[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

Thanks to DMagic, the surface sampler is nearly done and I must say it's pretty awesome! Not only does it take surface samples, it can also do asteroid samples whilst near or attached to one! I'm so pleased with this, as it now gives the smallest scale of robotics parts a use, as well as allowing unmanned sample-return missions. Here's some pics from my testing:

_784ac13c784a4e6ca02a4fdc0ea04e83

_3ccae1254b7e4d29bc5d66b15efccb78

_497218c666f7461496f6f4b318227ae8

Has anyone run into problems with the surface sampler? I didn't do all that much testing, but it's mostly pretty simple, so I'm hoping that it won't need any major fixes. I have a few minor changes that may or may not make it work properly with different tweakscale configs, but otherwise I think it's good to go.

Hey so i am new to the IR rework, once it's installed can/should I just delete the legacy folder?

You can if you don't want the old parts. Though the rework doesn't include some parts that the legacy part has, like the gantries, or flat docking washer(or whatever they are called).

Hey so i am new to the IR rework, once it's installed can/should I just delete the legacy folder?

Only if you no longer wish to have them. They'll work alongside each other fine though.

BTW, I'm looking to have a new logo made for this mod if anyone's interested in helping: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/108596-Logo-for-Infernal-Robotics-Model-Rework

All I can think of watching that video is Mecanum Nascar racing :) Gonna drive real carefully and turn to the left sometimes.

Ha! That would be awesome to see! It does seem that such wheels offer a lot more possibilities over conventional ones. I found this concept the other day of some on a mars rover: http://www.architectureandvision.com/projects/chronological/83-projects/transportation/460-011-marscruiserone-2007?showall=&start=1

11.jpg

2.jpg

An interesting design as this video (and one I've contemplated designing for KSP) but rather impractical for real applications I think, especially with a docking port in the middle.

--------------------------------------------------

On an unrelated note, does anyone use the Foldatron - Mini (Reverse Mount), and if so would you object to me changing its starting angle? I could do with something like it for some of the wheel stuff, but rather than create another part it seems more efficient to repurpose this one. Of course I can easily add another part if not.

Edited by ZodiusInfuser
Found a better video

Although the design is quite neat, I have no idea how it's gonna be maintained in real Mars (or else) conditions with all those small fractures like sand and dust. The wheels are overcomplicated for those conditions, imho.

bug: Hinge angle limits not obeyed.

Repeated movement up to the extremes of the limit set for a hinge causes it to offset the limits to one direction or the other.

The numbers for limits as input by the user, and the total range between the limits do not change. But a hinge with limits configured to e.g. Min -90 and Max 0, offsets itself to have limits of e.g. -85 and 5.

Has anyone run into problems with the surface sampler? I didn't do all that much testing, but it's mostly pretty simple, so I'm hoping that it won't need any major fixes. I have a few minor changes that may or may not make it work properly with different tweakscale configs, but otherwise I think it's good to go.

It seems at the moment, if you extend the sampler downward (on an arm) until it touches the ground (the collider touches the surface and it wont go any further) you get a "not close enough" message. You need to raise it off the ground slightly (the forks touch the ground but the collider hasn't touched the surface) to be able to engage it, I got the initial impression that it wasn't working. I wonder if that needs to be adjusted?

It seems at the moment, if you extend the sampler downward (on an arm) until it touches the ground (the collider touches the surface and it wont go any further) you get a "not close enough" message. You need to raise it off the ground slightly (the forks touch the ground but the collider hasn't touched the surface) to be able to engage it, I got the initial impression that it wasn't working. I wonder if that needs to be adjusted?

That may well be an issue with the unity setup on my end. The raycast point is set within the collision mesh of the sampler, but maybe it should be placed further back. Try this download and see if it works. Seemed fine around the KSC and on the grass to the side.

That may well be an issue with the unity setup on my end. The raycast point is set within the collision mesh of the sampler, but maybe it should be placed further back. Try this download and see if it works. Seemed fine around the KSC and on the grass to the side.
That seems to of done the trick (I only did the runway and Duna though), I didn't notice the drill animation until I zoomed in on it, it looks cool :)

bug: Hinge angle limits not obeyed.

