[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

To anybody who wants it, here is a simple module manager file that adds the power consumption to parts and integrates it with tweakscale so the power usage drops as the part gets smaller, the same way it works with the default parts:

LINK

Please note I don't have the default IR parts installed, don't know what will happen if you have them installed.

No, plugin updates can't cause that kind of problem. Even if you don't install IR, just the Rework parts, the parts will still appear. They just won't work.

Try deleting and reinstalling the Rework parts, then see the Support sticky.

I just thought of something. I am currently using modulemanager 2.3.5, might that have anything to do with my issue of the parts not showing up?

ZodiusInfuser,

If it's not to much trouble, could you explain how you created that custom strut? My attempt at creating my own won't place the second endpoint -- I can place the strut, and the strut-bit follows my cursor around, but clicking again does not place the endpoint.

ZodiusInfuser,

If it's not to much trouble, could you explain how you created that custom strut? My attempt at creating my own won't place the second endpoint -- I can place the strut, and the strut-bit follows my cursor around, but clicking again does not place the endpoint.

There are two parts of the strut you need. An endpoint, and the grappler. Both are separate and one does not place the other. So place an endpoint where you need it then place the grappler. And bingo, connect them like you tried.

I really like how this part pack steadily matures. Question (probably stupid): I see that every part has its own texture file - isn't it more practical to have a single common file for them? It may become helpful for possible future retexturing attempts (like, for my own installation I'm adding the "checkered concentric circles" signs on axles, but damn, that's a lot of files to edit, even if it's a simple copy-paste operation). Sumghai did it for FusTek pack and it worked very well.

Also: WHEELS! DO WANT! They look absolutely awesome.

Also#2: Magnet. Any chance for a version where spotlights will get very narrow angle, acting more like a target markers?

Edited by J.Random

I really like how this part pack steadily matures. Question (probably stupid): I see that every part has its own texture file - isn't it more practical to have a single common file for them? It may become helpful for possible future retexturing attempts (like, for my own installation I'm adding the "checkered concentric circles" signs on axles, but damn, that's a lot of files to edit, even if it's a simple copy-paste operation). Sumghai did it for FusTek pack and it worked very well.

Also: WHEELS! DO WANT! They look absolutely awesome.

Also#2: Magnet. Any chance for a version where spotlights will get very narrow angle, acting more like a target markers?

The mention of MODEL has been covered before. Here is a brief conversation regarding that:

I noticed a big optimization issue with IR rework. You use the same texture on all parts, and it's duplicated for every single part. That's not how it's done, unless IR doesn't like MODEL nodes for some reason, you should consolidate all you can into a single folder with a single instance of the texture. That'd save a ton of disk space, memory and loading time.
IR doesn't like MODEL nodes for some reason :P

Unless improvements have been made recently in that regard, switching to the MODEL format completely disables the robotic functionality of the part. Even having all cfgs in the same directory and referencing different meshes the old fashioned way doesn't work :huh:

Sorry, wasn't clear enough with that post. I was talking about the strut with the same functionality as the stock one. I'm attempting to create my own model for a strut, but I can't figure out how to set it up in Unity -- I can't get targetAnchor to work properly; in game after exporting I get the problem I described in my previous post. I posted here because the IR strut was one of the ones I was using as an example.

just a heads up but with the new funtion of infernal robotics (the one where you can start to move servos and stuff in the VAB/SPH) some of the alethlete parts confuse me because they rotate both ways even when placing them on a node but when i launch my craft the one i joined onto the node doesn't move.

if this is a real soddy explanation then sorry my explanation skills need work :P

just a heads up but with the new funtion of infernal robotics (the one where you can start to move servos and stuff in the VAB/SPH) some of the alethlete parts confuse me because they rotate both ways even when placing them on a node but when i launch my craft the one i joined onto the node doesn't move.

if this is a real soddy explanation then sorry my explanation skills need work :P

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65365-WIP-MSI-s-Infernal-Robotics-Model-Rework-%28Updated-27-08%29-now-with-FOLDATRONS%21%21?p=1411252&viewfull=1#post1411252

Hi,

I am back from my trip to IROS \o/, where I saw many cool things such as an attempted robot arm wrestle, and this. I am still on holiday this coming week though, so don't expect me to be that active on the forums or doing much in the way of KSP until the end of the month.

