[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

Would this functionality be supplied in the MSI re-write currently being undertaken by Sirkut where the degree of movement for the part can be set?

Unless I am remembering incorrectly, I thought this would be part of the new functionality offered (i.e tweakables for the parts)

I don't know how easy it would be, but it would be great if you could set up tweakables to limit the movement of the hinges in some way. That way you could choose between 180°, 90°, 90°-offset by 45°. All of those would be useful.

---edit

Wow... Serves me right for walking away and not refreshing before replying. :)

Edited by SmarterThanMe
suggestion was already put

Hi, Just to let people know stuff is still happening here. Work's suddenly got busy again, giving me little free time to work on IR.

I've passed the rest of the structural segments (the mini-truss shown here) onto Porkjet, so we'll hopefully see those soon. Also, as a teaser I'm working on some parts that will make the people asking for a Scissor Lift very happy :D. Unfortunately due to IR limitations, I can't create one as a single part, so instead I'm expanding on the idea shown on this craft, but with an even lower profile. I'll keep people updated as things progress.

Here's a preview of what i'm currently working on:

_1f06e2f212224bbead86047cf3310832

It's a subset of joints and trusses, specifically designed for very low-profile setups, as the currently shown parts and trusses don't really suite this role. This particular part, is designed for surface attachment onto the outside of tanks etc, with another one in the works for stacking situations.

Here's an example arrangement:

_e6d83a1c45644c6c85e2aa0bf5fcd792

Before I continue further with this concept, I'd like to ask people, do you think this concept would be something you'd use?

This is mainly based on the Star Trek phoenix concept, but could be used for other roles too. The issue is that, in the end it could be 10 or so extra parts (including angle variations), and I know that people would prefer their part lists not to be too cluttered.

Thoughts?

https://www.cubby.com/pl/FlatHingeBreakdown.jpg/_1f06e2f212224bbead86047cf3310832

It's a subset of joints and trusses, specifically designed for very low-profile setups, as the currently shown parts and trusses don't really suite this role. This particular part, is designed for surface attachment onto the outside of tanks etc, with another one in the works for stacking situations.

https://www.cubby.com/pl/FlatHingeArrangement.jpg/_e6d83a1c45644c6c85e2aa0bf5fcd792

Before I continue further with this concept, I'd like to ask people, do you think this concept would be something you'd use?

This is mainly based on the Star Trek phoenix concept, but could be used for other roles too. The issue is that, in the end it could be 10 or so extra parts (including angle variations), and I know that people would prefer their part lists not to be too cluttered.

Thoughts?

I would use it in a heartbeat. Maybe make it a separate parts pack so people don't have to get the while thing. I would love to have this in game.

I didn't use robotics prior to watching the Project Gateway series on Youtube. I like the look of the new parts and I am greatly looking forward to the new truss and hinge parts. Big thumbs up, keep up the excellent work.

One thing I would like to see, and its been suggested above, I would like the option to programme a set of hinges to only go to a certain degree. For example I use IR for Solar Panel arms and I normally have one 90° hinge that I would like to pre-programme to drop down to perpendicular of its present position (still retaining though the use of manual overide).

Regarding the above suggestion for the engines this could also be used to deliver rovers.

Edited by Sochin

https://www.cubby.com/pl/FlatHingeBreakdown.jpg/_1f06e2f212224bbead86047cf3310832

https://www.cubby.com/pl/FlatHingeArrangement.jpg/_e6d83a1c45644c6c85e2aa0bf5fcd792

Thoughts?

Cool, at least lander that woudl fit fairing or cargo bay.

Frequently, yes. With FAR on that sort of thing would be great in combination with fairings and Bond's automation bays.

Thanks for the feedback! Since there hasn't been any objections to this concept I've continued development :)

Here's a variation of the earlier design (WIP), giving you even more extension!

_c2facaafcc8b46ff8467c0a3447afc18

This joint arrangement combines with the existing truss to give three times the extension of the earlier concept (at the cost of greater height from the attached surface). I intend to offer both this and the previous version, since there are subtle profile differences between them that may be useful to some people.

Frequently, yes. With FAR on that sort of thing would be great in combination with fairings and Bond's automation bays.

I am planning to design a range of bays, specifically for these parts. Not too many though, mainly 2x and 4x symmetry truss lengths for 1.25m and 2.5m craft. I welcome any suggestions :)

I would like to suggest some sort of elevator similar in use to pistons but with lower profile, specially for using in cargo bays to lift payloads in and out.

Also, the actual pistons do not stick well to surfaces. They only surface attach from the center and clip through parts (also they always want to attach in a way they extend inside the parts).

Besides this, I really like your work, keep going on :)

I would like to suggest some sort of elevator similar in use to pistons but with lower profile, specially for using in cargo bays to lift payloads in and out.

Also, the actual pistons do not stick well to surfaces. They only surface attach from the center and clip through parts (also they always want to attach in a way they extend inside the parts).

Do the telescoping pistons not work for what you want?

Back in the dawn of Damned Robotics I made TONS of folding, bending or moving things. Most of the time I ended up editing parts to get much smaller parts for probes and what not and also changed movement amount and speeds. Here are some old videos highlighting that sort of thing:

Ideally, if there were tweakables to set the range of motion for each part as movement speed, that would be ideal.

Do the telescoping pistons not work for what you want?

I suspect what he's wanting is a scissor lift type setup

scissor-2.jpg

However, that is not currently possible with the IR plugin.

With the parts I showed yesterday though, this setup will certainly possible, which achieves the same effect IMO:

1312526583_236239455_2-MAN-LIFT-BOOM-LIFT-CHERRY-PICKER-AND-SCISSOR-LIFT-ON-RENT-HIRE-Pune%5B1%5D.jpg

Unless I'm missing your point federicoaa. Feel free to show the kind of thing you had in mind.

I am planning to design a range of bays, specifically for these parts. Not too many though, mainly 2x and 4x symmetry truss lengths for 1.25m and 2.5m craft. I welcome any suggestions :)

The only suggestion I can make at this time is a bay for 3x symmetry as well as the 2x and 4x. (I'm particularly fond of 3x symmetry nacelles and such on my craft.)

I'd just like to point out that I too am quite fond of the looks of these. Loving the step back towards more functional looking parts, much like what I had planned for DR2 and what I with my limited(even more so back then) skill was aiming for with the original mod.

Thoughts?

Today I have been thinking how to save engines during re-entry and came up with the idea of retracting them behind a heatshield in the same way. So, I suppose it would be useful.

One more idea: it would be CPU-load-efficient to weld a joint and a truss together to have two parts([joint+truss welded together]-joint) instead of three parts (joint-truss-joint). Also, is it possible to make it conduct fuel optionally? Sometimes fuel lines are corrupter after quickloading. :rolleyes:

Thoughts?

In KSPI it's common to use microwave receivers (unfolding dishes) that have to be physically pointed at a relay satellite. You can see an example in some recent Scott Manley's Interstellar Quest, for example. I'm currently using somewhat unwieldy robot arms that hang by the craft sides, and force me to use an expanded 3.5m fairing for something otherwise perfectly fine with a 2.5m one.

That, and being able to extend the base of a lander, to make it significantly more stable. I'd love those parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.