Repeated movement up to the extremes of the limit set for a hinge causes it to offset the limits to one direction or the other.

The numbers for limits as input by the user, and the total range between the limits do not change. But a hinge with limits configured to e.g. Min -90 and Max 0, offsets itself to have limits of e.g. -85 and 5.

It's a bug of Infernal Robotics. This part mod can't do anything about that. :(

---

I have a suggestion for the trusses and tubes: Please add some sorts of 90° adapters, T-adapter and end caps to allow putting something on them. It always bugs me that there's no fitting part for the end node. My robotic arms don't always end with a magnet or wheel, I often put cameras, lights, solar panels, antennas and other stuff there.

To throw a picture in it:

G27d05q.png

A - T-adapter

B - 90° adapter

C - T-adapter (alternative)

D - 4-way-adapter

E - 6-way-adapter

F - 5-way-adapter

What do you think about that?

I have a suggestion for the trusses and tubes: Please add some sorts of 90° adapters, T-adapter and end caps to allow putting something on them. It always bugs me that there's no fitting part for the end node. My robotic arms don't always end with a magnet or wheel, I often put cameras, lights, solar panels, antennas and other stuff there.

What do you think about that?

I admit that the structural pack is incomplete. I did start designing some of the adapters you've drawn (such as the 90 degree), but then got bored and switched to doing robotics parts because structural parts are surprisingly tedious to model. I do plan to revisit these parts, but only once the main milestone of the mod is reached, i.e when the "Probe" line of parts is done.

--------------------------------------------------

Progressing towards that, here's some of the progress I've made on the wheels:

_613d3e32553c4c90a3f1c6b9263d3809

_9aaaa55db6db4fc9a72b13bcf091a6d5

You've seen most of these designs before, but I had to do a few tweaks here and there, as there were a few bits I was unhappy with. I also modelled a new tiny wheel, which is about the size of the current small wheel in stock. Next ones I'm going to work on are the ETF style ones: http://www.etftrucks.eu/Innovations/Axle-Configuration/. I'm also considering some tracks too, since it's all the same mod I'll be using (Kerbal Foundries).

I admit that the structural pack is incomplete. I did start designing some of the adapters you've drawn (such as the 90 degree), but then got bored and switched to doing robotics parts because structural parts are surprisingly tedious to model. I do plan to revisit these parts, but only once the main milestone of the mod is reached, i.e when the "Probe" line of parts is done.
Great! :)

What's on the list for your milestone? You want to add wheels, maybe tracks, a foot, a grabber... and what else? Also how long will it take (just a guess)?

... (wheels) ...

I like them! I want them! Now! ^^

Great! :)

What's on the list for your milestone? You want to add wheels, maybe tracks, a foot, a grabber... and what else? Also how long will it take (just a guess)?

The big thing you're missing from that list is gantries. As for how long it will take, not a clue, depends how much time I have free over the next month with work commitments. I need to be mindful not to work too much on KSP too as I could end up in the same situation I did last September where I lost all motivation for modding.

As always I love the authenticity of all of these. I'm just curious about your Mecanums.

1. Are the rollers made geometrically correct

2. How are you making them? Do they have multiple wheel colliders or is it just one with some clever plugin?

-----

One more rep gives you a second pip. Guys?

As always I love the authenticity of all of these. I'm just curious about your Mecanums.

1. Are the rollers made geometrically correct

2. How are you making them? Do they have multiple wheel colliders or is it just one with some clever plugin?

I've tried to model the mecanums to be as geometrically accurate as possible, without resorting to 3D CAD, but I wouldn't say they're 100%. Its actually quite simple to get the roller profile, but its a bit of trial and error to make them to be the right size to not intersect. These are my 5th and 6th attempt at them, so I've got quite good :)

The version you saw in the video used multiple wheel colliders. Unfortunately that requires infernal robotics to operate, as the wheel hubs need a velocity to get any effect. Lo-fi attempted a plugin that would spin the hubs but in game no velocity was produced. As such these new versions will likely use a single collider and make use of an extension to the KF plugin. The result should offer a more accurate and smoother behavior than the current test, as well as scale up to many more mecanums on a single craft.