To keep you all happy until then, I'll leave you with this teaser I started while I was in Chicago:

_c9ca8113eb1247ceaa2793fbcaf6c722

Is that a low profile rotatron and ultra low profile pivatron? Will they be available in all three sizes or just the larger two like the foldatrons? The docking washer is the last of the original parts I still use because there's nothing else like it, those look great.

I have a suggestion as well, do you think, now that we have adjustable min/max limits and adjustable start position, the joints (particularly the pivatrons) should just go at the same speed rather than the "time from 0 to max angle" thing. As soon as you adjust either the limits or start position it seems less important and just a pain to make things go at the same speed.

Also, I upgraded my mech with some new movements. Forty keys on the keyboard to fully control it, I can't wait for the kOS integration.

Is that a low profile rotatron and ultra low profile pivatron? Will they be available in all three sizes or just the larger two like the foldatrons? The docking washer is the last of the original parts I still use because there's nothing else like it, those look great.

They probably will be available in all 3 tank sizes :)

I have a suggestion as well, do you think, now that we have adjustable min/max limits and adjustable start position, the joints (particularly the pivatrons) should just go at the same speed rather than the "time from 0 to max angle" thing. As soon as you adjust either the limits or start position it seems less important and just a pain to make things go at the same speed.

Will have to give this some thought

Also, I upgraded my mech with some new movements. Forty keys on the keyboard to fully control it, I can't wait for the kOS integration.

That is Epic!!

Oh, I believe kOS integration is already a thing with the last update. It's not like it was before when Sirkut was doing it, instead kOS should be able to read the angles of joints and trigger actions accordingly.

So I think I'm going crazy, but trying to add any of the non-structural Rework parts to my ship just completely breaks the game. Huge NREs, output_log spam, can't exit editor, game freezes and I have to force-exit.. real bad things, basically. I thought it was maybe some interaction with another mod, but it happened on a pure stock install with just MSI (Legacy and Rework), TweakScale (a dependency) and ModuleManager.

Basically, what happens is that when I click to attach a robotic part to the craft, it just kinda wiggles lopsidedly for a few seconds, doesn't actually attach and then I get a FPS tank (like 1-3 FPS, which would be the massive log spam. Seriously, it took about 10 minutes to delete the spam so it'd be a reasonable size). I can't delete the part easily and I can't exit the editor.

Here is my output_log.txt from the test, I hope its some use. I'd say it's a TweakScale bug, but it only happens with the Rework parts (oddly, not the Legacy ones). And seeing as TS is a dependency, it's odd that it's breaking the Rework parts. Yes, they're installed correctly, yes, I believe they're the latest (last updated 27/08), KSP 0.24.2... Could it be a conflict with the IR upgrade? 0.19 allows editor movement of parts, that could be borking things...

EDIT: The start of Bad Things

ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,TweakScale.ScaleExponents].Add (System.String key, TweakScale.ScaleExponents value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToDictionary[ScaleExponents,String,ScaleExponents] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 keySelector, System.Func`2 elementSelector, IEqualityComparer`1 comparer) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToDictionary[ScaleExponents,String] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 keySelector, IEqualityComparer`1 comparer) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToDictionary[ScaleExponents,String] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 keySelector) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TweakScale.ScaleExponents.CreateExponentsForModule (.ConfigNode node, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 parent) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TweakScale.ScaleConfig..ctor (.ConfigNode config) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TweakScale.TweakScale.Setup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TweakScale.TweakScale.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

EDIT: Soooo... I'm an idiot. The TweakScale exponents mention in the Exception made me go looking and it appears I have a rogue cfg changing things from a certain Mr Tao.. Deleting that fixed the craziness. Sorry for wasting someones time! But I'll leave this up in case any else has the same problem :)

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP
I made a whoopsie

As most of you have no doubt have guessed, I no longer have time to work on the model rework (for a long while anyway). With my recent research publications and the university semester starting again, there's a lot more demands on my time.

Rather than leave the mod to gather dust, I'd like to ask, would anybody be interested in starting the process of texturing these parts? Currently the UVs and textures are placeholder, but give a good sense of the clean and near future and stock-alike asthetic I am looking for. If interested, please reply below or PM me with examples of your work.

I admit that this will be a big undertaking (35+ parts with unique textures) , but it's the one thing that's stopping the model rework from making its way into the official IR release.

Thanks

-Zodius

I admit that this will be a big undertaking (35+ parts with unique textures) , but it's the one thing that's stopping the model rework from making its way into the official IR release

Have you and sirkut not overcome the problem with keeping all parts in a single folder?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.