[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

I am looking forward to seeing the finished models, I agree with all the comments, here, the current set is completely all over the place, there was absolutely no rules set between Sirkut and I, so textures don't match and in general the parts don't match, but they do serve a function and really I suppose that's what we were focusing on while Sirkut got his head around the mass of code that is DR, most definitely out of my league that one. Many of the parts I made were more to suit my own projects and I am using IR as a supplement for those things I just can't do.

Essentially my interest in Infernal Robotics was fairly linear. I needed a plugin that allowed me to attach things to animated objects and have them move with it - and this seemed the only solution (and appears still is the only solution to that modding issue) so for me, things like rotating VTOLS which I use on just about all my ships was where I put my focus. Sirkut pretty much did all the pistons and hinges, I just did a few rotatrons really and skinned some parts, so I didn't have that big a part in it really.

As I said, Glad you are taking it up as the infernal parts I make sort of are really specific to my ships, and I don't really have the free time available to do everything I want, including a nice shiny stock set of IR parts that are not overblown. Damned robotics was nice and simple, a handful of parts but they were all so versatile.

For my first set of modelling parts and skinning them thanks to your textures Devo I would say I did a decent job. I'm a programmer and hardly a graphics artist. My artistic talent comes from playing music. People always offer opinions but never step up to improve anything on their own which is why I took it upon myself, with Devo's help to create parts that people could use. Most of those hinges/pistons were modeled fairly closely to the originals. I welcome the new parts with open arms because it's one last thing I have to worry about _AND_ I can focus more on the rewrite! Devo, I want to publically thank you for everything you did for the project. I learned so much from your generosity.

For my first set of modelling parts and skinning them thanks to your textures Devo I would say I did a decent job. I'm a programmer and hardly a graphics artist. My artistic talent comes from playing music. People always offer opinions but never step up to improve anything on their own which is why I took it upon myself, with Devo's help to create parts that people could use. Most of those hinges/pistons were modeled fairly closely to the originals. I welcome the new parts with open arms because it's one last thing I have to worry about _AND_ I can focus more on the rewrite! Devo, I want to publically thank you for everything you did for the project. I learned so much from your generosity.

It was my pleasure, you are a self sufficient guy so it is pretty easy showing you stuff, even if I don't explain it well you seem to still figure it out. All I was doing was passing on what I learned here, and that's the way it should be I think. If not for Bobcat and Tiberion, some of my biggest problems wouldn't be solved and I'd be stuck on those , hell, i'd help them back if they needed it :) I can't wait till I've finished this move and we can work on some of the bigger projects we have been messing with! 2 days to go...

Im all for new IR parts and all....but I kinda like the current set (I also like how struts and fuel lines look).

The current parts look rugged, dirty.....they just look very industrial. I love my ships to look like industrial nightmares...the kinda things build with whatever happen to be laying around (like the stuff I build RL lol) and IR parts really fit the bill =)

If you like the parts or not Sirkut and Devo both deserve a handshake and a cold beer for stepping in and saving a VERY important mod!

@Zodius: Looking good bud, looking forward to seeing what you come up with for all the parts =)

These look awesome! Any ETA yet?

The ETA can be one of two things: Soontm or Not Soontm. Soontm means that not a lot of work is left, and that it will be released between this moment and the end of time, while Not Soontm means that some work is still left, and that it will be released between tomorrow and the end of time.

Based on the above definitions. Not Soontm seems most accurate :P. This is a big undertaking, and although I intend to release parts in stages (whilst still keeping the existing IR parts alive), I fully expect this to take several months or more. Plus my real-life robotics work takes up a lot of time.

Surprise! :P

Edit: For those that don't know Porkjet is the creator of this amazing Habitat Pack. His stock styling is some of the best I've seen in recent times, and I just had to get him involved in IR. It helped that Sirkut assisted him with some plugin code first :P

I hope that this will be a mutually beneficial endevour, as both of us have goals of creating stations with large spinning habitats, some of which is only possible with Infernal Robotics (e.g surface attachment).

I see great things in the future of KSP!

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

I personally say yes.

IMO I think it's important for the flexibility of IR to offer a range, from the very small probes to the largest interplanetary vessels. After all, that's the scales that are dealt with in the real space program. I'm not intending to design unique actuators for each scale though, as I quite like the current approach of the looks of a robotics part defining it's purpose, rather than the scale.

Wow...Looks awesome so far...

So I saw this yesterday in the news, and it got me thinking: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/01/meet-robosimian-the-robot-that-apes-an-ape/283068/

Also reminded me of the ISS' Dexter.... and I thought how kewl would it be if something like these came along in KSP... :)

I was wondering if something like them might become useful for KAS, and the (hopefully) upcoming FLEXracks mod.... :)

I could see something like the Robosimian as a useful robotic Kethane drill, or the next step in planetary probe science gathering....

