[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

You rang, m'lord?

@PART[IRHinge*]
{
%category = -1
}
@PART[IRPistonScaleable]
{
%category = -1
}
@PART[IR_RotatronScaleable]
{
%category = -1
}
@PART[TelescopeFullAScaleable]
{
%category = -1
}

Thank you muchly :)

During my way into the office I had quite a crazy idea for an different kind of rotatron.

Based on the radial SAS from KW would it be possible to have and rotatron that is radial attached and then works like a ring, where you attach then new parts?

I just know how much you love challenges ;)

Is this what you're after? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84566-WIP-Magic-Smoke-Industries-Station-Parts-(Infernal-Robotics-required)

Not quite surface attached, since there's no way to ensure the tank size is exactly right, but allows for an in-line rotating ring as you describe.

Is this what you're after? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84566-WIP-Magic-Smoke-Industries-Station-Parts-(Infernal-Robotics-required)

Not quite surface attached, since there's no way to ensure the tank size is exactly right, but allows for an in-line rotating ring as you describe.

Damn you guys are too fast for me :D

Yeah that is exactly what i was thinking of.

That ring with the option scale and to add attachmentpoints like in procedural fairrings, and it is perfect.

BTW are attachments points more rigid than surfaceattachments?

Admittedly it's not a folding arm but it can perform the functions of a folding arm if you happen to have virtually unlimited time and patience, it does go in a 2m box though and fly around a space station and land and walk on it. I tried using the magnets for feet but they don't do too well when the script runs and it starts bouncing about so I had to use grapples instead. I just need to build a space station for it.

Admittedly it's not a folding arm but it can perform the functions of a folding arm if you happen to have virtually unlimited time and patience, it does go in a 2m box though and fly around a space station and land and walk on it. I tried using the magnets for feet but they don't do too well when the script runs and it starts bouncing about so I had to use grapples instead. I just need to build a space station for it.

http://youtu.be/IYk16AMTJJs

Wow! That's one impressive mech suit you've got there. Glad to see the new parts in use!

I really like the approach taken here. The models are very promissing. However i miss a gantry rail so far.

Thanks. Gantries will be coming in the future, once I come up with a cool enough design for them. Any reference material is welcome :). They will be the last parts in my planned Probe styling, with Station and Aircraft to follow (not necessarily in that order).

--------------------------------------------------

Btw, is anyone up for creating some example craft with the IR Model Rework parts for me to post pictures of in the OP? Although the current pictures are accurate in showing what's offered, they don't really highlight all the cool things that are possible with them. It would be preferred if it was just Stock+Rework+ActiveStruts, but if other mods are needed then that's fine too :). I have my own ideas I'll try and come up with too :D

http://youtu.be/IYk16AMTJJs

That's pretty sweet Darren. I haven't used kOS in a while but if they already added IR controls, then maybe you could write a few scripts for controlling that thing.

That's pretty sweet Darren. I haven't used kOS in a while but if they already added IR controls, then maybe you could write a few scripts for controlling that thing.
kOS can just do action groups at the moment so it walks using those but there's only ten and I've used them all except one.

Nope, no wheels yet. There's more of an explanation in the last page or so of the thread. You can use TweakScaled stock wheels to for some purposes:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Craft files:

Collapse-a-rover II (SPH)

Infernal Arm (Sub.)

ESA Arm (Sub.)

For the Infernal Arm, I did make one change that ZodiusInfuser will probably not support. I gave the Grabber the same scales as the other Foldatron parts, but I believe it's supposed to be fixed size, with another part coming later for the small Foldatrons.

Edited by Master Tao
Infernal Arm note

Wow, that is really cool, thanks for sharing that. :) I'm a novice when it comes to using IR in general so it's nice to see what others have done. Below is a prototype arm I made for a space station using the standard IR parts and KAS. Now I want to see if I can do the same thing, but more compact with these foldatrons.

Ok now that was really cool!

Thanks! :) It is a simple design but effective. Now that I've downloaded the model reworks, I can try to redesign it and make the arm more compact. My other question is: what parts from the original IR model set are replaced by these new ones? I am running up against the 32-bit memory constraints, so if I can trim the original parts list then I'd be a happy camper. :) I know that the original gantry is still needed, for instance.

The ones covered by this MM config: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65365-WIP-MSI-s-Infernal-Robotics-Model-Rework-(Updated-27-08)-now-with-FOLDATRONS!!?p=1378922&viewfull=1#post1378922

Note that applying the config won't actually remove the parts so instead you'll need to manually identify which ones it refers to and delete their folders.

Thank you much for that. I just started playing with them and do I understand correctly that TweakScale eliminates the need for 1/2 and 1/4 sizes? If so, that's great. :) I also like how I can clip the extenders in place without having to futz with the positioning. Hopefully I'll have a redesigned arm before long. Thanks for sharing his great rework! :)

Edit: Here is the MK2 station arm. It improves upon the MK1 gantry-based system. I had to upgrade to IR 0.18.6a and then install the reworked parts, but that did the trick. Using the new parts is a breeze, the extendatrons especially were much easier to align and connect together compared to the older models.

Final design: Pier One module with MK3 payload arm:

Z6DGuZd.png

Only troubles I had were unrelated to IR: the MKS module doesn't quite fit the KSO Super25 payload bay. But I have my own shuttle parts I'm making, and I've made the bay wide enough. And while I've cut down the form factor on the stowed arm, my goal is to fit the arm into a 2.5m launch shroud/KSO Super 25's payload bay if possible.

Edited by Angel-125

A suggestion for a new part, which my compliment the foldatrons.

How about landing feet which self rights to the ground.

Just leave out the animation name for ModuleLandingLeg and set the tranforms for landingFootName.

I have been considering a landing foot of some sort and/or a KAS grappling hook based on Darrens recent videos. I have yet to come up with a design that I like, and more importantly have no idea how to go about actually creating a landing leg. I would quite like it to unfold. Alignment to a surface would be ok if it was toggleable.

I had a go at modelling a KAS Grappling hook with an IR theme, but my first attempt didn't turn out that great. I was going for the hook arrangement that the current part used as that looked really cool on Darren's mech here:

Then I came across this research NASA's been doing:

I've seen videos of the concept before, but this is the first time I've seen it used to allow robots to climb, which would kinda be the goal of me adding such a part, so I'll have a go at making it. I am aware that Asteroid Recycling Technologies also uses this design, but I'm sure I can come up with a way to make it distinct enough :)

So, what kind of plugin is needed to make the wheels work?

Lo-fi's one. He's got plans to add crab motion into the wheel control code that would really add to the usefulness of my wheels, to the point where I think its better to wait for the plugin than make them use stock and update in the future.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.