts have a "Root" node (green ball in the SPH) and a moving node. The root node is the side of an IR part with the yellow markings on it.

Envision IR being supplied power through its root node, from the root part of the vessel. If you attach an IR part backwards, weird things happen.

Are the IR parts attached properly?

Yes, I am pretty confident of that, I would also note that the entire crane is a subassembly that I saved as it has worked multiple times, it has even worked on that same vehicle before so I am unsure as to what would change, it only happened after I saved the vehicle and restarted the game.

3 minutes ago, MrRazerWolf said:

Yes, I am pretty confident of that, I would also note that the entire crane is a subassembly that I saved as it has worked multiple times, it has even worked on that same vehicle before so I am unsure as to what would change, it only happened after I saved the vehicle and restarted the game.

There it is. When you saved the subassembly. where all the IR parts in there default state?

1 hour ago, MrRazerWolf said:

I think so but I am not entirely sure, I'm going to take a guess and say that if they are not in default it causes weirdness to happen?

Yes. For some strange reason. Now any time you either alt+click a copy or save a sub assembly of an IR part it does cause some weirdness. Try to reconstruct the IR contraption and see what happens.

Edited by V8jester

1 hour ago, V8jester said:

Yes. For some strange reason. Now any time you either alt+click a copy or save a sub assembly of an IR part it does cause some weirdness. Try to reconstruct the IR contraption and see what happens.

Will do when I get the time, I'll edit this with the results when I do, Thank you for the help :D

Are the RoboTruss and RoboTube parts just nice looking structural parts or are they functional? They look like they have a central core that spins, which would be very cool to spin parts away from where you locate the motor. But adding a rototron doesn't seem to do anything. 

1 hour ago, Chainbullet said:

I am having trouble installing this. I don't really care for the original IR models, but whether I install both this and the regular IR, or just this, the new models are not appearing. Is there a certain way I should install this to get the parts?

two page back:

Order of install was posted several times in this thread and main IR thread for plugin core. Search there if above link still does not help.

3 hours ago, Z-Money said:

I have a few questions:

1. Is this a replacement for Infernal Robotics?
  2. Is there a version of Infernal Robotics that works in modern KSP?
  3. Will this work w/o Infernal Robotics?

Fallow the link in the post directly above yours all relevant IR downloads are linked there with instructions

18 hours ago, SirMcPotato said:

I wanted to download IR it so bad, but Github hosted it on AWS and Amazon's S3 is down T__T
Anyway, I'd like to contribute every now and then, but I'm totally new to KSP modding. Any hints to manually build it from sources?

If you have any experience with C# then it's just a matter of loading into VS2015 checking the right KSP dll references ( selecting copy local off in the properties for each) and clicking build. That said if you're unfamiliar with C# the the IR code is not basic stuff , the nature of the beast means that it does some very special things, that no other plugin does, and the complexity of the code reflects this 

. If however you just fancy making a part of two there's no need to build the plugin ( there's a possible issue with the code that is available on github not being 100% current)  Here's  a basic and still applicable tutorial on making parts for IR

Tutorial: How to make robotic parts for the Infernal Robotics plugin. - Modelling and Texturing Discussion - Kerbal Space Program Forums

I'm not really sure how rotatrons work. It could just be me being stupid, but whenever I mount a bearing rotatron on a hub (or using sirkuts' Station Parts, which are pretty similar), followed by some trusses, it spins in the VAB. However, when I get to orbit, it kind of spins ten degrees or so and then jerks to a stop. Even when I put the rotatron itself out, its spin patterns are weird - sometimes it spins 180 degrees or so in one direction before reversing despite me holding down the same direction the whole time. Is there any chance I'm doing something obviously wrong and I just don't know it? I'm hoping to build a station with a rotating ring but without the rotatrons working that can't happen.

In the VAB it works fine...

But up here all we get it a little shimmy.

Also, if anyone could point me to an example .craft file where someone uses these correctly, I might be able to figure it out myself. Thanks.

On 01/03/2017 at 4:27 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

If you have any experience with C# then it's just a matter of loading into VS2015 checking the right KSP dll references ( selecting copy local off in the properties for each) and clicking build. That said if you're unfamiliar with C# the the IR code is not basic stuff , the nature of the beast means that it does some very special things, that no other plugin does, and the complexity of the code reflects this 

. If however you just fancy making a part of two there's no need to build the plugin ( there's a possible issue with the code that is available on github not being 100% current)  Here's  a basic and still applicable tutorial on making parts for IR

Tutorial: How to make robotic parts for the Infernal Robotics plugin. - Modelling and Texturing Discussion - Kerbal Space Program Forums

No problems,I'm used to C# and Unity3D dev, but I don't really know the workflow to compile a mod for KSP, i'm a total newbie about that xD
Gotta check this link, thank you for your answer :)

Hi guys, I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I'm building a variable geometry swing-wing aircraft for Ferram Aeropace (the super secret dev build of FAR that works fine as far as I can tell). I'm using this parts rework of IR and the dev build of KJR that V8Jester kindly provided a installation guide to a few pages back.