I read a couple pages back in the thread a hint that there might be new things coming for IR...Any chance something more basic, but similar to these might be forthcoming?.. Or are they way over the top for use in KSP?

Im all for new IR parts and all....but I kinda like the current set (I also like how struts and fuel lines look).

The current parts look rugged, dirty.....they just look very industrial. I love my ships to look like industrial nightmares...the kinda things build with whatever happen to be laying around (like the stuff I build RL lol) and IR parts really fit the bill =)

I admit I do like the industrial look of the old parts, but the inconsistencies make them very hard to integrate into stock craft IMO. I'd be interested to hear what you think of the new style Porkjet has come up with.

@Zodius: Looking good bud, looking forward to seeing what you come up with for all the parts =)

I definitely have some big plans. A lot of it is based on ideas and suggestions in the originial thread, as well as my own cool concepts. I really want to see people create more foldable craft, to fit inside fairings and such :D

So I saw this yesterday in the news, and it got me thinking: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/01/meet-robosimian-the-robot-that-apes-an-ape/283068/

I was wondering if something like them might become useful for KAS, and the (hopefully) upcoming FLEXracks mod.... :)

I read a couple pages back in the thread a hint that there might be new things coming for IR...Any chance something more basic, but similar to these might be forthcoming?.. Or are they way over the top for use in KSP?

The actuators I currently have planned would allow for such a robot to be built by people. Controlling it is another matter :P.

Edited by ZodiusInfuser
spelling

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm probably the same as skyhook. The only uses I've found for robotics so far have been things like station arms and drill rotators. The smallest I've ever needed was a hinge to fold out a truss so that a satellite would fit in a cargo bay and I managed that with the standard hinge. Until probes need more parts to move I probably don't need more moving parts for probes.

It's a shame you couldn't make parts like these procedural or modify the rescale factor while in game, but I imagine the animations and hit boxes would make things "a tad difficult".

Edit: Oh, and excellent work Porkjet, very industrial. :)

I certainly want to offer parts for the complete scale range, but that doesn't necessarily mean that all robotics parts have to be available in all sizes.

In total there are five sizes I want to cover, Senior, Standard, Junior, HalfJr, and QuarterJr. As a minimum I'd like to offer a joint, hinge, rotatron, and right-angled rotatron for the smallest scale, with the associated structural components. Note the lack of gantry, pistons etc. It can be argued that this scale is limited due to the complexity of making some of the mechanisms smaller :P.

Had some time to get the structural parts in-game. They look pretty sweet! Excellent job Porkjet!

_21fb1b7341724b25bc0ff0c4ba13fe31

Also did a quick experiment of some of the new joint/hinge designs (without textures):

_1489fb69153e4423b4f695477acf8e23

_d710b8e002c7490093c5c2a5c35413c8

This makes me think that it may be useful to make some 1.25m and 2.5m structural parts to store robotics pieces inside of. What do people think? I particularly want to be able to make this at some point :D.

I hear ya. Those sirkut/zodius/devo guys really sucked at modelling/texturing. *wink*

Yeah, they were crap weren't they! I'm glad people will be able to use the parts finally if they are aesthetically appeasing, god forbid a cruddy texture should prevent you from exploring the wonders of infernal robotics..../sarcasm off ;)

Yeah, they were crap weren't they! I'm glad people will be able to use the parts finally if they are aesthetically appeasing, god forbid a cruddy texture should prevent you from exploring the wonders of infernal robotics..../sarcasm off ;)

It's funny, because I really enjoy the current parts, they really are cool in their own way. This, of course, surpasses all expectations.

This makes me think that it may be useful to make some 1.25m and 2.5m structural parts to store robotics pieces inside of. What do people think? I particularly want to be able to make this at some point :D.

I too want to be able to do that. Would love it if you could use 3 or 4 way symmetry with whatever you make too.

I too want to be able to do that. Would love it if you could use 3 or 4 way symmetry with whatever you make too.

I also want to incorporate elements of

design into whatever I come up with too, particularly seeing as Porkjet has made the engines/tanks, and Nertea the solar panels.
Those hinges look wonderful!

Thanks, I aim to please :)

Could you make some 90 degree hinges? You've got some nice 180 degree ones, but sometimes a smaller range of motion comes in handy.

So from fully flat out to 90 degrees, or do you mean plus/minus 45 degrees? I could quite easily make one, but my question is how useful one would be. Perhaps you could show an example of the sort of thing you imagine creating with one?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.