[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

Is it possible to make spherical joints with current IR release ? More generally, parts that can act on two axes/planes ?

To be even more precise : SINGLE part, that can act on MULITPLE axes for translation or planes for rotation.

Also, are there any parts in KSP designed to be springs / force dampeners ?

Edited by fatcargo

Single part, no. I believe the same trick that was used to make the Station Hub could be used to make a two-axis pair of parts that look like one. You might check the Tutorial thread to see if it's mentioned how to do that.

Landing gear can have pseudo hydraulic motion. I don't know whether that can be integrated into robotic parts.

Is it possible to make spherical joints with current IR release ? More generally, parts that can act on two axes/planes ?

To be even more precise : SINGLE part, that can act on MULITPLE axes for translation or planes for rotation.

Also, are there any parts in KSP designed to be springs / force dampeners ?

This is really the wrong place to be asking this, but:

1) No there's no current way to have multiple axes on a single part. There was work on some mod to do this, but nothing surfaced.

2) The only stock things that have springiness are wheels and landing gear.

----------------------------

Edit: Would a ball castor be of use at all? By that I mean a wheel with low friction and no control at all (like the KF repulsors) but more realistically themed? And if so, what size? I was recently reminded of this video where a user is pushing a set of these wheels around (http://youtu.be/bI06lujiD7E), and here's another: http://youtu.be/ACohrH64YKs.

Of course it would be great if it could be driven, but as with mecanums, no plugin exists for that yet.

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

This is really the wrong place to be asking this, but:

1) No there's no current way to have multiple axes on a single part. There was work on some mod to do this, but nothing surfaced.

2) The only stock things that have springiness are wheels and landing gear.

----------------------------

Edit: Would a ball castor be of use at all? By that I mean a wheel with low friction and no control at all (like the KF repulsors) but more realistically themed? And if so, what size? I was recently reminded of this video where a user is pushing a set of these wheels around (http://youtu.be/bI06lujiD7E), and here's another: http://youtu.be/ACohrH64YKs.

Of course it would be great if it could be driven, but as with mecanums, no plugin exists for that yet.

I forgot to reply here for ball casters - would they improve landing/takeoff for crafts on airless bodies ?

I don't have much expirience in landing crafts in vacuum (mostly crashing because trying to land sideways right before touchdown), so the above may be just a beginner's misunderstanding of landing procedures and use of landing gears / struts.

KF repulsors should, by their nature, have quite good dampening effect and make all the difference between lithobraking and landing, right ? :)

I'd like to put in a small request for some right angle pieces added to the structural pack. Your parts are so cool looking, and it would be sweet to have those to make seamless mechanisms.

Great work with these. I especially like the foldatron parts.

http://imgur.com/a/WuAio

confirming that new wheels work great and add a lot of building possibilities:)

That highlights the need for me to get cracking with the large wheel, as they look so undersized for that vehicle :P

just one thing, new movatrons seems to be working perfectly even if they are broken ;)
I've noticed this too, and locally have upped the tolerances that cause breakage. I suspect to do it right though I'd need to actually model a busted wheel, which is something my modelling style doesn't lend itself well towards. For now just up the impactTolerance and overSpeedDamage (I think they're called) within the wheel module definition.

That highlights the need for me to get cracking with the large wheel, as they look so undersized for that vehicle :P

Personally I don't think we need larger wheels in a robotic module as there are other mods for wheels and related stuff, better concentrate efforts on releasing the rework for the masses, not only lucky people lurking in the dev thread.

On the other hand I liked the idea of omni-directional mecanum wheels and balls with multiple axis movements, but both ideas are currently impossible to implement as I understand

Personally I don't think we need larger wheels in a robotic module as there are other mods for wheels and related stuff, better concentrate efforts on releasing the rework for the masses, not only lucky people lurking in the dev thread.

I'd say this is completely necessary in the rework :Phttp://www.etftrucks.eu/Innovations/Axle-Configuration/

On the other hand I liked the idea of omni-directional mecanum wheels and balls with multiple axis movements, but both ideas are currently impossible to implement as I understand

My hope is if I keep mentioning it, someone will like the idea and start development of a solution ;)

My hope is if I keep mentioning it, someone will like the idea and start development of a solution ;)

Yeah, I get the hint ;) Nice work as always! Busted wheel could be really simple, just Boolean a chunk out with something craggy, or apply some kind of bend modifier. If you want the wheels to stop working when busted even if there's no busted model yet, create an empty object for the module to activate and assign in the config (IIRC - it's been a long time since I messed with the stock module).

I'd say this is completely necessary in the rework :Phttp://www.etftrucks.eu/Innovations/Axle-Configuration/

Well, I agree, this wheels deserve to be in a robotic mod, but unless we have some mechanics in a game to force the use of stabilizing wheels/robotic systems there will be very limited incentive to use this type of wheels apart from purely visual preferences. But I really like the wheels you posted recently - they are functional and visually clean and pleasant.

I am currently following Dr Goddard steps by writing the KOS autolevelling script for my rover just for fun (script will keep the cabin oriented up on uneven terrain, up to a certain limits ofc).

Edit: I've had a quick play around, and putting prefixes such as IR-A, IR-T, IR-U etc, lets me add a bit of order back to the parts, but I need to play about with it more.

That would be perfect, those prefixes would keep all the IR parts together, distinguish between the packs and keep the original names for identification!

• 3 weeks later...
Are there newer versions of the files? Sounds like there has been some work done on the stuff since last August.
The dates may have not been updated. There's also been some beta test new stuff added that's not made the front page yet, some wheels a few pages back and also some/most of what's listed in This post. Reading back as far as the beginning of January is the only way to find most of it at the moment, it seems we're getting close to an update with a few more official packs though :)

The dates may have not been updated. There's also been some beta test new stuff added that's not made the front page yet, some wheels a few pages back and also some/most of what's listed in This post. Reading back as far as the beginning of January is the only way to find most of it at the moment, it seems we're getting close to an update with a few more official packs though :)

Waiting anxiously... :D

Do these parts require a fixed Rework_TweakScale.cfg for the new release of tweakscale?

Some of the parts that had small, medium and large scale sizes now only show 1.0 to 0.25, is anyone else getting this problem?

Edited by The Space Man

Do these parts require a fixed Rework_TweakScale.cfg for the new release of tweakscale?

Some of the parts that had small, medium and large scale sizes now only show 1.0 to 0.25, is anyone else getting this problem?

That's a bug in TweakScale! The last version includes some code to better survive incomplete configs, which should not get active here.

As a workaround, you can remove the minScale and maxScale lines of the IR scaletypes. Those are obsolate now (TweakScale 1.52.1), and in this case were not needed anyway. I'll fix the bug in the next version of TweakScale.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.