[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

The issue is when using the MODEL{} references, it injects an additional transform into the parts causing them NOT to work since IR directly references the transforms in order for the parts to move.

For example (both are the same except for the config changes to reference MODEL and the partname):

The method being used now:

Shows 4 transforms

• IR.Pivotron.Basic(Clone)
  • model
  • Base
  • Joint

The MODEL{} method:

Shows 5 transforms

1. IR.Pivotron.BasicMODEL(Clone)
  2. model
  3. MagicSmokeIndustries/Parts/Rework/Robotic_ProbeRotational/IR_Pivotron_Basic/model(Clone)
  4. Base
  5. Joint

It's that third transform in the "model" method that causes the issues that I need to deal with.

hi im trying to mod one of your parts to have a attachment node where it dont have one http://imgur.com/JkStDDB that is the pare ive already remove the kas magnet module all i need now is to know how to add attachment node

edit nevermind i found it out threw a lot of trial and error lol

Edited by ShadowFoust

Next update will support the use of MODEL{} but will require the user to supply a flag in the module definition (in this case hasModel = True) in order for this to work. Now everyone can save 1.80MB of texture data...

LOL! Is that really all? I didn't realise. Still, it's a good thing for others who might want to make their own larger part sets.

Yup. For the rework parts that's all you get in savings. I haven't looked at the "stock" parts yet but it's looking like 5MB or maybe 10MB in texture space saved. As for others who want to make their own parts, I only know of Zodius, nothke, and spannermonkey(smce) that have made parts using IR.

has anyone tried this on the updated IR for 0.25 yet? if so is it ok to put in as in all working? I would test myself but i dont have the time before i start streaming.

They are just parts that compliment the plugin so all should be well.

In before Darren9 posts this ;)

I was about to post it :)

And thanks for the comments, most of it is an external script sending key-presses with a Klockheed Martian radio to activate things on the second ship. The carrier is, um, impossible to get into space by conventional means I think :) Once it appears in orbit though it flies OK.

Edited by Darren9

No, let me try to explain it better, I'll include pictures later. The (basic) athlete have "fixed" square-ish bases, and the (reverse mount) athlete parts have "fixed" arms. The rotation of these parts works exactly right when a ship is launched. When the parts are rotated in the VAB/SPH, however, the bases are not locked in rotation. For example, suppose I attach a 90 (basic) foldatron radially to a fuel tank. If I try to rotate this part in the editor the square-ish base that should be locked in rotation relative to the fuel tank instead rotates in opposition to it. This should not be happening.

Also, a couple of questions that are unrelated: What are the athlete trusses for and how do you use them? (I'm guessing they are locked extensions of the foldatron arms?) If I rotate a part in the editor should it remain in that position on launch? (I can't go on to check right now...)

Edited by TheGatesofLogic

That description is much clearer. The first fix is the one you're looking for. Just replace those four foldatrons with the versions sirkut uploaded.

You're are absolutely right about the athlete trusses. They make the foldatron arms longer.

Launching a part you moved in the editor will have it in the same position as it was in the editor. There's even been some talk about removing a few of these parts since they can now serve the same functions.

• 3 weeks later...

Traced the reason my solar arrays keep breaking. Turns out the trusses and tubes start to oscillate when I have extended (stock) solar panels on them. I imagine it's got something to do with the sun tracking?

I can reproduce it reliably by putting three 2.5m junior trusses on each other, adding solar panels to the tip, extending them, and then go to the space center and back. Only happens during daytime. Happens with both trusses and pipes, although I haven't tried every variant, but it doesn't happen with the stock XL girder.

Here's an image of it flipping out on a test vessel: link. It's flapping it's panels like wings.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.