My problem is that my wings need to be hinged at the leading edge root, and so pitching up or down causes the trailing edge to bend and poke through the body of the aircraft. I've got quantum struts to lock them in place after changing the wing sweep, but the transition is problematic.

This is a pic of my setup. I'm using the new rototron for the hinge, and I've currently got an extendatron with a bearing at each end in an effort to stop the trailing edge of the wing wobbling up and down, but it doesn't work particularly well.

Does anyone know if there's a way to make these more rigid? I've tried turning the rigid attachment tweakable on, I've tried turning autostruts on for the IR parts in various combos, and I've tried using stock and modded struts attached to the wings and/or IR parts. I get a little bit of extra rigidity with the rigid attachment tweakable, but strutting just locks the wings in place.

15 minutes ago, Elmetian said:

Hi guys, I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I'm building a variable geometry swing-wing aircraft for Ferram Aeropace (the super secret dev build of FAR that works fine as far as I can tell). I'm using this parts rework of IR and the dev build of KJR that V8Jester kindly provided a installation guide to a few pages back.

My problem is that my wings need to be hinged at the leading edge root, and so pitching up or down causes the trailing edge to bend and poke through the body of the aircraft. I've got quantum struts to lock them in place after changing the wing sweep, but the transition is problematic.

This is a pic of my setup. I'm using the new rototron for the hinge, and I've currently got an extendatron with a bearing at each end in an effort to stop the trailing edge of the wing wobbling up and down, but it doesn't work particularly well.

Does anyone know if there's a way to make these more rigid? I've tried turning the rigid attachment tweakable on, I've tried turning autostruts on for the IR parts in various combos, and I've tried using stock and modded struts attached to the wings and/or IR parts. I get a little bit of extra rigidity with the rigid attachment tweakable, but strutting just locks the wings in place.

Follow couple of posts after this one. It was from previous KSP release, but concept works well in latest KSP, although I'm lack of free time to show something better for latest KSP. Several things to do to create more sturdy swept wings.

• Attach rotatron on small robotruss adaptor instead of directly on wing. You can then strengthen robotruss adaptor with additional struts.
  • use more than one extendratron - that will distribute forces more evenly on more extendratrons
  • use stackable extendratrons. Put them inside truss and strength out truss with additional struts

It can work quite well unless you try something crazy oversized like I tried:

BDKycTw.jpg

@Elmetian I commend your ingenuity on your design. But I unfortunately see the problem (in my opinion at least)

While your are using a very well designed combination of and Extendatron, Rotatron and Q struts (i'm truly impressed). I think you are trying to hard to build it the "American way" of needing a really cool "gimmick" Think more Russian :)

Brute force and just make it work!

So what I mean is use the legacy docking washer as it is thinner and you can hide a larger / stronger scaled washer which will end up far stiffer inside the wing, all while using fewer parts. Just bear in mind there may be some symmetry issues to sort out basically one of the hinges may or may nor be inverted. Also I can see in your picture you are using P-wings on the fuselage as well. This will help relieve some weight from the wings and allow for a much smoother transition. If you have any more questions feel free to poke me with a stick.

20 hours ago, kcs123 said:

Follow couple of posts after this one. It was from previous KSP release, but concept works well in latest KSP, although I'm lack of free time to show something better for latest KSP. Several things to do to create more sturdy swept wings.

• Attach rotatron on small robotruss adaptor instead of directly on wing. You can then strengthen robotruss adaptor with additional struts.
  • use more than one extendratron - that will distribute forces more evenly on more extendratrons
  • use stackable extendratrons. Put them inside truss and strength out truss with additional struts

Thanks, I'll definitely try the robotruss adaptors. I should be able to hide another extendatron in the body as well, should help to spread the load.

17 hours ago, V8jester said:

... use the legacy docking washer as it is thinner and you can hide a larger / stronger scaled washer which will end up far stiffer inside the wing, all while using fewer parts. Just bear in mind there may be some symmetry issues to sort out basically one of the hinges may or may nor be inverted. Also I can see in your picture you are using P-wings on the fuselage as well. This will help relieve some weight from the wings and allow for a much smoother transition. If you have any more questions feel free to poke me with a stick.

The thickness of the washer isn't too much of an issue. In the pictures I posted, I've used the offset tool to raise the whole wing assembly above the body so it could be seen. I did prefer the thickness of the old washers, but I was worried that being 'legacy' parts that they wouldn't be phased out. I might try using them instead of the new models out of necessity now though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.