Thanks for the push for rep. Are pips like steam achievements? :P

-------------------------------------------------------------

Following the mention of possibly doing tracks (since I'll be using Kerbal Foundries anyway), here's two ideas I‘ve found that seem to fit in with robotics:

Thoughts? Everything else I found seemed out-of-scope, or just plain boring.

Thanks for the push for rep. Are pips like steam achievements? :P

Yes, except that it is given a lot to people for trivial reasons, making them pretty much a useless metric. Steam Achievements actually need you to achieve something. The fact that you just scored your second one proves the point, I guess :)

I think it is more useful to show your appreciation the old fashioned way: great work!

'the new chaos' truck idea seems to have huge potential:

- foldable trucks that take less space in fairings

- variable height so can be use for cranes or balance the body to horizontal position when being on slopes (reducing turn over risk)

- tracks in 'up' position reduce space used so also it's good for cranes and utility vehicles that have not much room for maneuvring

- folded out horizontally they make short rovers more stable when breaking and with high center of mass (i.e. when moving large tanks or base elements horizontally). also this position might act like additional front/end stabilisers for cranes (and then you need only side stabilisers)

Edited by riocrokite

During the development a lot of new stuffed became available for download which is not listed in the first post. It takes some time to find all the new gems in this 110 pages monster thread. So here is the list of the unlisted:

Four Foldatrons Fix - 12.10.2014 - Post - Download

Fixes the 4 buggy foldatrons.

Athlete's foot - 11.01.2015 - Post - Download

Makes sure to leave marks in the ground! It's also useful to illuminate flattened soil.

_644abc75044d4f5186bbb251dc844ba9

_d0fc4015e7754053bfdc93b33075f010

_580cff45bfd649c0bd75c9f657000d25

_acc0ab927b6041e2bc474d908cdbc341

_86cb6a66ba494597836f57c95448c56c

_f8e128bd5dc146479a45138de4f2e572

_89dde7680d00482a842b714b72b1d3fb

Surface Sampler - 29.01.2015 - Post - Download

Don't want to stick your Kerbal hands into the mud? Then stay home, use a probe and poke the ground with the sampler! Comes with a free light.

_cb0e95609e744ad3b20ea5dd1492042d

_784ac13c784a4e6ca02a4fdc0ea04e83

_3ccae1254b7e4d29bc5d66b15efccb78

_497218c666f7461496f6f4b318227ae8

Mechanical Grasper - 18.01.2015 - Post - Download

Like the IR grappling hook it grabbles with anything it is slammed into.

_dab171493e534c089ae79ed327c1b848

Adaptrons - 28.01.2015 - Post - Download

Two new actuators for your needs. Industrial© robot® arm™ approves!

_464dca4553bd4f59b269b66462f14dfa

_5fa78c32190d462f9916f1443307a156

_79ea4e80418a4a468a46f87d4d8fe5d5

Note: All parts are still in beta!

All information, links and pictures are from various posts in this thread.

Edited by *Aqua*
Updated links for Surface Sampler and added Adaptrons

Thanks aqua. The main reason these aren't on the main page is because they'll be part of a larger download that I'm not finished with yet, mainly because there's still tweaks I wish to do, hence the beta tag.

BTW, there was a newer version of the sampler that I posted the other day. Also the Adaptrons.

----------------------------

Edit: is anyone interested in doing a logo for infernal robotics? I asked over in general add-on affairs but only got a brief discussion going: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/108596-Logo-for-Infernal-Robotics-Model-Rework

The idea is I'll use this as part of my restructuring of the OP when the next pre-release comes about.

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

You are right! I had overlooked the links. Maybe it was just too late last night.

---

Regarding the logo I'm sorry I can't help you. I can write plugins (difficult because there's almost no documentation) but swinging a paint-brush is impossible. It'll look like that.

Edit: is anyone interested in doing a logo for infernal robotics? I asked over in general add-on affairs but only got a brief discussion going: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/108596-Logo-for-Infernal-Robotics-Model-Rework

The idea is I'll use this as part of my restructuring of the OP when the next pre-release comes about.

I'll have a bash, but I've no idea how it'll turn out :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.